Thread: Summer Coat

Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Summer Coat

Kora has just started to blow out her coat, and I've been trying to brush her regularly, especially the past week since its been so bad. She got a bath from getting very muddy at the dog park, and after washing and blowing her dry I noticed that her fur on her hind legs is incredibly thin now, so much so that when she sits, I can see her pink skin at her knees, and when she lays down you can see faint hints of pink skin underneath. Her hair everywhere else is fine, its only on her hind legs, both look about the same.

Is it normal for her fur to be this thin on her summer coat? Its like she has NO undercoat left on her back legs.

I only use a rake and a slicker brush on her.

Jewel`s Photos

She's about a year old now, right? It is common for pups to drop their entire coat at about a year old. What you are seeing is not her summer coat. She's going through a coat change and it will take about 3 months for her new coat to grow back.

My Bijou used to drop coat in March and so by summer she would be in full coat... My first pyr used to blow coat in December... So they don't always blow coat according to season.

My current teenager Ren started with that yearling coat blow at around 10 months and he dropped a huge amount of coat. He was practically naked in October. Now that the heat is here, he is in complete full coat, poor guy. As he's a boy, I am not sure if he will go through yearly coat blows like females do.

Road Dawg

Yup! She is just over a year old!
    This is very reassuring! Did your pyr's coat change much? Kora's coat is fairly short, will it stay that way once her full adult coat comes in?

Jewel`s Photos

Ren carries a lot of coat and he was like that at 8 weeks. Is Kora spayed? Spayed females generally carry a bigger coat than intact females. My Bijou carried a thin little coat when she was intact. After she was spayed, she grew a much thicker coat (though still nowhere near what Ren has).

Road Dawg

Yes she has been spayed since she was about 7 months.
    Her coat has never been super heavy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31062151_10156839433278268_5262133363430391808_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	9650

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

PyrGriff Nice to read this about Kora... Zech is 14 months and his coat blew out so much I thought he'd be bald..
    It was and still is embarrassing we'd pull up somewhere in the car get out, open the back door and literally it was like Charlie Brown's Pig pen a whirlwind of hair would just explode out of the car ( he goes to work everyday with us)

despite my Wonderful Hubby's vacuuming all the time and our brushing ( we only use a rake and Slicker brush too!) NOTHING contains the hair when it blows LOL
    They say barking is a thing and that it is; but OMGosh the hair is a very real thing too... Literally it escapes under doors and I personally think it acts like water as soon as it separates and does whatever it wants...

Here is Zech's legs today ( I just went and took this) his hair is coming back in but it blew out so much the skin is visible

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9274.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	9790

and OMGosh I love the unicorn tail!!!