Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Sebastianís DNA Test Results Are In!

This past Christmas, my sister gave me a doggie DNA test kit. I decided to use it on Sebastian, since I already had a pretty good idea of what his breed mix was. If the results werenít too far out there, I would then run one on Chester.

I finally got around to sending it off a few weeks ago, and got the results today. Sebastian is:

50% Saint Bernard
    37.5% Great Pyrenees

and

12.5% Chinese Shar Pei?!?!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD0A7B90-DB3C-449F-857A-822548868A04.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	9571

I never would have guessed Shar Pei...

It will be fun to see what they have to say about Chester! Maybe I have TWO Shar Pei mixes!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

WOW, that is interesting. I see NOTHING Shar Pei about him at all. I just love the freckles on his nose and legs! Such a handsome guy
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

the Shar Pei must be that wild side of him!!!

just out of curiosity...what DNA test did you use..?

my hubby wants to test our (not so) mini Aussie...but I am concerned that it would come back with well known herding breeds like Aussie & Border Collie....but we think it's possible he also has another less known herding breed in him...a McNab.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Thank you, Shaggyís Mom!

Nancy, I used the Wisdom Panel 4.0 Test. From what I understand, itís only available through their website. They do have the McNab listed as one of the breeds they Test for, though...
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I would have never imagined that Sebastian had Chinese Shar Pei blood in him!?!?!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I will look into that one...as far as I'm concerned Dasher's breed should be listed as "Sweet"!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

I just got back from Beijing and saw Sebastianís DNA results! Shar Pei was definitely something I would have never guessed!! How awesome! Thank you for sharing your results!

lattelove`s Photos

We also used Wisdom Panel 4.0 to determine Latte's breeds. The rescue agency we adopted her from actually thought she was a Golden Retriever/terrier mix, and the vet thought she was a Golden/Australian Shepherd mix. Some people who met her guessed Irish Wolfhound! We were quite surprised at the results...Great Pyr/Rottweiler mix. I can definitely see the Great Pyr, but not the Rottie. The family who adopted her two litter mates also had their pups tested, with the same results.

SebastiansMom, if you have not yet called the WP customer service for more insight into the results, I highly recommend doing so. I wanted to know where she got her "beard" from. It turns out there is evidence of Wire-haired Dachshund (!!!) and Treeing Walker Coonhound more than 3 generations back. They also told me that her sable color actually comes from the Great Pyr, not from the Rottweiler as I had assumed. They said the GP has two copies of the gene for "white spotting," as opposed to a "white" gene. Latte only has one copy of that white spotting gene, which is why she only has white patches instead of a fully white coat.

It was a lot of fun finding out which breeds are in her mix, and where her traits come from, and it was an interesting science experiment for our kids. You'll have to post your results if you have your other dog tested!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by lattelove View Post
    We were quite surprised at the results...Great Pyr/Rottweiler mix. It turns out there is evidence of Wire-haired Dachshund (!!!) and Treeing Walker Coonhound more than 3 generations back.
    Ok, that would make more sense since the beard could not have come from pyr or rottie!

SM, what you can't tell is that Sebastian actually barks in fluent Chinese from that shar-pei side of him...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Sebastian's Mom I would NEVER EVER have guessed a SHAR-PEI influence GRIN...

Though Jewel's comment on the fluent barking in Chinese just rings true LOLOLOLOL

Then look how this guy is posing... ???? maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	9580

CHEERS!!! how fun I may do this for Zech when he's fully matured... it's too much mun loving his growing up, the puppyhood is going so fast... not wasting time on I wonder...
    rather wander together LOL... GRIN