Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Yay Jewel that's awesome news!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Go team Ren!!!

Jewel, since you have so much experience to guide him, I'll bet he's gonna be one of the best!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Ooooooh! Ru and Rona want to come!!! Rona is desperately trying to find a way to get up and walk on the big wall that Ru like to walk on. Still lacks a bit of coordination.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	9533

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I love all of these stories! Jewel, I am so excited to see Ren follow in Bro and Bijouís footsteps! Mikel, if Pippa is anything like Sebastian, she will just seem to magically snap out of her bad habits one day. Of course, she wonít snap out of them all at once, but...

The other day, Sebastian told me that he wanted to go outside. I opened the door to let him out, and sure enough, as soon as the door was open and he was taking off toward the fence, I saw the silhouette of a dog walking on the other side of the wood slats. Sebastian started trying to break the gate to get to the other dog, when I asked him if he would rather have a piece of chicken instead. He actually came running inside to get the piece of chicken! That was a pretty proud moment at our house!

Sebastian is also pretty grossed out by Chesterís nasty poop-eating habit, and has developed a special bark to alert me to the fact that Chester is turd burgling again. Thatís also pretty pride-inducing!

As for Chester, he has been making leaps and bounds of progress with his anxiety, especially his SA. He now chooses to hang out by himself in the front bedroom from time to time, when Sebastian and I are in my bedroom watching tv. Chester is also okay with me leaving at odd times of the day, as well as leaving more than once. Words canít describe how proud of him I am for learning to conquer his fears!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

These are the best stories!! Zech isn't even 10 months so I have a long way to go but he makes me proud everyday...

Sebastion's Mom & Snow the Pizza thing is too funny... I have let Zech become a fabulous beggar.. He's big enough now he'll come up next to me eating, sit real close and lay his head on the table nose almost touching my plate.... He hasn't stolen anything yet but... I had to stop that head on the table thing and teach him not to...
    Now he comes up the same way and instead of the table lays his head on my right forearm, usually holding a fork or spoon.. and then come the eyes... I am having a hard time telling him no on that one... I love the head on my arm thing...

Jewel How exciting for Ren! I know you guys are going to be a great team..

I am thinking Zech would do good in agility.. do they have dog barrel racing?

https://youtu.be/gu8e8nIIv6E

OK here is Zech begging today for some of my lunch...

Name:	IMG_7557.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	9534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7541.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	9535

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

SB's mom's post reminded me of Kit's fine moments lately. It has been a whole week that she has not eatten poo! I am typing this as I eat my lunch. Kit has taught me a new level of tolerance that I had not known before. I can't ever be mad at Kit. She is a pain as a teenager but I am under her spell. I've fallen victim to her charms since she was a puppy and it is an impossible spell to break. She is irresistable and I am weak.

Road Dawg

Lacey, my 3 year old makes me proud when she is so respectful of any dog she meets. From 10 week old puppies to larger dogs, she is so gentle. Delicately sniffing and allowing the dog to check her. I am also proud of how she listens - as best as a Pyr can - just the usual explaining and reasoning of why I'm asking her to do something.

She has also made some progress in her fear of people. It has taken 2 years of weekly walks with her confident Lab friend, but now she does not pull, spin, and try to get away is someone is coming near during the walks. They still can't pet her, but at least the overt panic is not there. Also, real estate signs, trailers, and electrical junction boxes are less of a threat. She is even now sniffing the ground and bushes, showing she is enjoying her environment a bit more. The Lab has even had to wait for her a few time because we fell behind as she was sniffing so much. She'll never be a social dog, but I'll take anything I can get. The hug and smile from her when I get home from work makes everything ok.

We still need to work on her not being scared if someone comes on the property or in the house. All I truly don't like is her prey drive and her preference for freshly caught snacks (bunnies, mice, etc.).

Name:	Lacey 3rd Birthday.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	9541

Zech is too cute!

Hooray for team Christine and Lacey! Learning to overcome anxiety is no easy task in is definitely pride-worthy! Keep up the good work!

Snow, your post sounds so much like where I was when Sebastian was Kitís age. He definitely taught me that I had to pick my battles!

We had another proud moment today!
    For those of you who have joined the forum within the last two years, it has been nearly that long since I have been brave enough to take Sebastian and Chester on a walk. It has been almost two years since we moved into our current home, which I bought because we were living in an apartment in a complex where a lot of people let their dogs out off-lead. This was a big problem for us, as both Sebastian and Chester are hit-or-miss with other dogs. We had one incident with an off-lead friendly dog that traumatized Chester in ways from which he still has not fully recovered.

Today, we went for a walk. All three of us. Also, all three of us made it back home in one piece. They were overly excited, so their leash manners were atrocious, but they didnít embarrass me or themselves. Not a single bad word was said.

I think Chester may be in a place where I can try separating them, so that will be a project for this weekend. If I can separate them, we can start to work on their leash manners and reactivity to other dogs. That has only been how many years in the making? (I think the answer is three).

For most people, this would be a giant heap of nothing, but for us, it is a milestone. I am very proud of both of them!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I am proud of Pippa because, lately, she has been getting better at:

- Not barking excessively at night. She still barks, but she calms down rapidly, which is a huge relief. All those nights of getting out of bed to show her that there are no intruders outside the house, are paying off. Last night she started to bark at around 4am or something like that and instead of getting out of bed I called her name, and she came upstairs quickly, jumped on the bed and calmed down (after I rubbed her belly for a few minutes). She didn't bark for the rest of the night. This is amazing, and I hope it stays this way, because in the past she would start barking in the middle of the night and it was LOUD and non-stop barking. I think she's becoming "fine" with the drill of "waking me up and alerting me that there might be some danger", but once I call her and tell her everything is okay, she seems fine. Another good reason could be that she is getting more used to the sounds in the neighborhood and that explains why she is less vocal. Who knows. But I want to think that the "trust my words" training has helped a lot.

- Not destroying socks or shoes. This has been a huge improvement. I am so happy that I can leave my shoes anywhere and she is not ruining them. Thank god.

- When we go inside the house after a walk I always like to clean her paws with a wet towel because her paws always get dirty - snow, mud, dirt, grass... you name it. She used to run inside the house and make a mess. Now I say wait when we are in the entryway and she waits for me until I clean her legs and paws.

Things that don't make me proud:

1) When she jumps on people at the dog park. This is not an big issue because the people who bring their dogs to the neighborhood park already know the dog and me, but it has been hard to teach her not to jump on people or give kisses. If she did this to my mom, she would knock her down.

2) She still doesn't let me grind her nails. Oh well...