Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Nocturnal Pyr with Digestion Issues

Hi, Iím new to this forum. My husband and I adopted an adult male Pyr from a rescue a week ago and it has been a challenge. He has the sweetest disposition however he has had stomach upset since we adopted him and he is pretty much nocturnal. We gated off a large family room for him at night so he doesnt get into trouble or eat the catís food and last night when we went to bed he tore the gate off the wall when he decided that he wanted to roam the whole house. We had to put him in our sunroom for the night (which he really seemed to enjoy since he wanted to stay out there all day today). He really seems to want to just roam the yard all night which is a problem since it isnt fenced in yet. He begs to go out constantly after 8pm and we never know if he needs to potty or if he just wants to walk the yard. He is very difficult to get up and moving during the day and really doesnít even want to touch his food until 1:00 in the afternoon but then wants food late at night before bedtime (which isnt a great time to eat since his belly has been upset and we dont want a big mess in the house overnight) So.. a few questions. Do these dogs eventually tune into the rhythm of the family and sleep at night? I dont want him to become destructive at night so the large sunroom will be acting as a kennel until the yard is fenced. Do any of you allow your dogs to go in and out as they please at night through a doggy door into a fenced yard? He doesnt seem like a barker so we are thinking if we can put in a secure fence and a doggy door in the sunroom then he can go in and out to let him patrol at night. Has anyone had luck with Purina ProPlan Sensitive Stomach food? He has been on chicken & rice since we got him because his diarrhea was awful. We just started gradually giving him a 1/4 of the food with chicken & rice and his gas is terrible! He was on Blue Buffalo previously but he had diarrhea every 2 hours when he was eating that so he hasnt had a normal bm in over a week. We are just trying to get him on a normal feeding/bathroom schedule and give him enough exercise to tire him out so he sleeps at night. Oh, and he came to us heartworm positive and is being treated. Any suggestions or help would be great!

Jewel`s Photos

Alas, Blue Buffalo does not agree with many dogs, my own included. I would never go back to it.

If your dog did fine on chicken and rice, what you might want to do is look for kibbles with those ingredients to hopefully match what his body can process "peacefully". I just did a quick Google search and pulled up several brands, including California Natural Limited Ingredient Chicken and Rice.

Your pyr may not have barked within the short time you've had him but that doesn't mean he won't. When we adopted our first pyr at 10 months, she didn't bark for a couple of months. Then she got used to her new home and became more confident, she started barking. But there are some pyrs that are truly not very barky. There is one in our neighborhood that is like that. If your boy is truly not barky, then it may work to give him indoor/outdoor access.

On the other hand, you can train your pyr to sleep instead of roam during the night. To do that you would have to up his exercise during the day and in the evenings. Doggie daycare is a good way to drain energy if your boy is dog friendly. Or taking him to the dog park late afternoon / early evening.

However, does his heart worm treatment require restricted activities? I know in more severe cases restricted activity is important, but I don't know if that's also necessary in milder cases.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    However, does his heart worm treatment require restricted activities? I know in more severe cases restricted activity is important, but I don't know if that's also necessary in milder cases.
    My coworker took in a little (by my standards) dog who went through HW treatment. He was asymptomatic, but tested positive when she had him vetted. She used to bring him in and have him spend the day in my office. He was on restricted activity. The way I understand it is that as the worms die and start to break down, there is a risk that the segments can migrate into the blood vessels and cause a blockage. Keeping the heart rate down minimizes the risk. From what I remember, he was on doxycycline for several weeks, then had to go in twice for the shots. It was especially important to keep him calm after the shots, but that was easy because he felt pretty terrible after those anyways.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Hi, Thank you for your response. He is on limited exercise since he is still finishing his heartworm treatment so we have been bringing him on slow walks around the yard a few times a day and that actually seemed to help last night... he slept through the night! (Itís like I have a newborn in the house... &#128514 he seems to like sleeping in our sunroom & settles right in. Still has diarrhea even after giving chicken & rice, Forti Flora and a small amount of dry kibble. We are seeing the vet on Monday to be sure that he didnt pick up a parasite or something when he was in the kennel before he came to us. New development... heís been great with the resident cat and lets the cat snuff him and he sniffs the cat etc. Tonight when I was preparing his food the cat came into the kitchen and sniffed his tail and he turned around quickly & growled. I donít know if the cat startled him or if he was being aggressive since there was food out. Weíve decided that he should be gated in another room or kitty should be kept out while we are prepping dinner until we can determine if this is a problem. Food aggression or aggression towards kitty would be a major problem. We have been trying to pet kitty and him together, pet kitty in his view etc so that he knows that kitty is part of the family. Any thoughts on this?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Rene & new guy...his name is???
    And thank you for rescuing this boy & trying to give him a secure & loving home to call his own.

Do you know any of his back ground? Where he was found, owner surrender...how old is he...1-2 years?

He may have slept outside most his life...and may be where he feels most secure...maybe he had a flock to guard...or maybe your sun room is nice & cool!

When my dogs had upset tummies I kept them off food for 24 hours...then cooked them up some boiled chicken, gradually adding in rice & a tablespoon of pumpkin...if things weren't better in a week, it was off to the vet we go!

With your boy being on heartworm treatment, I would first ask your vet about holding back food.

When a new puppy came into the house the resident dogs growled at it constantly...growling is not necessarily a bad thing...if it is just that...a growl. It's how a pup learns not to push the buttons of an older resident dog...teaching respect.

But keeping the food out of the equation is a good thing for right now....

I would always give the new arrival at least a month to get used to the new surroundings & human/dog residents

as you already have noticed he seems to be slowly settling into your routine...imagine he's a puppy...train him to be the well mannered boy you can live in harmony with, patience, repetition, patience, humor, patience and lots of love...and more patience!!!

Let us know what your vet says on Monday

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

[QUOTE=Rene7970;100529 I was preparing his food the cat came into the kitchen and sniffed his tail and he turned around quickly & growled. I donít know if the cat startled him or if he was being aggressive since there was food out. Weíve decided that he should be gated in another room or kitty should be kept out while we are prepping dinner until we can determine if this is a problem. [/QUOTE]

I will be honest, food aggression is pretty common in pyrs. But it doesn't mean your boy has it because if the kitty came up behind him and took him by surprise, it could just have been a instinctive reaction. I think you are doing the prudent thing by taking measures to have them separated while you prepare food. For nearly 12 years we've had two pyrs in our household. I always fed the dogs separately just to avoid any issues with resource guarding - I ddin't really want to know if it'd be an issue, I just took steps to avoid the problem.

If it turns out that your boy has some resource guarding issues, perhaps you can feed him in the sunroom away from the kitty. With some dogs, it's just around the food bowls that they have issues with.

Yes, totally agree with having him checked out for possible intestinal parasites. Also talk to your vet about putting him on a round of metronidazole to see if it might help sooth his insides.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much for responding. The new guyís name is Sulley. We saw the vet today and prognosis is not great but not horrible either. She put him on antibiotics in case the diarrhea is from a bacterial infection. Told us that he is close to 10 years old and he is terribly underweight. He has almost no muscle mass and has arthritis in all of his joints. Also, his eyesight isnt great because he is an old guy. She said if she had to guess she would say he was a working dog who put in alot of good years and was dumped when he couldnt do his job any longer. It just makes me so mad! So.. we are tasked with trying to get weight on this guy while trying to treat heartworm and chronic diarrhea. Biggest priority in my opinion is to get his pain meds so he can finally be comfortable. He is eating well so that is the upside to all of this. I think next step will be a stomach xray to be sure he didnt ingest something that isnt passing. I am a petsitter and cared for a lab who had to have his belly opened up 3 times for eating stuff he couldnt pass and his symptoms were similar. He was awake most of the day today so hopefully he will settle in tonight. We are playing some soft music to mask some of the outside noise so hopefully that will help.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much for responding. Kitty is closed out of the room now when food is being prepped or eaten. Otherwise they seem to get along nicely. Vet took a stool sample today and gave us antibiotics. Should have rx for arthritis pain sometime tomorrow. We need this poor guy to be pain free & comfortable. I feel so bad for him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

The music is a good idea but you might need something that will mask more sound. When my working dogs are sick and have to stay with mommy, I have to run an air purifier that makes enough noise to block out the sounds from outside. Otherwise, they feel compelled to be awake and responding, even if they are sick or injured. They just can't let go enough to sleep peacefully. That could be very much the case for your boy if he was a working dog in the his past. Also, make sure the room he is sleeping in is cool enough. Mine are really uncomfortable unless is it is quote cool in the room. That means we have the A/C on and fan running and I get my down comforter out! Great idea to separate the kitty during meals. If he is in pain, as you suspect, he may be more reactive to noises or things near him than he would be normally. My boy with hip dysplasia does things when he is in pain that aren't like his normal self, just like we all do. My Pyr rescue girl was HW positive and had to go through treatment after we got her. She did fine and I think the restricted activity actually helped her acclimate more quickly to her new home. We spent a lot of time together with her just observing and watching. She is a very sensitive girl so I think this helped her feel more comfortable. It makes me happy to think that this boy is getting the love and care he deserves in his old age.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much for the suggestions. My husband is going to try running a white noise machine to see if that helps Sulley sleep more soundly. This poor guy just needs to rest and get better. The vet called to say his stool is negative for parasites so idk why he still has such awful diarrhea. He hasn’t had a solid stool since be came home. I fear that he ate something he can’t pass while he was on his own and I think we will see if we can get him a belly x ray if it keeps up any longer. We are currently getting estimates on having a large section of the yard right off the sunroom fenced in for him so he can stay outside as long as he likes when we are home to keep an eye on him. Any thoughts on height of fence, type of fence etc from any of you would be great. We are thinking 5 foot high black coated chain link with a bottom support bar for stability. I dont think this old man’s weak legs will take him up and over. We are also looking for a good ramp so he doesnt have to struggle with the steps going in and out. We want to make his remaining years good ones.