Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Barking changes or vocal changes

Kit had her emergency spay at 14 moths during her heat cycle last month and now is 15 months old. Her behavior is still the same: she gets happy when she sees people and will bark. Her bark has really changed. It is deeper, louder, and a bit scarier. It is freaking other people out. It sounds more like alert barking and if I didn’t know her I would think it sounds aggressive.
    We went to pick up my bird from boarding and she barked at the store owner in her “new” big girl bark and it startled me. The owner is a dog lover and approached her and she did her happy wag and rolled over for a tummy rub. The bark sounds exactly like how my previous dog Sahara sounded when she gets mad that there are intruders. Kit’s intruder bark is even scarier than Sahara’s which is why I’m alarmed her regular bark sounds so scary. People are already a bit afraid of her. Did her vocal cords change after the spay? Or is this just part of becoming an adult LGD? Or maybe I am not good at recognizing different kind of barks? I typically check Kit’s body language but typically she is overexcitable and ready to lunge and give you a hug. This can easily get mistaken for aggression by a stranger. Can any of this be trained out of her? Should I seek professional help? She is not aggressive at all but just sounds scary with an imposing size. Good thing she is often mistaken for an oversized English golden retriever.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome home! The boys and I hope you had a wonderful trip!

It sounds to me like Kitís barking is likely a product of her age. While I donít think you can necessarily train it out of her completely, I think the chances are good that you can work on redirecting her when she gets overexcited, and teach her a more polite greeting style.

If Kit is anything like Sebastian (and I think she probably is), she will likely adopt a more calm greeting style on her own as she matures.

As a precaution, I will add that if you start to suspect that Kit is barking out of frustration during these greetings, I would urge you to bring in a professional. I regret not recognizing and getting help for Sebastianís frustration intolerance sooner.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Sebastianís mom! It is always a delight reading your response. Whenever I think about Sebastian and Chester, I am always smiling. They are Kit and Luckyís role models. It is reassuring to know that things will get better but I should head off any problems by getting a professional. Thank you so much.

Jewel`s Photos

This barking at people thing may be a puppy phase in that she's not yet mastered impulse control. She may eventually grow out of that behavior. But I generally try to correct behavior that would make people uneasy or mistaken by people as negative reactivity. I think it would be prudent to work with a professional to modify that barking at people thing now.