Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Dog bed (cooling)

I have a 3 year old PYR and was wanting to get a really good bed for him...He is an indoor dog,and would also like it to be a cooling bed..Should I get him an orthopedic-cooling bed at his early age???? Just want the best for our Angel!!! Thanks,Lisa

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Lisa,,,and thank you for giving this guy a safe and welcoming home....and his name is???

I find that most of my Pyr's have preferred laying on the tile floor where it's cool...some even like the bathtub!

so, I would think that spending the least amount on a bed right now would be the thing to do....I usually get my dog beds from Costco, they are large, reasonable, easy to clean & then you can see if he likes sleeping on a bed.

some on the forum use a raised mesh bed that keeps them cool....hopefully they will join the thread!

Nancy & Rudy

PS....photos!???!

Young Dawg (Member)

Hi and THANK YOU for answering my post!!!!! I will take your advice...I just now bought a cooling mat for our baby (ANGEL).. It was 69.00 on Chewy.com.. We will use it in the summer in the shade for him..He is a wonderful kind boy!!! We had him for 1 week now and we keep him indoors..He only barked 3 times!!! Took him to vet today and he is underweight,which I knew when we rescued him...Bring him back in 2 weeks to check for parasites.. He is only 71lbs and about 3 years old..I hope he dont have them,I am worried!! Thanks again!!!

lisa....our boy Rudy has weighed in around 73-75 pounds since his maturity...he's going on 6...so my thoughts on weight...thin is better for these big fluffies....less stress on their bones...

however, if you can easily see & feel his ribs, a few pounds might not hurt him

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evening guard.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	9575

hard to actually see through Rudy's fluff....but I can feel his ribs when I run my hands over him, he has a nice "tuck" and when looking down on him, he has a nice "waist"

Young Dawg (Member)

Default Thanks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    lisa....our boy Rudy has weighed in around 73-75 pounds since his maturity...he's going on 6...so my thoughts on weight...thin is better for these big fluffies....less stress on their bones...

however, if you can easily see & feel his ribs, a few pounds might not hurt him

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evening guard.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	9575

hard to actually see through Rudy's fluff....but I can feel his ribs when I run my hands over him, he has a nice "tuck" and when looking down on him, he has a nice "waist"
    Hi and Thank You for encouraging words!!!!! We can easily feel ribs,but I agree that its better for them not to be too heavy..Dr. will test for internal parasites and such in 2 weeks.. Your Rudy is a Beauty!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180407_182041.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	9576  

Jewel`s Photos

Angel certain looks like a sweet angle! Congrats!

We have 3 cooling mats I would recommend going to TJMax or Ross, places like that, to check if they have them. They sell those for a whole lot cheaper than the dog places.

Angel looks like he's not a big framed dog, and thus even though he's 71 lbs, he may not be one of those dogs that will be 100+. My Bijou was 26.5" tall and she weighed in at 77 lbs at maturity. My current adolescent male is about 28" and he's a thinnish muscular 85 lbs.

Lisa....your Angel looks very much like Rudy in size & frame (from what I can see in your photo)

so keeping him on the thin side might be a good thing for him...

will keep our fingers crossed that he comes back with a clear health check up!!

(thanks for your kind words on Rudy...I think he's pretty handsome myself!....but I'm slightly prejudiced!)