Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default What Makes You Proud?

Letís face it: the behavior section of this forum can be a scary place. There are definitely some threads here that have kept me up at night. After all, people donít really ask questions when their dog is behaving well...

I thought it might be fun to tell stories about the times our dogs made us really proud of them. It could be something major, like passing the CGC, or something seemingly minor like choosing to be cooperative at a time you really werenít expecting them to.

Saturday, I was sitting at the table eating leftover pizza. The boys love when I eat pizza because they know that they are definitely going to get the crust. Halfway through my first slice, something got my attention and lured me away from the table for a moment. I came back to the table to find two dogs lying on the floor, and a plate full of pizza on the table. They could easily have taken the opportunity to steal my food, and they chose not to. Iím pretty proud of them.

Okay, now I want to hear your stories!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Lily has a lot of fears, one of which is being lifted and bodily moved. Since her partial CCL tear, I load her into the golf cart when we are going on extended runs so she doesn't overdo it. She climbs in carefully but there is no way to get her out without possibly stressing her leg so she has to be lifted out. Her anxiety about being lifted has been pretty severe and results in a dog that looks like it is about to be beaten. A very sad sight indeed. We've been working on this daily because being left home on the long walks would be almost unbearable for her her. This morning, I stood with her for a few extra minutes, told her I understood how she felt and that I would never drop her. She pushed her head into my neck and rested her chin on my shoulder and allowed me to lift her down as if she'd never had a problem with it in her life. This is an issue we've been working on for 9 months and I am so proud of her for being so brave today!!!

Yesterday I had to stop at Home Depot on the way home from the vet's office with Rona. It was supposed to be a quick stop to order paint but they needed to match it and needed me to approve the final color. Since I was in the truck, Rona was not crated. It was taking FOREVER in the paint department and I began to have desperate images of chewed steering wheels and other images of Rona-induced destruction. Finally became so overwhelming that I went out and brought her into the store. Rona has never been in a store in her life and is not a city dog. She knows the monastery and the vet's office. She behaved as if she went shopping every day! No lunging at merchandise or shoppers, sitting nicely to be petted by the hoards of enthusiastic shoppers that wanted to meet her and patiently waiting with me at the paint counter for what seemed like an eternity. Can't say how proud I was of my baby! Could have been an unbelievable nightmare, as you well know!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I love both of those stories so much! Such good girls you have!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Love the stories! Keep the coming!

I hope one day I can bump this thread and tell you guys that Pippa has let me clip her nails or that she hasn't dug any holes in the yard lol

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Haha I can relate to the pizza crust thing. I have yet managed for them to not steal if it was just laying in the open. Lol. Kit adores pizza and she has a way staring into your soul. I tend to be a big softy and give the pizza to her. Now she she cuddles up to me every time I eat. I’ve just taught her to beg effectively. I saw an article in National Geographic’s that the begging face is something they are taught as a reaction to humans. It is not a natural face they make in the wild. I thought how interesting.

Something I am proud of? Kit enjoys humping Lucky and she hasn’t been able to do it because of her recent surgery. Now she recovered, she is back to her favorite past time. I guess it is a play dominance thing and she usually does not stop unless I pull her off. Yep it is weird because she is a girl and he is a boy but she bumps him rather than vice versa. She looked like she was having a lot of fun and I looked at her and told her “no”. No yelling or getting mad and she jumped off. Hooray.

Jewel`s Photos

Hmmmm, came home to yet another pair of ripped up pajama bottoms today... For some reason I am having a hard time thinking of those proud moments

After suffering through Bijou and Bro's passing within 15 months of one another, I thought we were going to go without a 4-legged child for a while because I felt I just didn't have the energy to start over with a puppy again. But as it turned out, life wasn't that great without a 4-legged child around either. So 4 months after saying goodbye to Bro, Ren came into our lives. I selfishly decided that Ren would be an only child so that we can take him everywhere with us. With that objective in mind, Ren went on his very first dinner out with us right at 3 months old. I am proud that Ren has become and very good restaurant patio dog.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Let's see Missy has been trying my patience here lately cause she is 9 years old now and decided she was craving girl scout cookies so she took the box down and shared them with the terrors....I guess I could be proud that she shared and was smart enough to leave my lemonades alone and only eat the short bread cookies.

I don't know I am clearly proud of her CGC certificate as I am hanging it proudly on my wall. Honestly there are a lot of things that I am proud of her about. She doesn't need a leash to be walked, she is capable of listening sometimes and she has amazing natural guarding abilities because, she always looks to the sky when my Mom's Chihuahua is out and will alert us if there is a hawk nearby. Since she has gotten older she has started to pull a bit when it comes to her nails but, she isn't a young spring chicken anymore and I can tell she is aging so I let that go usually. It's the little things with her that make me the proudest.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Been thinking hard on this one SebastiansMom!!!

Our first Pyr, Spirit, made me proud when one evening while we were walking in Juneau & she was about 9 yrs....she started to growl & push me away from the street...well on the other side of the street was a guy in a hoodie about to cross the street...he thought better of it after Spirit got to her full largeness & started her deep bark...

Our Nick was pretty much the same way...always putting himself directly between me & people he didn't like...tho he was very quiet about it and many people never even noticed it...I did & heeded his opinion of the person in question.

Our Holly was afraid of her own shadow...but she made me proud the first time she trusted someone...which was a gentleman who had had a stroke & loved giving her treats at the dog park...
    Another thing Holly did that was quite brilliant on her part, was one day on a hike in an area we had never been before, she would run ahead of us, then back again...she was having a great time! then the trail forked...she must have gone one way, as we went another....I was worried that she had fallen down a ravine....all the way back to the car I called her, she never came....and then...there she was...waiting patiently by the car, she had found her way back...such a smart girl!

Rudy made me very proud when he was about 9 months old....our gate hadn't shut properly, we didn't know until late at night when we called Rudy to come in (and yes he actually does come eventually! which I guess that is what I should be proud of!) and when he didn't come I went to look in all his favorite spots...then I saw the gate open...my heart sank...it was dark, & we live near a busy road...hubby went looking in the cow pasture, I went looking down the road that we normally take our walks on & our neighbor stayed by the gate....well Rudy must have heard us calling him...and he did come...and sat right by our neighbor until we got back...and he's not done that since...which I am soooo proud of!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I love these stories!

Jewel`s Photos

This is not a proud moment brag, but I am excited to say that Ren will be following family tradition... he's starting agility class next week I am excited. I think he'll have fun, I think I will too.

Bro
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH5P1382.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	9529

Bijou
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p61766352-4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	9530