Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 4.5mo Puppy being SUPER picky about food, not wanting to eat..

Hi everyone,

Iím having a hard time feeding a rescue Pyr/lab mix. First of all, he will not eat dry food alone, wet food has to be mixed in. (I think it may be because he is losing teeth now and his mouth could be hurting him?) I thought we were doing well with Purina One/pro plan focus wet mixed, but his poop just seemed really soft and watery (more towards the end..the first part seemed formed).

So yesterday I bought some wellness puppy dry and a can of wet to start to try and transition. At first I thought he seemed interested in just the kibble, but ultimately he wouldnít eat it until I mixed with some of the wellness wet. He did eat this, but he really didnít seem like he was all that excited about it.

This morning, he pooped and my husband said it smelled SO bad, like worse than a skunk spray :/ and I offered him the wellness food and he turned his nose up. So I offered the Purina food that he had been getting and he ate a little, but isnít going for that really either.

I just want him to enjoy his good and it to be a good food for him, and Iím starting to feel really frustrated that he just isnít happy and his stomach isnít happy.

And I know itís a vicious cycle when you keep changing food around, but I just want him to like his food! Help!

Jewel`s Photos

Has the vet confirmed he's cleared of worms? You might also want to have him tested for giardia and coccidia to rule out other possible medical causes of the tummy issues. His lack of appetite may be just him being a picky eater, or it could be because he's not feeling well, so it may be prudent to consider ruling out possible medical causes.

Have you been using pumpkin with his food as Nancy suggested? If not, I would strongly recommend that you give it a try. Sometimes pumpkin can really help turn things around. You could also give him a spoon of yogurt daily if he'll eat it to help him with the good bacteria in his digestive track.

The Wellness Core is a high calorie high protein food. It does not work for every dog. A lot of dogs can't handle the richness of the food. It may not be a good choice with a pup that has been having issues. Also, yes, your changing his food several times within the short time you've had him is probably contributing to his problems.

I do not see anything wrong with adding a little bit of something to encourage eating kibbles. It is usually not recommended to feed only wet food. When Ren was a little pup, he wasn't always very interested in his kibbles. He had this habit that when he walked by his bowl, he would literally eat 7 kibbles at a time and walk off again. I regularly added canned food or ground meat in his kibbles to encourage faster eating.

For now you might want to consider using the Hill's special formula foods from the vet to help stabilizing him. I am not a big fan of the Hill's food, but it can bring about relief to help stabilize a dog in certain situations. They have both dry and wet.

Hi Jewel thanks for responding!!

He is set to get his second deworming pill next week, I have not seen any traces of worms in his poop for a while now. I did not get pumpkin but we did have a fresh baked sweet potato at dinner so I actually gave him that tonight mixed in along with a Merrick canned food (ďpuppy plateĒ). He DEVOURED it. I had tried the pro plan wet/Purina One mix earlier and he ate only a little and then wouldnít touch it.
    I ffeel excited knowing he likes the Merrick wet food, but I wish I could find a kibble he wouldnít mind me mixing it in with...Iíll have to see if Merrick makes a puppy kibble lol. Because I actually did try a little of the Merrick canned with Purina dry and even still he was just not wanting to eat the kibble...

What kibble do you feed Ren? I apologize if you told me already.. thanks again for your help!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

My two eat Merrick, and have done very well on it. However, I will say that the Merrick puppy formulas werenít quite formulated with the large to giant breed puppy in mind. When he is ready to transition to adult food, it might be worth trying.

It is normal for Pyrs and Pyr mixes to be a bit on the picky side - especially during the warmer months. Sebastian went through periods where he would flat-out refuse to eat even wet food, and then he would bug me for cookies all day. I ended up having the same conversations with Sebastian that many people have with their children about having to finish their dinner if they wanted cookies afterwards. I still have to supplement their food with a little bit of FreshPet. They like it enough that I can also use it as training treats.

Totally agree about the pumpkin, and about having his stool tested for worms or other parasites. Sometimes, they can be a bit tricky to treat thoroughly. I know that our vet will just let me drop off a sample and pay for the test without having to go through the whole exam.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Thanks Sebastian’s Mom!

