Thread: Hot Spots

Young Dawg (Member) Sami's Nana's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Sami's Nana`s Photos

Default Hot Spots

Sami had been scratching and biting an area on his back all weekend. I went to brush him to see if that helped and handful of hair came back exposing a horrible sore on his back. Took him to vet who gave him a steroid shot and antibiotic and spray to use at home. Said it did not look like mange but did not give satisfactory answer to what could be causing it. Looks like more areas may be developing.

If you have expertise on this, please advise. We are wondering if we should get him shaved or what.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

did your vet take a scraping of the area?

did the vet say what he thought it was, if not mange?

how are the antibiotic & spray working?

have you thought about a different vet?

Sami's Nana`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    did your vet take a scraping of the area?

did the vet say what he thought it was, if not mange?

how are the antibiotic & spray working?

have you thought about a different vet?
    No, he did not take a scraping. I wondered about that too. He only said it was a hot spot and that it was infected.
    Since Monday, we have found to similar spots and have been trying to spray them as well. The shaved spot is looking better, but we can't see much of the other two. Our dog is very "sensitive" about our moving his fur around these spots, so we are pretty much trying to distract him and spray what we can as quickly as we can. If they do not seem to have improved by tomorrow, I am going to take him back to see if they will shave those spots as .well. (We are not strong enough to hold him. I don't know how they managed it. I feel like we need a cattle chute)
    We have talked about trying one of the two other vets in town, but this one has seen him from puppyhood and I don't know anything about the other two.
    He seems to be feeling much better yesterday, but today is pretty lethargic.
    We are wondering if his fur will grow back to its current "glory" if we have him shaved all over for summer. It is hot and humid here in summer.
    Last edited by Sami's Nana; Yesterday at 06:11 AM. Reason: add info

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

danged humidity....it can cause so many problems

Most Pyr people & groomers advise against shaving....many have said that it hurts the fur rather than helps...

It sounds like your best way to attack this is keep on doing what you are doing....keep asking your vet lots of questions...write them down if you have to...like why didn't he/she take a scraping? It may be that your vet is trying to save you spending too much on needless procedures....ask...

He's probably sensitive in those areas because it bothers him so much, poor guy...

it may just be a summer of inside air conditioning for him!

Sami's Nana`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    danged humidity....it can cause so many problems

Most Pyr people & groomers advise against shaving....many have said that it hurts the fur rather than helps...

It sounds like your best way to attack this is keep on doing what you are doing....keep asking your vet lots of questions...write them down if you have to...like why didn't he/she take a scraping? It may be that your vet is trying to save you spending too much on needless procedures....ask...

He's probably sensitive in those areas because it bothers him so much, poor guy...

it may just be a summer of inside air conditioning for him!
    Thank you for your response and advice!