Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

remysmomma`s Photos

Default Getting a second puppy

I'm considering getting a second dog in a year or two and would like to plan ahead breed-wise. I was wondering if the only option for a play-mate for Remy would be another big dog. To be honest, I'd love to get a corgi, but am not sure how that would play out with the size difference. Remy seems to be on the smaller side for a pyr, but a corgi would only be about 30 pounds. If i were to get another large dog I'd probably go with a golden retriever or berner.

I know that at the end of the day it all comes down to how to two interact, but would getting a small dog be a bad idea in general? Thanks

Road Dawg

I dont think getting a smaller dog would be a terrible idea, just dont get a dog with herding instincts or it will likely herd Remy, which is no fun for anyone.

Corgi are generally pretty easy going, but they get FAT.
    Berners are probably the most well tempered dogs aside from goldens, but Berners have a alarming number of health related issues, mostly in the form of different cancers, due to the fact that the breed almost completely died out about 100 years ago, and there was a lot of inbreeding that took place in order to revive the breed. But if you took out an insurance plan on them, a Berner would be a great way to go, I have never met one that wasnt 10000% pleasant.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I met a Berner who tried to attack Sebastian at the dog park once. Breed is not always an accurate indicator of a dog’s ability to tolerate other dogs and/or people.

I could be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that Corgis tend to be on the barky side. Given your earlier posts about Remy’s barking, they may not be a great fit for your situation.

If your main reason for bringing a second dog into your home is to have a playmate for Remy, I would let Remy’s personality be a major factor in deciding what kind of dog might be a good fit. Some dogs are really good about handicapping their play style when playing with a smaller dog, while others are not. I know Sebastian has a greater tolerance for dogs that are smaller than he is, while Chester tends to be afraid of smaller dogs and puppies. Chester also has zero tolerance for brachycephalic breeds, and neither boy can tolerate intact males.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

when you see the pup you have in mind, and the time is right, and Remy says "yeah...this one"! you'll know...you can plan all you want (which is a good thing) however...sometimes that one little or big one catches your heart & life just falls into place

I have always had herding dogs with my Pyrs....they tend to "relate" to each other if you can call it that...also opposite genders usually do better together

Will look forward to seeing who ends up being your next companion!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doggy 003.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	9664

Name:	Angel & Rudy profile.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	9665

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    you can plan all you want (which is a good thing) however...sometimes that one little or big one catches your heart & life just falls into place

Name:	91656AA2-CBB5-4E8B-889D-EF908FB24BDD.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	9666

Sebastian and Chester really chose each other. I was not in a place where I felt ready to take on the responsibility of a second dog when Chester followed us home and made himself comfortable. The rest is history.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian