Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default How do you keep your dog clean in between baths?

I understand that we are only supposed to bathe our dogs about once per month. I don't know if I ever strictly followed that rule with any of my previous dogs, but I do want to do what is best for her coat and skin. However, our backyard has a few very shady areas where grass will not grow (hence, lots of dirt), and Latte just loves to lie in the dirt, especially as the weather gets warmer and she digs holes to lie in and cool herself off. We are also about to enter the rainy season, so those areas with no grass will become sloshy mud pits (and lots of fun for her, I am sure!).

So how do you keep your Great Pyr clean in between baths? Is brushing sufficient? I keep a package of baby wipes near the back yard to wipe muddy paws and nose before she comes inside. I also occasionally use a dry shampoo I made with cornstarch and lavender essential oil for when she needs "freshening up." Would this also dry out her coat too much like frequent shampooing? Any other tips? I just don't know that I'll feel she's really clean without frequent baths!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Lol, baths. Bath is a four-letter-word at our house unless I am going to soak myself in the tub to get away from my two for a few minutes. Their last bath was in August because our house-sitter and his girlfriend were feeling adventurous.

When I first bought our house, the back yard had a thick, lush carpet of asiatic jasmine. Sebastian and Chester quickly got to work, and killed it ASAP. Until I finally get around to laying sod, our yard is a dirt farm - soon to be mud farm. Did I mention that thanks to this houseís previous owner, I also have light grey wall-to-wall carpet? Lucky me. Earlier this week, one of my roombas got so fed up with me that it threw itself down the stairs. I wish I were making that up.
    Truthfully, my dogs arenít really all that stinky that I can tell. When they do track dirt inside, itís far easier and less traumatic for everyone if I clean the dirt off of the floor than off of them. The lone exception to that is when someone steps in poop. Then, they are getting a foot bath whether they like it or not. Spoiler alert: they donít. Neither do I, for that matter.

Honestly, if youíre bathing her once a month, she shouldnít be getting stinky. If she is, I would mention that to your vet.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Road Dawg

Hello,

I feel your pain. I have a couple crab apple/apple trees that are so thick that absolutely no grass grows underneath and they are constantly moist. My male pyr LOVES to lay under them of course! If he isnít under them then heís laying under the deck in the gravel/dirt mixture.

Honestly for the most part I wait for his coat to dry enough( if itís wet and heís muddy) and I give him a quick brush down with the paddle brush or slicker depending which area Iím brushing. The only time I find he smells is after a play date with his Rottweiler buddy and heís been covered in drool. I have a doggy cologne I use in that instance (sparingly) which has coconut oil in it for moisture and conditioning purposes. I believe it doubles as a de-tangler. I find my pyrís coat to be pretty dirt/water repellant so I find a brushing is all I need.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    When I first bought our house, the back yard had a thick, lush carpet of asiatic jasmine. Sebastian and Chester quickly got to work, and killed it ASAP. ..... Earlier this week, one of my roombas got so fed up with me that it threw itself down the stairs. I wish I were making that up.
    LOL SM your posts are the best! I can so relate. I wish I had a green thumb but the one time I tried growing herbs in my balcony, it commited suicide. Two days after arriving at my home, the basil commited suicide quickly. It saw all the dead and dried up plant carcuses. It also saw that my previous Maremma would take chuncks out of its commrads. Life was not worth living for Mr. Basil lol.

Kit hates grass and stays very clean. I am very fortunate for her. Lucky, on the other hand, is a nightmare. He is a WHITE Goldendoodle who enjoy rolling in dirt. Since he does not shed, the mud doesn't not fall off miraculously like a pyr. I think he must have been a chinchilla in his past life. He also loves to dig! It does not take long for him to dig a Lucky size hole. Unfortunately, it takes 2 hours to bathe, dry, and groom him. Dirt causes his leg hair to mat and I would have to shave it off! If I let him do what he wants, he would never be clean, and leave holes eveywhere! To resolve this, I walk him everytime he needs to go out. He is not allowed to roam.