Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

remysmomma`s Photos

Default Is my puppy underweight?

Remy is exactly 9 months old today and weighs 65 pounds. Is he underweight? His vet has not said anything is wrong with him, I just want to make sure he is healthy. I feed him a decent amount of food and lots of treats!

What should a 9 month old male weigh? Can anyone predict his adult weight?

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Is Remy, happy, healthy...looking like he has good muscle tone & energy?

Vet not concerned...I wouldn't be either.

I would be more concerned if you said that Remy was a bit "fluffy" & didn't want to exercise much..

"Can anyone predict his adult weight"...probably just about as accurately as a pediatric Doc can predict the personality of any of the babies he sees

Jewel`s Photos

Ok, so, if you were to ask whether 65 lbs for a 9 month old purebred pyr is on the smaller side of average for the breed, then I would say, yes, 65 lbs would be on the small end for male purebred pyr pups.

The thing is, you don't know for sure whether Remy is a purebred pyr. You were told he's a golden. Therefore, while he may look like a pyr pup as a young puppy, he may not be purebred pyr. If he's part retriever, he could end up smaller than purebred pyrs.

I had a 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie. He maintained a skinny 70 lbs at maturity. My petite framed purebred female pyr was 59 lbs at 9 months and matured out around 77 lbs. She was on the small end for purebred pyrs. Not that it mattered to me - she was perfect in my eyes.

The key isn't about that number on the scale. You have to look at the dog's body condition. If he's emaciated where you can count every single one of his ribs and feel the indent between each rib, then you are not feeding him enough. But if you are able to feel his ribs but not feel that indent between the ribs, he's in fine shape. I would image that if he were severely underweight your vet would have said something.

Young Dawg (Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Ok, so, if you were to ask whether 65 lbs for a 9 month old purebred pyr is on the smaller side of average for the breed, then I would say, yes, 65 lbs would be on the small end for male purebred pyr pups.

The thing is, you don't know for sure whether Remy is a purebred pyr. You were told he's a golden. Therefore, while he may look like a pyr pup as a young puppy, he may not be purebred pyr. If he's part retriever, he could end up smaller than purebred pyrs.

I had a 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie. He maintained a skinny 70 lbs at maturity. My petite framed purebred female pyr was 59 lbs at 9 months and matured out around 77 lbs. She was on the small end for purebred pyrs. Not that it mattered to me - she was perfect in my eyes.

The key isn't about that number on the scale. You have to look at the dog's body condition. If he's emaciated where you can count every single one of his ribs and feel the indent between each rib, then you are not feeding him enough. But if you are able to feel his ribs but not feel that indent between the ribs, he's in fine shape. I would image that if he were severely underweight your vet would have said something.
    Remy is a purebred! Ive had several DNA tests on him since I took him home in september and they all said he was pure pyr

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

I was concerned about Kit being underweight around 9 months but she is a Maremma, which are smaller to begin with. At 9 months she was 65lbs. This is a good question for your vet the next time you go. The best way to see if your dog is underweight is feeling their rib cage. There is usually a diagram at veterinary offices showing how to tell if your dog has obesity. It looks like this.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+...lVP_T8Jr6OEAM:

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by remysmomma View Post
    Remy is a purebred! Ive had several DNA tests on him since I took him home in september and they all said he was pure pyr
    I never was curious enough to want to DNA my rescues. Just never was an important issue for me. When I competed Bro (the dog on the right in my avatar pic) in agility competition, a lot of people thought he was a pyr. He was only half pyr and was registered as a mutt.

If Remy is not emaciated and is in good body condition for his body frame, is eating normally and has good energy, then he is probably just fine.

When we adopted our first pyr at 10 months, she weighed 65 lbs. She was in good body condition and so that number on the scale was never a concern for me. She matured out at 25" tall and just over 80 lbs. Through her life, we were told on a number of occasions she was "too small" to be a pyr. We usually just rolled our eyes at comments like that. Far more people told us she was beautiful, gorgeous, spectacular, magnificent...

Young Dawg (Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I never was curious enough to want to DNA my rescues. Just never was an important issue for me. When I competed Bro (the dog on the right in my avatar pic) in agility competition, a lot of people thought he was a pyr. He was only half pyr and was registered as a mutt.
    The main reason I wanted to do DNA tests is to make sure I knew which health conditions to look out for and be able to train him using methods that work for his breed

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Well, Sebastianís DNA test came back saying that he is 12.5% Chinese Shar Pei, soooooo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF37A7E9-2849-4165-A13E-FEC03CEB483A.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	9579

Maybe itís accurate, maybe not.

Like everyone else has said, if your vet isnít concerned, then you really have nothing to worry about.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian