Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Your friends are offering you good advice...I had been thinking the same thing..
    Rocket is training you....I can just hear his thought process...."hmm, if I turn up my nose at this maybe something else
    better will come along"

stick with one type of food, continue to add the chicken is you want to...but I agree with this advise...give him his food, maybe in a quiet place where he must focus on his food, not eating....after 15 minutes up with the food...try again about an hour later.

my guess is that your Dad has seen alot of this behavior....take advantage of his knowledge & experience

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Your friends are offering you good advice...I had been thinking the same thing..
    Rocket is training you....I can just hear his thought process...."hmm, if I turn up my nose at this maybe something else
    better will come along"

stick with one type of food, continue to add the chicken is you want to...but I agree with this advise...give him his food, maybe in a quiet place where he must focus on his food, not eating....after 15 minutes up with the food...try again about an hour later.

my guess is that your Dad has seen alot of this behavior....take advantage of his knowledge & experience
    Thank you Nicks Spirit!!

He did eat his breakfast this morning (purina one puppy SmartBlend mixed with a little bit of the boiled chicken and itís juice). Apparently my husband and his friend kept him up late last night and he preferred to sleep in before eating lol. I donít think he is a ďmorning dogĒ, I donít blame him! If I didnít have little kids, I would definitely prefer sleeping in to an early breakfast haha!!

So now that heís eating this mixture, should I stick with it? Or should he be on a better quality kibble? Like I said earlier, I have tried SO many.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

stick with this....and as directed by your Dad & friends...is he turns up his nose again....up with the food after 15 minutes...then try again with the same formula....stop trying to find his favorite...make whatever you are feeding him his favorite!

since you say you have children...do you let your kids eat what they want...or do you let them know...what you have fixed is what is being eaten? I know some battles aren't worth the fight...however, you wouldn't let them eat ice cream or cake if they decided they didn't like the food being offered...?

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    stick with this....and as directed by your Dad & friends...is he turns up his nose again....up with the food after 15 minutes...then try again with the same formula....stop trying to find his favorite...make whatever you are feeding him his favorite!

since you say you have children...do you let your kids eat what they want...or do you let them know...what you have fixed is what is being eaten? I know some battles aren't worth the fight...however, you wouldn't let them eat ice cream or cake if they decided they didn't like the food being offered...?
    Haha good point! No, I would tell my kids tough luck if they didnít like what I made

Ok so Purina it is! My husband said his poo this morning was the most formed yet! So I guess this mixture is agreeing with him.

One last question... I noticed Purina ONE SmartBlend puppy also comes in a ďlarge breedĒ variety. Should I be giving that version instead of the regular puppy version heís currently eating?

Jewel`s Photos

I have a different view on food. I don't subscribe to the dogs should only be fed kibbles school of thought. I prefer to offer variety. Even with kibbles, I rotate brands on a regular basis.

I do agree with the advice of allowing a pup only so much time to eat so that it learns to eat more quickly if it doesn't want to go hungry. But I just am not into forcing the dog to eat something it really doesn't like forever and ever when I have the ability to provide other options.

If I were in your shoes, I would change kibbles. The way I look at it, if he doesn't like any of the kibbles, why not give him the highest quality so that whatever amount he eats, he getting quality in place of quantity. Having said that, however, there are some dogs that do better on kibbles with more fillers to help with solid poo. Thus, even with the quality versus quantity in mind, the dog's individual reactions to any particular kibble may be the deciding vote.

With my pup Ren, from 4 months to 10 months he went to daycare every single weekday because of separation anxiety. Ren has never been very consistent with his breakfast and I didn't want to send him to daycare without a full belly . So I would always mix canned, yogurt, cottage cheese, home cooked, whatever that would encourage eating, into his kibbles. The thing though is that I've been feeding home cooked to my dogs for many years now, so I am used to cooking for them. With my last pair, the two in my avatar pic, kibbles made up only about 1/3 of their diet. The other 2/3 was home cooked. My current one, Ren, is mostly kibble fed. But he gets some raw meaty bones and home cooked everyday as well. d

To me it all comes down to what you are willing to do and what works best for your lifestyle and your dog. Dogs do fine on strictly kibbles and they do fine on variety as well.

And, as to whether you should feed large breed formula kibbles, yes, until your pup is well over 6 months old, you want to stick to large breed formula to make sure he doesn't overdose on calcium levels.

Jewel thank you!!

I think itís awesome that you feed your pups a variety of foods! And your advice is super helpful and very much appreciated. After reading your post tonight, I decided to try once more with the science diet large Breed puppy food, since he actually has shown some interest in eating it since we presented it to him around the time we brought him home. I took my moms advice and actually soaked the kibble for a bit in hot water and then mixed with a bit of the Purina One (so as to not freak out his stomach) and also with a small amount of the boiled chicken/juice. He seemed to like it a lot! So Iím going to slowly transition him off the Purina One and onto the large breed science diet. Iíve actually been feeding my 11 year old chihuahua science diet her entire life and it has been a fantastic food for her, so I feel good about the brand. I saw itís rated as a 4 Star food on dogadvisor as well which also makes me feel good. I realize his stools may be a little wonky during this transition, but Iím going to go for it and stick to it. Iíd love to be able to get him to the place where my chihuahua is, where he will eat his dog food and still be able to have treats in addition, and not ignore his food. I do hope we get there!
    I also think he may not be the kind of dog who will want to eat first thing in the morning.. I know pyrs Have a tendency to be more nocturnal, so Iíll take that into account with his feeding schedule.

Thanks again everyone for helping me through this! Iím hopeful all goes well with the transition

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

My puppy is the pickiest eater (of "pet" 'food') in the world. No kidding or exaggerating here. He is actually picky when it comes to certain (doggie appropriate) tablefoods too. We have experimented and tested out lots of brands before finding the best puppy food that works for our puppy