His stool sample showed roundworm only, and he is being treated for that, no other parasites present.

That stinks about Merrick’s puppy line because he is definitely enjoying their wet puppy food right now. Although, I actually think he prefers the weruya I gave him more (the wet food). I only had a few cans of each (Merrick and weruya) and so he got the weruya mixed with the Purina One today and he loved it. He got it again at lunch and loved it some more...dinner he got Merrick (only had the 2 small cans of weruya) and he ate it but I could tell he wasn’t as excited about it as the weruya.

So now that I have found the wet food he likes, I feel like there’s a good chance he would eat any kibble mixed in... its better I switch his kibble now right? He is eating the Purina One puppy food...I know this isn’t a top rated food...but he is eating it...do I switch him to another dry food, or continue to use it and just top off with these higher quality wet foods?

ETA: his poop was not runny today!!!

I've always held it to thought that the Great pyrs are cat-like. My newest pup is exactly the same, as well as his predecessors.
    Good luck OP. Just keep playing hit or miss until you get the hit.

They are a picky breed, and I love them for it

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I've always held it to thought that the Great pyrs are cat-like. My newest pup is exactly the same, as well as his predecessors. Good luck OP. Just keep playing hit or miss until you get the hit. They are a picky breed, and I love them for it
    I guess he is taking after his Dad then with his pickiness!!!! I thought we had a good thing going (Merrick wet mixed with Purina dry), but he is now turnin his nose up yet again to that. At this point, I have offered him: Dry: Pedigree puppy Purina One SmartBlend puppy Wellness core puppy Orijen puppy Science diet large breed puppy Science diet puppy (regular) Wet: Pro plan focus Merrick puppy plate Weruya And when I say offered, some of these I literally just put some kibble in my hand to see if he would go for it. I really want this puppy to just like his food!!!! Sigh sigh sigh Wolfgang, what do you feed your pup?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by RocketsMom View Post
    I thought we had a good thing going (Merrick wet mixed with Purina dry), but he is now turnin his nose up yet again to that. And when I say offered, some of these I literally just put some kibble in my hand to see if he would go for it. I really want this puppy to just like his food!!!!
    None of mine have been truly picky. My first pyr regularly skipped her breakfast which was a cup of kibbles. But she always ate her dinner which was kibbles mixed with home cooked meat.

How much is this puppy eating a day? It may not love the food offered, but pups usually wouldn't starve itself. I've known of some pyrs that simply didn't enjoy eating very much. They ate just enough to sustain themselves. These were dogs that turned their noses up at steak. If your pup is truly like that, it's up to you to decide how far you want to go about food choices.

There was one member that got a pyr pup and had all intentions of feeding it healthy food. The pup wasn't thrilled with the high quality kibble choices offered and one day got a taste of something like Kibbles n' Bits and liked it. The owner eventually just gave up and fed him that not so highly rated kibble because he would eat it willingly.

He loves the Purina 'Beyond' canned wet, and for dry, American Journey Large Breed Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe.

Jewel, I agree with you on the steak. My last pyr would not touch a piece of raw steak. Never saw an animal turn up it's nose at raw meat, hence my comment about being picky.

Jewel: he wasnít eating much at all until I finally, last night, mixed some boiled chicken into his Purina ONE food. He ate that no issue. I donít think my puppy would turn down steak or chicken...but he would happily turn down plain dog food again and again....no matter of it was high quality or lower quality :/

Some of our friends are here and they rescue pups a lot and they recommended we try Fromm puppy only. They, like my dad who is a veterinarian, are saying offer food and then pick it up if he doesnít eat it, and eventually he will eat it and wonít starve himself. My mom is the one who said mix chicken in. And thatís really been the only thing thatís worked.

Our friends are saying to pick a good quality food like the Fromm, offer that and only that, and eventually he will eat it, as to not starve himself. It just pains me because I know the puppy is hungry, but of course spoiled now by having a taste of real chicken. He wonít even eat the weruva puppy food since having real home cooked chicken :/