Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Can't tell you how I happy I am for you three. It is only by your determination and unwavering belief in your boys that you three are able to progress so far. It is one thing to have to deal with issues with one dog. You are having to deal with different reactivity issues with each of your boys who combined outweigh you by A LOT. WAY TO GO!!!!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Sebastian's Mom That is SO COOL.... I think your boys have been Blessed beyond...

Happy Mother's day you're a 2 footed 4 footed mom. all 3 of you earned it!

Your yard looks so lush too... Denver isn't lush... not bad but no lush LOLOL

P.S... Mikelg84 Pippa stealing the bread is priceless.... Her reaction? how can you get mad at that...
    It's so hard to scold when you are laughing inside... Love these Pups!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

This thread is encouraging which is exactly what I need.

Kit has been a great dog on the gentle leader. No more jumping or barking at dogs and people.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I'm not sure if it's the fact that lately we have been working very hard on obedience and trust or if it's the fact that Pippa is almost 1.5 years old, but man, WHAT A HUGE IMPROVEMENT compared to last Spring.

Although Pippa still thinks on her own when she's outdoors and makes her own decisions - not that I would like her to change that nor I think I could or should - she has been so good at listening me lately. When we are in the woods these days, she is so much better at staying on the path. I let her off the leash in the woods with the conviction that she will not run away. In fact, it's like she wants to make sure that I'm behind her and she's always looking if I'm still there or not. 6 months ago she would not "listen" to any of my commands. She would listen and understand it, but she would chose not to do it. Saying the words: wait, come... was the most frustrating thing in the world. I really thought I would never be able to let her run around in the woods without fearing the worst.

I am not a big fan of letting dogs off the leash because you never know what you can encounter (dogs, bigger animals, people afraid of big dogs...) so I am always very careful when I let Pippa off the leash. I must say that the times when she has had real freedom, she has surpassed my expectations. Yesterday she walked by me like a lady, got distracted a few times, but always came to me. I am so proud of her. I think she is a very happy dog and she loves me so much that she doesn't want to make me upset. And she knows that if she listens then I am happy and a happy Mikel means gourmet treats

We are also in the transition to adult food and so far it has been great. She is eating around 50% puppy 50% adult and so far so good! No diarrhea or other issues that I can think of. Such a relief. I was very worried. Except for dairy products Pippa has not shown any allergies yet.

I forgot to mention that the reason why I am very proud of her is because when she was a puppy she escaped and ran away twice. For a while I had to have her on a leash inside my house because as soon as she heard a door opening, she would run out and finding her was tough. I am not saying that I leave the door open on purpose now, but she has had opportunities to run out again (for example when I am entering the garage) and she hasn't done it.

Call it training. Call it growing up. I don't know what it is, but I am loving it.

Pippa has transformed my life and I don't know what I would do without her. I love this breed and I can see myself having another GP mix in the near future.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Kit has been a great dog on the gentle leader. No more jumping or barking at dogs and people.
    Yay!!! That's great news!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    And she knows that if she listens then I am happy and a happy Mikel means gourmet treats
    Sounds like Pippa's got Mikel well trained...

Jewel`s Photos

Well, ok, for many of you, your pyr greeting a cat is no big deal...
    But for Ren this was a BIG moment. He's been wanting to meet this cat for at least a year. But he's always been too rambunctious for the cat so it would run away.

Ren is about 20 months now and getting better at acting civilized... I was proud for him!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8332.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	9627

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I can guarantee that neither of my two would have such composure in the presence of a cat!

Happy belated Mothers Day to everyone! I am so thankful that we all have so much to celebrate!

Tonight, on our walk, Chester met a sweet little boy (Iím guessing around 3 years old) named Leo. The last time Chester had met such a young child was when we first moved to the neighborhood, and Chester was visibly uncomfortable. I watched Chester carefully around Leo, and he was relaxed and happy the whole time. There were lots of happy words and treats involved. Leoís older brother then came outside on his bike, and again, both dogs did really really well. They were really nice kids.

Both dogs also maintained their composure around a pair of ducks, as well as when there was a doodle off in the distance.

About a week ago, we passed a black lab across the street, and there was some growling and lunging from my two. It lasted just a few seconds and both dogs recovered quickly.

Two years ago, a lot of this would have seemed impossible.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

YAY!!! THIS IS GREAT!!!

I am so glad that walking Chester and Sebastian is no longer an issue

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    I can guarantee that neither of my two would have such composure in the presence of a cat!

Happy belated Mothers Day to everyone! I am so thankful that we all have so much to celebrate!

Tonight, on our walk, Chester met a sweet little boy (Iím guessing around 3 years old) named Leo. The last time Chester had met such a young child was when we first moved to the neighborhood, and Chester was visibly uncomfortable. I watched Chester carefully around Leo, and he was relaxed and happy the whole time. There were lots of happy words and treats involved. Leoís older brother then came outside on his bike, and again, both dogs did really really well. They were really nice kids.

Both dogs also maintained their composure around a pair of ducks, as well as when there was a doodle off in the distance.

About a week ago, we passed a black lab across the street, and there was some growling and lunging from my two. It lasted just a few seconds and both dogs recovered quickly.

Two years ago, a lot of this would have seemed impossible.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Mikel, thank you so much!

Our VB has a training studio connected to her practice that offers a small group class dedicated to resocializing reactive dogs. At our next appointment, I am planning to ask her if she thinks Chester might be a good candidate for that class. I feel like his anxiety could be feeding into Sebastianís reactivity, so while Iíd eventually like to work with both of them on the reactivity, I think Chester is a good place to start. I could be wrong...

Either way, I am thankful that their behavior is continuing to improve. We encountered several dogs from a distance today, and not a flinch from either boy.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian