Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Cool Kit, You Adorable Kiss A$$

Kit is Trouble with a capital T but.... And there is a bit BUT... She is absolutely worth it and the world's biggest kiss a$$ you will ever meet. This week she has eaten my library book, magazine, new blinds, and part of a newly delivered amazon box. Thank goodness the content is safe. This isn't the first library book she has eaten either! After taping the book back together, I look over and she is having a giant pool of diarrhea in my kitchen. I should have known to close the gate after leaving the bathroom, where my cat has his litterbox. Nothing is quite as delectable as cat turds! She's had six accidents in two days and thankfully it stopped after a whole lot of Pepto Bismol. Chasing her around the house with a syringe full of Pepto was fun. Let's just say I have a load of pink laundry to wash. There is never a dull moment with Kit! I used to wonder how people are able to write a novel about one dog or if these movie dogs (like Oddball, Marley, Beethoven, etc) are real. The answer is YES ABSOLUETLY!

So you are probably wondering how is she a kiss a$$, right? She is the cuddliest and most manipulative dog you will ever meet. If we have a guest over, she will glue herself to the guest. If you make any eye contact, she will immediately roll over for a tummy rub. Of course, she will guard the house but typically, if a guest is invited in, she proves to be a sycophantic ham! Her method usually works and the guest falls for her spell. How do I know this? Because she is ALWAYS the FIRST one to get treats! Kit is IRRISISTABLY charming, charismatic, and it gets results! LOL

Everyday after work, she comes over and lays on my lap. It can't be two inches from my lap, I mean ON my lap. She prefers to sit on me but decided that the head will do for now. After she ate the library book, she looked very remorseful and she came over to sleep with her head next to mine all night. Aww!! How can I stay mad after a nice nap with my giant teddy bear? After eating the blinds, she came over with a ball and wanted to go outside. Cleaver dog! After the diarrhea incidents, she was very careful not to touch any with her pristine paws. She came over and burried her head under the pillow while her back touches my leg. How do I have such a giant lap dog? How can you not feel bad for this dog? She is clearly sorry about the brown lake in the kitchen but she is not proud. Instantly forgiven. You can't stay mad at her.

She seems to know when I cook, the sound of the ice maker, and the blender. Nothing delights Kit more than spinach, kale, ice, and meat falling off the kitchen island. She will sit still like a statue until she gets her food. What a good girl!

My trainer says Kit manipulates me while we train and she is very good at it. Kit has gotten into the habit of repeating a move rapidly for more treats. She also does sad eyes which causes me to give her more treats each time. I am weak, I can't say no to that gorgeous face!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Oh my! hahaha

I can relate to your post. I love Pippa and I wouldn't change her for anything in the world. The way she looks at me, the naps she takes on my lap, how gentle she is with kids and other dogs... overshadows...

- Eating my wedding watchband
    - Nibbling the couch
    - Eating +10 cupcakes
    - Pooping on a lush rug after eating the cupcakes
    - Eating new curtains
    - Eating a loaf of bread
    - Scratching the hardwood floor
    - Eating used toilet paper
    - Digging a cave that can fit 213134115245 people in the yard
    - Ruining trees and flowers

LOL

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    I am weak, I can't say no
    LOL, that pretty much sums it up!

Standard response around here to anything bad the dog has done.. "isn't [he/she] wonderful?!"

We need more recent pictures of Kit!

edit to add:

since we are on to sharing war stories... Ren's list includes...
    - gave me a bloody nose almost breaking it
    - gave me a black eye (separate incident from the almost broke my nose)
    - broke my husband's toe, I mean, he caused Daddy to fall and break a toe
    - let himself out of the front door 4 times (or 5, I am losing count)
    - went knocking, not kidding, knocking, on neighbor's door to visit their home after he let himself out
    - burying greasy knuckle bones and smelly fish treats in the corner of the leather couch and once re-burying a bone he just dug up from the backyard entirely covered in dirt under my husband's pillow

just a few of the things he's done...

snow0160`s Photos

My husband says that given all the stuff Kit does, if it was any other dog, it would be in a new home. It is quite amazing how much love we have for our LGDs given their misbehavior. This is especially true for the kill mommy teenage years. Everyone here on this forum could relate! I have a few questions
    1. What keep you loyal to your dog through the tough times?
    2. What is your dog’s biggest “Marley/ Beethoven/ movie dog” moment?

My answer:

1. I am really enamored with livestock guardian breeds. When they look at you, it feels like they can see through your soul. Their loyalty and devotion is unlike any other relationship I have. No other breed makes me cry, laugh, and love as hard! I know I am being a bit of a romantic sap but there is something truly magical about them.

To me Kit is also very special for her breed because she is unusually social, friendly, and cuddly. I wish my previous Maremma had these qualities. Every time I clean up her diarrhea, find pieces of chewed books, or any other Marley moment, I remind myself how lucky I am to have her.

2. I had to replace my bed frame due to puppy Kit. No I’m not kidding, she ate the wood off the headboard and footboard. She was like a termite! When I ordered a new metal frame bed, my mom thought it was a bit extravagant. Every now and then I still catch her chewing on the metal framed bed! My bed has zero damage and I consider it money well spent!

Ps sorry for typos. iPad typing is not my thing.

snow0160`s Photos

Hey guys!!
    Kit ate her easy walk harness yesterday! I guess she really has moved on to the gentle leader. When I showed her how the buckle was bitten in half, she rolled over for a tummy rub. This dog is really smart, whenever I yell "no" she rolls over to show me her tummy. I've never met a dog who loves tummy rubs as much. If you don't rub and keep her hanging she would paw at your hands. LOL.

Well, now that the easy walk harness is gone, I think she is telling that she is really ready to move on to the gentle leader!!

I should adopt Kit's maneuver for work. The next time I make careless mistakes, rather than a reluctant apology, I should just learn to make people smile. That has to be the fastest way people forgive. It works really well on me! Dog has become my sensei.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    I should adopt Kit's maneuver for work.
    You had me really worried there for a minute. I was afraid you were going to try rolling over and showing your tummy or eating the aspect of your work that you find distasteful!

snow0160`s Photos

haha! My boss might be very amused if I tried to roll over. lol

I am obsessed with this dog! She brings me so much joy! Everyone I know thinks I am a super dog fan. I am always covered in white dog hair wherever I go.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

OMG I LOVE this.. I snorted so hard Zech thought there were goodies to be had!! I am there and Zech is inventing "kit" style fun for me!!!