Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default Suggestions for tick control product to use in conjunction with Advantage Multi?

Latte is on Advantage Multi for heartworm and flea prevention. I really like this product as it is a topical medication, and also prevents parasites. She is a rescue, and this is what was being used on her before we adopted her, so we kept her on it at the vet's recommendation. She was too young to be tested for heartworms when she was rescued and adopted. The vet said he likes Advantage Multi for dogs whose heartworm status is unknown since it is one of the few products that can be used on heartworm-positive dogs, as it can treat circulating microfilariae.

I only recently realized that this product does not kill or prevent ticks. We live in Texas and are approaching tick season, so I want to be proactive. I have been researching for a while, and I cannot find any products intended to kill ticks that do not also have flea prevention, and I do not want to double up on medication. Does anyone know of such a product for ticks only? If you have your dog on Advantage Multi or similar flea/heartworm preventive, do you also use a tick preventive? Do you just spray your yard? Since ticks seem to be prevalent in so many parts of the country, I'm surprised that there are so many products that kill fleas but not ticks.

I always had my previous dogs on Heartgard for heartworms and Frontline for flea and tick control, so perhaps I will switch to that combo once she has her annual vet checkup and we get the all-clear for heartworms. I'm also interested in looking into Revolution, which looks like it controls fleas, ticks, and heartworms. I do not want to use Trifexis or flea and tick collars.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Honestly, I would ask your vet what s/he recommends. I learned the hard way last year that different preventatives work better in different areas. Sebastian had been on Frontline Plus without issue since he was a puppy, and then it just stopped working. I sent a quick email to our vet, and she recommended something that has worked much better.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

lattelove`s Photos

I actually did call the vet to inquire about this today. The assistant told me she would forward my question to the vet and let me know what he suggests (I may hear back from him tomorrow or Monday, as this was late in the day). It sounded like no one had ever asked her that question before! I do know several people around here who use Advantage Multi and are not worried about ticks, although I know for a fact that we have them. Ticks were particularly bad here in 2012, and they kept hitching a ride on our Corgi from the back yard into our house. I believe we had her on Frontline at the time, and although they did make it onto her and into the house, I never found any attached to her. I did, however, drive myself crazy hunting down those awful things in my house!

I am interested to hear back from the vet about what he recommends.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

So much for my original idea...

Please let us know what your vet says!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by lattelove View Post
    I cannot find any products intended to kill ticks that do not also have flea prevention, and I do not want to double up on medication.
    I'v never heard of a product that would take care of only ticks and not fleas. There are products that deal with fleas and not ticks but I've not heard about the other way around. Do share if there is such product around. Where we are we luckily do not have tick issues and so I usually just need flea products. I am currently using Activyl on an as needed basis. I use Heartgard for the heart worms. I prefer to use separate products for heart worms, fleas, and ticks, so that I have more options on the frequency of use for each particular preventive.

lattelove`s Photos

The vet's office called today, and Bravecto is what they are recommending. It kills fleas and ticks, and one dose lasts 3 months. It comes in chews and topical forms. I don't know that I'm comfortable doubling up on flea control medication like that, although the active ingredient in Bravecto is different than the active ingredients in Advantage Multi. I haven't done the math yet to compare the cost difference in using Advantage Multi and Bravecto vs. using K9 Advantix and Heartgard. I have to think about this a little more.

For now, I have sprayed my yard with a chemical-free pest control spray safe for kids and pets, and I am going to add cedar oil and lavender oil (which are said to repel ticks) to baking soda and use as a dry shampoo.

I am still interested in any more ideas or experience you may have!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

I don't have much of a tick problem but I've heard amazing things about Bravecto. A lot of people swear by this when they have a tick problem in their area.