Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Brown Great Pyrenees?

Hello all,

We looked at a litter of puppies yesterday. At 4 weeks, all of the puppies are all white except one, and the one that wasnít all white was all brown - not just brown spots! Both parents are akc registered purebred. Is this possible? We fell in love with him, but if a gsd or something got into the yard and added to the litter (as in two wires), Iíd like to know from a temperament standpoint. Is it possible for just one puppy to be from a second sire?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

It is absolutely possible for just one puppy to be from a second sire. In this case, Iíd say itís probably the most logical explanation.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

I agree with SM. Also at 4 weeks itís hard to tell if the white pups would turn out looking like pyrs. Having said that, there has been several members who have pyrs that are mostly if not all tan colored that they were told were purebred pyrs. Iíve no training in genetics so I donít know if itís possible for the coloration in pyrs could cover the entire body in some dogs.

A friend adopted one such pyr. Everything about him, temperament, double dews, size, build, is all pyr... except for his color. Heís mostly tan and actually doesnít have a pure white hair on him.
    The white one is my Ren.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62ACD5DC-D746-4A93-BF30-349583DD9406.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	9562

Name:	86BEE082-A71D-4D14-8B11-135F88313397.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	9563

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Hello all,

We looked at a litter of puppies yesterday. At 4 weeks, all of the puppies are all white except one, and the one that wasnít all white was all brown - not just brown spots! Both parents are akc registered purebred. Is this possible? We fell in love with him, but if a gsd or something got into the yard and added to the litter (as in two wires), Iíd like to know from a temperament standpoint. Is it possible for just one puppy to be from a second sire?
    I love pure and mix Pyrs that are brown!

Name:	1D495F58-572E-4F46-9868-031B9214CE89.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	9570

lattelove`s Photos

Hi, Frost! My dog Latte IS a mix...part Great Pyr and part Rottweiler, and she is a reddish-tan (you can see more pics of her that I just uploaded if you look at my profile). I thought you might be interested in what the people from Wisdom Panel said about her color when we had a DNA test done on her. I assumed she got her color from the Rottweiler side since they do have that rusty-tan color on their faces and paws. The WP people told me that her color actually comes from the Great Pyrenees side! They said that some GPs with badger markings will display this tan color. They explained that the Great Pyr does not have the "white hair" gene, but rather the "white spotting" gene. Two copies of this white spotting gene make the dog appear to be mostly white or all white. My dog has only one copy of this white spotting gene, so she only has random white spotting throughout her coat, which allows the tan color to be displayed prominently.

I am very new to this breed, so I am not familiar with all the varieties of markings and colors they can display as a purebred, but I do understand their colors can change a bit as they grow. Genetics are so fascinating!

Road Dawg

Hello,

I have a Pyr mix (Mom is pyr and dad is 3/4 pyr and 1/4 Turkish Kangal) he was also the only Brown puppy in a litter of 8. The other puppies were either all white or white with super light badger marking. His litter was the 3rd litter between the parents (all 3 litters has same parents) and each litter there was ALWAYS 1 brown puppy and that puppy was always male (the gender could be a coincidence). Anyways Iím my case the brown gene is due to a mix breed.

As for temperament. My boy is very much pyr looks (other than colour) and pyr temperament. Heís a selective listener at times But as gentle as they come. He is becoming more territorial and protective letting us know if something out of the ordinary is happening at night. Heís very much a suck and absolutely loves children. Heís only 1 year so heís still trying to figure the world out.

Name:	BDED1630-765F-43F3-8F3A-60BDECB5AFEA.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	9620

This is him.