Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Help! Wonít walk on grass and pee outside

Kit does not walk outside when it is wet! She won’t pee or poo outside because the grass, gravel, and pavement is wet. She does the whole ground is hot lava dance. She won’t even put her paws on the grass. I’ve tried a few times and she will only stand on cement or pavement. It means she is going inside. ��We live in Florida in the summer and it is always raining everyday! I am grateful for any ideas or advice

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Kit does not walk outside when it is wet! She won’t pee or poo outside because the grass, gravel, and pavement is wet. She does the whole ground is hot lava dance. She won’t even put her paws on the grass. I’ve tried a few times and she will only stand on cement or pavement. It means she is going inside. ��We live in Florida in the summer and it is always raining everyday! I am grateful for any ideas or advice
    Kit is going to have to learn that it's okay to walk outside when it's raining

Pippa HATED going outside when it rained. The first couple of times that I had to take her out to pee and poop in the rain because it was either that or peeing and pooping in the house, she was not very happy. In fact, she refused to walk.

So, I tried to make it as fun as possible for her. I know that she loves to be massaged, so now every time that it's raining outside I show her her towel and she walks with me outside. She knows that after our walk she is going to be treated like a queen and that I am going to massage her and drying her off with a towel.

snow0160`s Photos

This is really creative and good advice. Lots of advice have been given on fb and nothing this good. I have not tried to treat her like a queen after. This dog loves massages!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian has mild to moderate storm phobia, and will only go outside in the rain if he really really really has to. When he comes inside, we play ďthe towel gameĒ, where I throw a towel over him and dry him off, and he really loves that. He also enjoys getting muddy paw prints on the couch.

We donít get the daily Summer storms here that you have in Central Florida, but I have been thinking about going on Pinterest and getting ideas for some sort of easy-to-clean artificial turf patch I can build for my two in the garage for those days when Sebastian flat-out refuses to go outside. He will choose to hold it for 24 hours or more, and I worry that he will develop either a UTI or a bowel obstruction. If you have a good place to put an indoor potty patch for Kit, that might be worth looking into.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    easy-to-clean artificial turf patch I can build for my two in the garage for those days when Sebastian flat-out refuses to go outside.
    I was thinking about this this morning. I went to Home Depot the other day and I saw this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREENLIN...FVR7AQodepwAqQ

and thought it might be a good idea for those dogs that refuse to go outside when it's too hot or raining too much.

snow0160`s Photos

Good idea! I should align my kitchen with this. Lol.

I am not sure why she canít pick a different place. There are a lot of rooms that we donít cook and eat in. Maybe one day.