Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Kit is 17 months and her guarding instinct has really kicked in but her personality has not changed that much. She will not bark when people knock unless it is a loud knock. For a long time, I kept telling everyone for three months that she is 15 months because that is how old she was when I started doing all my travels this year. I've been telling people she is 15 months for 2 months lol. I think Kit has half a year to go before she reaches her adult personlity.

I HAD a no-pull Easy Walk harness, which used to work on her. Unfortunately, she ate this harness. She chewed the buckle in half on the front and back. LOL I noticed some no-pull harnesses get better reviews than the EASY Walk. I wonder if they are better. Kit doesn't pull when she is walking, she lunges or jumps esp after she makes eye contact. She will bark and whine and have a tantrum and refuse to move. All of this stops if she can jump on the person or dog. To an outsider, her bark and jumps looks frightening like it is aggression. I've seen labs do this but they tend not to bark and jump. It doesn't help that idiot passerbys sometimes keep piling over while I wrestle my dog to not jump. Sometimes during the tantrums she think it is a game and will start circling around like a maniac. When I pull on the leash, she thinks we are playing tuggy. Some people are not afraid and the behavior is encouraged. No one does this with Lucky because he is the run of the mill doodle.

snow0160`s Photos

Update:
    I ordered a StarMark prong collar just to test out because it was made of plastic. Here is what I've learned:
    DO NOT USE A PRONG COLLAR ON AN LGD!!!

I posted about training collars on a LGD group on facebook. Many swore by the prong collar. I figured I should give it a try. Here are my results on my two dogs:
    Maremma:
    Kit got very mad and threw a tantrum because as she lunged, the collar pinched her neck. She got frustrated and tried to eat the leash.
    I believe that the negative stimuli might trigger aggression for this breed. I've done a lot to socialize Kit so she would not react this way to one use. However, I can really see this going HORRIBLY wrong for other guardian breeds. They are strong-willed and have high pain tolerance. The pinching is not a positive reinforcement.

Poodle Mix:
    I tried the exact collar on my Goldendoodle and it took two corrections for him to no longer pull. He responded immediately and quite well. By the end of the walk, he actually started correcting himself. It was very different. I don't think it is completely a breed thing because I can definitely see an energetic teenage retriever could be resistant to a prong collar. I think a lot is dependent on their personalities but I don't think any guardian breed should be trained with negative corrections based on this experience.

Jewel`s Photos

Was wondering... did Kit go through an adjustment period where she learned gradually what the prong collar can do if she pulled? I can see that if she only found out the consequences suddenly when she lunged, given her personality, it is consistent that she would throw a temper tantrum. On the other hand, a lot of LGDs aren't high spirited like Kit and aren't prone to temper tantrums and thus they might react differently. So I think results can differ greatly due to an individual dog's personalty. As to the aggressive response issue, to use a prong on a known reactive/aggressive dog can make the dog act even worse. But that applies to all breeds, not just LGDs.

I've never used a prong to walk my dogs. But I did put a prong on Bijou once for obedience class. It didn't work for us because Bijou found the prongs itchy and kept stopping to scratch her neck. Thinking about it... I suppose it did achieve the objective of making the dog not pull... since she would stop every few steps to scratch...

snow0160`s Photos

Actually, that was what someone else said. It takes an adjustment period. I suppose she should wear it around until she gets used to it. I might want to do that for Lucky. He will still pull with the prong on. It depends on the stimuli. If he sees something very fun like a squirel, it is like the prong collar isn't there.

Kit is a reactive dog but not aggressive. Kit doesn't pull and has a perfect heel. Her problem is that she will jump at things that she can interact with usually people and small dogs. One time a guy came over and started baby talking to her in a high pitched voice and she freaked out and wouldn't stop jumping for five min. She was so happy and excited by his voice. I swear she can read people's eye expression. If they show her interest in any way, she will go bananas. If she was off leash like at the dog park, she would go right up to the people and RIGHT UNDER THEIR HANDs in a very stealthy way. When off leash, if a stranger opens up their arms to give her a hug, she would jump on them. I must have taught her this at some point when she was smaller and now it is painfully difficult to break.
    I kinda miss Sahara, when people showed her attention, she would just walk away or give them stink eye.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    How long did it last? Did you also use the gentle leader?
    It lasted about six months but seemed a LOT longer, and I never tried using the GL