Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

We are very lucky that Max gives us so much to be proud of, helps us to survive those difficult puppy moments!

On a leash with treats in hand, Max is amazingly responsive and shows just how smart he is by quickly grasping new concepts and easily remembering previous lessons.

At all times, Max is the sweetest dude. He is happy to lie on any restaurant's porch while we eat a meal and just smiles and wags his tail and leans in when anyone comes over to love on him. He is ready to go anywhere, or to just lie in the floor by our feet at home. He is always happy to get attention from his people. And he is so low-key, fireworks and vacuum cleaners and sudden movements and strange dogs and loud kids and hissing cats have no impact on his demeanor.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

This is such a wonderful thread!! I was grinning reading through all these wonderful stories...the photo of Ren greeting the cat was SO precious!

I recently took Fin on his very first vacation to the mountains. I had no idea if he would like it...on the one hand, he loves car rides and walks in new places, but on the other hand, he loves routines and his backyard!! But he had a BLAST and was such a good boy! We had such an amazing time. I took him on tons of hikes to waterfalls (which he loved!) and he got to enjoy a screened-in porch for the first time (now I must move to a house with screened-in porch...). He would trot out there every morning and lay there watching all the wildlife out in the mountains surrounding us with the goofiest smile. The cabin we were staying in didn't have a fence, so I had to take him out on leash to potty, and besides both of us getting tons of ticks, even that went very well; he didn't try to take off running after wildlife and did his business. I had his kennel there and he went right in there when I went off to do other activities he couldn't tag along for He didn't have any accidents inside, didn't scratch anything, didn't chew on anything-- nothing (he never does any of that at home of course but I wasn't sure how he would act staying somewhere that wasn't home!). He slept on his dog bed in the car when we would drive to different parks to hike and on the way there and back home. He was not a fan of swimming in rivers, though lol. He likes swimming in lakes from time to time, but he said HECK NO to the cold mountain river!!

It might not seem like a huge deal but this was a really big deal for me and Fin. Fin has a lot of behavior problems that I manage on a daily basis that can make life difficult and stressful sometimes...luckily I can provide the type of controlled environment Fin needs to live safely and happily, but he still has slip-ups from time to time, and I have to be very careful taking him anywhere to make sure he isn't put in uncomfortable situations. I feel like I do a lot of juggling and management everyday to keep Fin happy and safe so it was indescribably wonderful to get a vacation where we could just relax and have fun. It was wonderful to see him so happy and to get to share a trip with him! I have only been on vacation once briefly since I got him-- and the entire 3-day trip all I could do was worry about how he was at the vet, if he was behaving with the kennel workers, if he was eating, etc-- so this was really my first real vacation in years. I was able to really appreciate all the little 'good behaviors' my difficult boy has (walking nicely on leash, not lunging or barking at people/dogs we walk past, not counter-surfing, not destructive, riding nicely in the car, sleeping through the night, going into his kennel, taking food nicely, etc) that sometimes get ignored when I'm focused on a target 'bad behavior' we're working on. Here's some pics of him on our trip! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	9763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	9764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	9765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	9766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	9767

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Fin looks like he had a fabulous time!!!

so glad you were all able to share this time together....good work team Rachel & Fin!

Jewel`s Photos

So happy for you and Fin on how far you've brought him along! So proud of both of you!!! Fin looked really really happy!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I love the pictures of Fin, Rachel.

Today I came across this video and I thought I had to share it..

A great pyr being a great pyr! Hahaha!

https://twitter.com/dodo/status/1018589015241515008