Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default Does anyone else's indoor dog refuse to come inside?

Latte is about 13 months old, and for the past 2-3 months she has been wanting to be outside ALL the time. She is happy enough when she is inside, but whenever she is let outside she just wants to stay out there indefinitely. When I open the door to call her inside, she "forgets" all of her obedience commands, and when she sees me start to approach her she will lie down and roll over! When I really need her to come inside (i.e., we have to leave the house), I now have to pull her into a standing position, clip her leash onto her collar, and lead her inside. She still resists this much of the time.

She can't be left outside while we are gone because of barking and the possibility that someone will open the gate and let her out (meter reader, neighborhood kid, someone up to mischief, etc). And now that the weather is getting warm (we live in Texas, and it will soon be HOT), I worry about her overheating out there with that thick coat of hers (she does always have fresh water inside and outside).

Her favorite thing to do is to sit under a tree or the trampoline and watch for people and dogs walking by on the other side of the fence. Is this what Great Pyrs do? Is this their guarding behavior?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

All of the livestock guard dogs were once used to herd livestock outside. Those that are working will do better if kept outside. So, yes, it is a guarding behavior: they need a job and love being outside. Your dog's behavior is totally normal. If it gets REALLY HOT in Texas, I am sure she will find some shade - or perhaps go inside. My dog is not a working dog and she likes to be by me when I'm inside, but when I'm gone she sits outside most of the time. When I want my dog to come inside I offer her a treat and she comes in right away.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

when I call Rudy in for the night he is "fairly" good at coming in...depending on the time of year & the time of night!

but during the summer, during the day, this is where you will usually find Rudy...between the air conditioning vents!
    Maybe Latte will figure out the same "cool" spot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coolest place in the house!.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	9594

lattelove`s Photos

LOL, Rudy knows where it's good! Since it has been getting warmer, Latte has already moved from napping on the carpet to napping on the wood floors. This will be our first full summer with her, so we will see how she does.

Mikelg84, that's what I was assuming, that it's just normal guarding behavior, but I wasn't sure if it would be manifested like this in a dog with no working experience. I guess those guarding genes are very strong! She used to run inside when offered a treat, but lately her desire to be outside is stronger than her desire for treats. I might have to find more tempting treats!

Jewel`s Photos

The "don't-wanna-come-in-and-you-can't-make-me" is a fairly common phase that teenage pups go through. For the most part, they do get better about listening.

My guess is that as the weather warms, she'll be more willing to come inside.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

My previous Maremma loved AC and cool shaded tree. She would dig a massive trench and guard. Kit will not come inside at all unless I have food or make her. It is a teenage thing. Once winter hits these guys all love the cold!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I have a couple that really would prefer to be outside most of the time but I can tell you that with the temps above 100 today and flies out, EVERYONE was racing to get inside to take a nap! Our situation is such that all four of mine need to nap in my room. I literally have to rearrange the furniture in an attempt to give everyone their own space. Tyro not picture as he gets the bathroom.

Name:	091.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	9598

Name:	088.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	9599

Name:	090.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	9600

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Haha I love the photos. They look like they are very happy to be indoors!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The best way Iíve heard the guardian instincts described is that guarding isnít what they do, itís who they are. The instinct is there whether they have experience guarding livestock or not. Sebastian started guarding me the day I brought him home - when he was somewhere around 3 months old.

Sebastian also went through the ďdonít wanna, canít make meĒ phase. He and Chester each get a treat every time they come inside. I try to switch the treats up to keep it interesting. There are still times when I have to go out there and force the issue, but thanks to time and treats, those times are fewer and farther between.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian