Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Anyone else here with a Pyr mixed breed?

Hi!

New as a member but have been lurking for the last week since adopting a 4 month old pyr/lab mix (thatís what the shelter told us he is).

Just wondering if anyone else here also has a Pyr mix and what your experiences have been, especially in terms of feeding... seems like labs and pyrs are different in terms of how they grow, and thus likely different on how they eat?

Just want to make sure I am doing the best by this pup...we are already having issues with some soft stools, but also recovering from some roundworm and the stress of coming from a shelter into a house with 3 little kids (he is doing AMAZING temperament wise though!!! Adores the kids so much and hasnít shown any signs of aggression or annoyance!!).

Mainly, I just need to get his tummy on track... and Iím just not sure what to do being that he is a mix.

He weighed about 30 pounds at his vet visit, she said she felt confident he was around 16 weeks...from my brief reading, that seems small for a Pyr, but he is a mix so...

Again, the shelter said the woman who dropped him and his siblings off felt very confident it was the ďneighborhood greAt PyrĒ who impregnated her dog.

Any advice/insight/personal experiences would be so helpful!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Also, I will add that he came with a sample of pedigree puppy chow which he picked at and barely wanted. So then the vet suggested science diet large breed which he ate a small amount of then decided he didnít want that either...then he was diagnosed with roundworms and my mom got him some cheap wet puppy food to ďexperimentĒ to see if thatís what he really wanted...he hobbled it up. Obviously thatís not a healthy choice, (and he also got diarrhea)so we tried some Purina One dry puppy chow and mixed with some pro plan puppy focus wet. He has been eating that, but his stool is still a bit runny...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome RocketsMom & family...and thank you for giving this boy a loving forever home.

You could try just giving him a bit of pumpkin...real pumpkin...not pie filling...for his size maybe just a teaspoon & a half in his kibble.
    But you could also wait awhile until the stress of all he's been going through settles down..it may take a month..maybe less.

Pyr's are considered "large breed" dogs...not sure about Lab's...however getting a kibble for large breed puppies would be good for him....you really don't want a chunky monkey puppy...the less stress on his bone structure is best. And it's hard to tell which breed he will most likely take after!

Don't be concerned about how much he weighs...rather how healthy he is....can you feel his ribs when you run your hands lightly over him....does he have a nice "waist"....

Also...how quickly are you changing him over from food to food? That will upset his tummy as well....slowly introduce any new food...stick to one brand..some of them have different "flavors"...such as salmon, turkey etc.

Keep us informed on how you progress together!

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

Runny stool is pretty common with pups. Particularly as he's just been rehomed, fed different foods, and came down with worms.

Digestive issues in most cases have nothing to do with the dog's breed. Each dog is an individual and food that works for one dog may not work at all for another. I know someone who has 3 aussies and she feeds each dog a different kibble. She just couldn't find one kibble that works for all 3. On the other hand, I fed my pyr mix (the one on the right of my avatar pic) exactly the same way I fed my purebred pyrs. The only difference was portion. Bro was 1/2 pyr, 1/2 retriever/aussie.

Same goes with appetite, it varies with individuals. Some pyrs are real chow hounds while others are very picky. My current pup Ren falls somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. He goes thru spurts of being hungry all.the.time. to taking hours to finish his breakfast. I am not usually too concerned so long as his energy level is good and he's growing steadily.

I would suggest you use large breed formula kibbles for your pup. Pyr and lab are both large breeds. You want to feed the puppy enough so that he's neither fat nor skinny. Like Nancy said, the ideal body condition is you want to feel his ribs under a thin layer of flesh when you run your hands along his sides. You don't want to have to press down to feel ribs, nor do you want to be able to count each rib without pressing down at all.

Nancy and Jewel, thank you for your replies and suggestions!!

Nancy, I will look into the pumpkin! I actually read about that, good to know it works!!

Jewel, your pups are so pretty! How big did your mix end up being?!

Thank you for the tips on how to tell if heís not getting too chubby. I can definitely still feel his ribs, easily. Also, we tried the science diet large breed puppy food and doesnít like it. The kibble itself is so large!! He ate some of it initially, but he is liking the Purina One dry mixed with a half of a can of the Purina focus puppy wet right now. If the loose stools continue, I will have to transition him to something else.

I also keep hearing about grain free diets...is this something that would be better for him now or at some point in his life? Can you all recommend any specific large breed puppy foods that you have experience with?

Thank you again for replying and for the warm welcome!!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian had a sensitive tummy as a puppy. I tried a number of foods with him, and found that he did really well on Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed puppy formula. He tolerated it well, and I really liked that the nutrient levels were formulated to promote slow growth, which is essential in these guys for bone and joint health.

As for grain-free food, it really depends on the dog. If the dog has sensitivities or allergies to grains, then grain-free is definitely the way to go. Some people whose dogs compete in performance sports put their dogs on grain-free food because the protein content in those formulas tends to be higher. My two are currently on grain-free food because my favorite pet store only sold the grain-free formulas of the brand I wanted to try them on. I was too lazy to drive down the street to the other pet store to get them the non-grain-free formula from that particular brand. They are both doing well on it, so I have kept them on it.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Thank you, SebastiansMom! Your boy is so handsome!

Jewel`s Photos

Here is a thread with some information on raising giant breed pups:

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...uppy-Nutrition

I had recommended large breed puppy food because they are (or should be) formulated with the right calcium/phosphorus content for giant breeds. But there are adult or all life stage kibbles that have acceptable calcium/phosphorus ratio suitable to feed to puppies.

My pup's breeder does not feed puppy food. All her pups are fed adult kibbles. Ren was fed the Kirkland Signature kibbles at the breeder's. The Signature line has grains. Kirkland also has the Nature's Domain line which I believe is grain free. That line also has acceptable calcium content for large breed pups. The Kirkland foods are economically priced and has very decent ratings and reviews.

I switch kibble brands a lot - just something I prefer to do. The bands I use in my rotation include Acana, Orijen, Wellness, all of which have large breed puppy formulas. I've also fed Castor Pollux, American Journey, and Horizon Legacy adult formula which have the calcium content that is ok for pups. Merrick is a food that I will put in my rotation now as Ren is 18 months old. But Merrick's calcium content is on the high side, too high for my liking, for a large breed puppy of less than 6 months of age. All of these are pretty good food.

A popular site that people consult for dog food rating is www.dogfoodadvisor.com.

Jewel, thank you for this helpful info!

Looks like Iím going to have to do something about his diet ASAP because his stools are loose again we were doing well and now itís turnng again. Plus heís just not acting as excited as he was about his food.

Is it better to just feed dry food? I know my dad the veterinarian said it is, but I have heard mixed things. Right now I have been mixing dry with wet because he definitely doesnít seem interested when it is just plain dry.

Should the goal be to find a dry food that he will eat without having to add any kind of wet food? Or is using the wet food ok? I went to a local pet store and was given a bunch of samples, I havenít opened anything yet because he was liking the Purina One/pro plan mixtureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	55B19386-5893-4956-9569-2BA401D509B4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	9549

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

RocketsMom...if he was liking the mixture & doing well on it...I would stick with that for awhile
    all the changes in his life, including his food, might just be the cause of this

As Jewel said earlier....their tummies are so sensitive from all the change in their lives, it does take awhile for them to settle down.

I would just watch how much he eats so that his weight gain keeps up with his growth....in other words...no chunky monkey rolly polly puppy!!

He looks like a handsome guy....!!