Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New here with PYR/GSD Pup!

Hi everyone. We brought home a 6 week old mix from the shelter Wednesday. Already 12.5 lbs! He is quite the character and a good baby. Named him Solomon after the wise biblical King Solomon as I figure a dog of this mix will be smart and wise. He has the phenotype of the GSD, but double dews, ears and coat of a Pyr. So, basically a large GSD color with floppy ears, double dews and a little white here and there.

It will be interesting to see which breed characteristics he picked up, and both so opposing, that I joke there will be an internal struggle within him to be biddable and obedient vs independent and willful. Socialization and training on the schedule after vacc., although we already take him out in our arms...no Paws on ground outside of back yard.

We have a GSD, a Staffordshire Terrier and a Pibble and taking intros slowly and cautiously. The GSD pays no mind, but the pits want to play and they play hard, so we separate them for now.

We are transitioning from Pro Plan Lg Breed from shelter to Fromm LB puppy food. Doing well. Also doing pretty well in crate, but he is still very young. Seems almost housebroken, too! No accidents yet and potties quickly outside. Something I have never quite accomplished with the pits no matter what I do.

I'd love to read anything you might have to offer what we should expect. I have read up on the LGD characteristics and importance of training and socialization. Also, does anyone here have this unusual mix? I read they are usually mixed with lab.

Thank you, and I lookin forward to "meeting" you.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly2018 View Post
    He has the phenotype of the GSD, but double dews, ears and coat of a Pyr. I joke there will be an internal struggle within him to be biddable and obedient vs independent and willful.
    Congrats on the new puppy. Pyr/GSD mixes are actually not that unusual. There are several members here that have dogs with that particular mix. At our annual pyr picnic last year there was a pyr/GSD pup that looked just like a GSD but with floppy ears like your pup. The owners said that all 3 pups in the litter had GSD markings.

Definitely extensive socialization and calm and consistent handling. You are not far off about the "internal struggle" as a pyr mixed with a herding breed can produce dogs that can be reactive. That is the experience of the head of our pyr rescue group as well as my own experience with my 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie mix (he's the one on the right in my avatar pic). But of course if the dog takes on more of the LGD side, it could be more laid back.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Congrats on the new puppy. Pyr/GSD mixes are actually not that unusual. There are several members here that have dogs with that particular mix. At our annual pyr picnic last year there was a pyr/GSD pup that looked just like a GSD but with floppy ears like your pup. The owners said that all 3 pups in the litter had GSD markings.

Definitely extensive socialization and calm and consistent handling. You are not far off about the "internal struggle" as a pyr mixed with a herding breed can produce dogs that can be reactive. That is the experience of the head of our pyr rescue group as well as my own experience with my 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie mix (he's the one on the right in my avatar pic). But of course if the dog takes on more of the LGD side, it could be more laid back.
    Thank you for responding! We are excited. I have long been interested in pyrs and they seem to be falling from the sky in Louisiana. Who would have thought so many would be here in the south. So many in shelters and rescues. I am involved in GSD rescue and this one just fell into my lap on a bad day in the rescue world. Was waiting for the right time for a Pyr, so while not a pure Pyr, it's okay. Hopefully, I will come across some of the mixes on here like we have. He is precious, for sure. Thanks for the heads up on reactiveness. More to work on early. The dogs in your avatar are gorgeous!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome Lolly and Solomon!

NOLA ex-pat here. There are things about living there that I miss every day!

It’s great that he has your pits to play with. A good many Pyrs love to play rough. Sebastian is a Saint/Pyr/Anatolian mix, and his “brother”, Chester, is a pit mix. They make a great pair.

Do you have any pictures? We love puppy pictures!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post

It’s great that he has your pits to play with. A good many Pyrs love to play rough. Sebastian is a Saint/Pyr/Anatolian mix, and his “brother”, Chester, is a pit mix. They make a great pair.

I just tried to post a pic, but it sure how. I think it will be a thumbnail lol. Think of puffy GSD but has some look of the Pyr.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54396576794__8350F585-48DF-4B4B-9314-FBFC6C040A81.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	9555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7005.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	9554  

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post

Hi there fellow NOLA! Yes, it is a unique place for sure. And many places to take the dogs. Your dog in your thumbnail is precious! Surprisingly, the pits are handling Solomon well. I allowed more interaction yesterday. They all seem to know he is a baby so just kind of stand there wide-eyed looking at him while he tries to play and nurse. Although he was bottle-fed bc his mother quite producing milk (that is how he ended up at the shelter so young), Mother Nature dictates he try, and he looks for their teats and takes a nibble, which I Stop. They try to play a little with him, but aren't sure how to react. Because he is so little, I monitor closely and do not leave their side when interacting, and only allow one-on-one activity to keep pack excitement at bay for now. He even tries to mount the pocket pibble, she is the most hyper and playful, and closest to his size. I think they will all be great friends once he is big enough to handle them.

He slept through the night in his kennel with no accidents and went right away when I took him out. Hopefully, it stays this way, I am thrilled!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

That little guy is unbelievably cute! Just adorable! Give him a bit of growing time and he'll be giving the Pits a run for their money. Had to watch my new girl pretty closely with the big dogs but she's been playing as hard as anyone for the last month or two. The way they throw each other around, tackle and slam makes my body hurt just watching but they always come back for more!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Hello and welcome neighbor! We live over in Texas just outside Corpus Christi, and yes Hurricane Harvey got us, a direct hit.

Your little guy is down right adorable. Our last golden retriever was only 5 weeks old when her mother died and a couple took her and had for 11 years. Moving to Minn. and didn't think she could handle the harsh winters due to her bad arthritis and we adopted her from them. Had her 20 months before hemangiosarcoma took her. Many years ago, like about 60, my English Setter was poisoned and I was crushed. The Lake Patrol up on Lake Tyler (we lived in East Texas just out of Tyler) had his eye on an English Setter who had puppies. She was hit by car and killed when the pups were only 4 weeks old and Dan got one for me. She was so little I named her Pixie. She lived to be 14...and was a GREAT quail dog. Sounds to me you are doing things just right with that adorable little guy.
    Jerry and Moose

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggys Mom View Post
    Hello and welcome neighbor! We live over in Texas just outside Corpus Christi, and yes Hurricane Harvey got us, a direct hit.

Your little guy is down right adorable. Our last golden retriever was only 5 weeks old when her mother died and a couple took her and had for 11 years. Moving to Minn. and didn't think she could handle the harsh winters due to her bad arthritis and we adopted her from them. Had her 20 months before hemangiosarcoma took her. Many years ago, like about 60, my English Setter was poisoned and I was crushed. The Lake Patrol up on Lake Tyler (we lived in East Texas just out of Tyler) had his eye on an English Setter who had puppies. She was hit by car and killed when the pups were only 4 weeks old and Dan got one for me. She was so little I named her Pixie. She lived to be 14...and was a GREAT quail dog. Sounds to me you are doing things just right with that adorable little guy.
    Hi, neighbor! Thank you for your stories, and for the encouragement. I'm sad y'all took a direct hit, while we haven't, you know Katrina. Understand what you went through. I hope you have recovered well. I had three close relatives lose their homes in the great flood of Baton Rouge a couple of years ago, so I know how long it takes. Sounds like your dogs had nice long lives. Hemangiosarcoma is a cruel disease and takes so many and happens before "parents" are really aware until last minute. Solomon is growing and doing great. Turned 7 weeks Tuesday. He knows his potty routine and when ready to return inside, goes to the door. We carry him out since so little so he won't have an accident running to the door as he did once, so I'd say he's pretty smart already figuring things out!