Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Teeth/Snapping - "I don't want to come out"

This has now happened twice. Some background, so we've had some issues with snapping at people, two of which were traveling (not his favorite thing) AND he most likely had pancreatitis due to diet. We know he had pancreatitis during the second one, and probably pretty severe at the time.

Anyways, that made sense with those two things and also one of the "I don't want to come out" instances. However, this happened again last night, so I'm curious if the GreatPyr.com collective has any wisdom to impart.

The basic scenario that has happened twice is as follows:

1. Benaiah (that's the dog, he will be 6 in July) gets into a somewhat enclosed area and lays down.
    2. We try to get him to come out for whatever reason (will detail the two instances later)
    3. He is non-responsive. Which is fairly normal.
    4. We attempt to grab his collar, which is also very normal. We do this every time he's inside and needs to go outside, but he doesn't want to get up off the floor. Typically, his response his to just have to be dragged a bit, sometimes he puts his paw up or something.
    5. In the two instances, he will bare his teeth (boy, does that look scary!) and if you persist, he will snap and make teeth contact. I have not pushed it enough to find out what happens later, of course.

The two instances, in particular:

-- The Van Incident
    We had gotten a new van. He may have thought we were leaving on a trip, not sure. He got in the back and refused to come out. He finally came out, interestingly, when my wife told him to "go check" (our lingo that he picked up for going and barking at ... something). He got out and ran off barking.

-- The Office Incident
    I work from home, so the office is just a bedroom. Last night I was up late into the evening, and he had come in prior. He came in to the office and went to sleep under the table/desk. All normal, he looked relatively happy. When it came time to go to bed and him to go out, he exhibited the same behavior. He also would NOT look at me in the face, he very intentionally avoided eye contact, which is actually fairly abnormal. I finally got him to go out by telling him we were going on a walk (and I did/played with him some outside). He came out, peed, chewed on some grass... and then earnestly tried to come back in.

That last part was fairly unusual. Usually, at night, as soon as he's out of the house he goes off barking at things. This time, he came out ... and then wanted to come right back in. Including sitting at the door and barking to come in, which he almost never does.

I did let him inside, and he slept all night inside. He seems relatively normal.

Some other random tidbits:
    * Outside of these instances, and when he was a puppy, he never snaps/bares his teeth like this. Even if he wants us to stop something, the most he does is just mouth. This is very different from that.
    * He is not getting table scraps anymore and to our knowledge, does not have pancreatitis, though we haven't done a test recently. No food change, although he is outside all the time and we have misc. animals, so there's plenty of other stuff to eat...
    * He was acting pretty normal and actually playing very carefully earlier in the day.
    * He is on edge today. He was acting pretty nervous last night as well.
    * He has still never shown any aggression whatsoever to any children. They play all over him; if he gets annoyed, he just gets up and leaves.

Mostly, I'm wondering if this could be caused by any of the following? Grasping at straws
    1. Weird weather? He doesn't like weather changes, and it's been a bit weird the last couple days, though not THAT weird.
    2. Eating who knows what outside and getting a bit sick from it? Seems like a bit of an extreme response, but ... :P
    3. Not having gotten to go on a walk recently? It's been multiple days. That's not that unusual, and he has 3 acres to run around with (we live on a farm, but have 3 acres fenced off near the house). Sometimes walks are regular, but not always.

Thank you for any of your input or "yeah, that happened to me" sorts of things. Every time this gets up, it concerns us (he's a big dog, and it's a scary thing) ... but we love him dearly, and would hate to have to get rid of him for any reason, but would if he becomes a safety issue with our kids Which he doesn't seem to so far. As long as he's not forced to do something he doesn't want to do, he's never had any problems, ha. :P

Jewel`s Photos

Given the pancreatitis history, I would be wondering whether there is a health issue going on. He didn't want to get up from a down position and avoided eye contact when he knew you wanted him to get up. A dog that doesn't seem to want to get up can be a suggestion he's not feeling too well.

If it were me, I would take him to the vet and check if there is anything going on with his pancreas. It doesn't hurt to run a full panel blood chemistry while you are at it. We lost Bijou at age 6 to cancer. In the months before we realized she was really ill, I picked up on things that were different but I chalked it up to her age, that she was probably just slowing down a tad. I was wrong; it wasn't her age that was slowing her down...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Second the vet check to see if there's something going on healthwise whether it is a pancreatic issue or something else. My big guy will refuse to get up and avoid eye contact if he doesn't intend to do what I'm asking. I don't force it, ever. He's had more health issues than any dog ever should have and I know he lives with some level of pain all the time even though he's only 4 years old. I just make sure I have a big enough bargaining item to make him choose to move even if he didn't want to when I ask. Just not worth pushing the issue in my mind. He's telling me he's uncomfortable and I respect that. He loves to eat so finding something that will make him change his mind is not hard.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Thank you both We will be taking him in to get a blood panel done. I'm wondering if maybe he has actual pancreatitis that, I don't know, either occasionally flares up or slowly is getting worse or something like that. It appeared that it was just triggered by food previously, but.

He's acting a bit more normal, although he still refused to go out last night... a bit less aggressively, but I also didn't push it, heh. Seems to be totally fine outside/during the day.