Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default What Makes You Proud?

Letís face it: the behavior section of this forum can be a scary place. There are definitely some threads here that have kept me up at night. After all, people donít really ask questions when their dog is behaving well...

I thought it might be fun to tell stories about the times our dogs made us really proud of them. It could be something major, like passing the CGC, or something seemingly minor like choosing to be cooperative at a time you really werenít expecting them to.

Saturday, I was sitting at the table eating leftover pizza. The boys love when I eat pizza because they know that they are definitely going to get the crust. Halfway through my first slice, something got my attention and lured me away from the table for a moment. I came back to the table to find two dogs lying on the floor, and a plate full of pizza on the table. They could easily have taken the opportunity to steal my food, and they chose not to. Iím pretty proud of them.

Okay, now I want to hear your stories!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Lily has a lot of fears, one of which is being lifted and bodily moved. Since her partial CCL tear, I load her into the golf cart when we are going on extended runs so she doesn't overdo it. She climbs in carefully but there is no way to get her out without possibly stressing her leg so she has to be lifted out. Her anxiety about being lifted has been pretty severe and results in a dog that looks like it is about to be beaten. A very sad sight indeed. We've been working on this daily because being left home on the long walks would be almost unbearable for her her. This morning, I stood with her for a few extra minutes, told her I understood how she felt and that I would never drop her. She pushed her head into my neck and rested her chin on my shoulder and allowed me to lift her down as if she'd never had a problem with it in her life. This is an issue we've been working on for 9 months and I am so proud of her for being so brave today!!!

Yesterday I had to stop at Home Depot on the way home from the vet's office with Rona. It was supposed to be a quick stop to order paint but they needed to match it and needed me to approve the final color. Since I was in the truck, Rona was not crated. It was taking FOREVER in the paint department and I began to have desperate images of chewed steering wheels and other images of Rona-induced destruction. Finally became so overwhelming that I went out and brought her into the store. Rona has never been in a store in her life and is not a city dog. She knows the monastery and the vet's office. She behaved as if she went shopping every day! No lunging at merchandise or shoppers, sitting nicely to be petted by the hoards of enthusiastic shoppers that wanted to meet her and patiently waiting with me at the paint counter for what seemed like an eternity. Can't say how proud I was of my baby! Could have been an unbelievable nightmare, as you well know!

I love both of those stories so much! Such good girls you have!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Ooooooh! Ru and Rona want to come!!! Rona is desperately trying to find a way to get up and walk on the big wall that Ru like to walk on. Still lacks a bit of coordination.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	9533

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Love the stories! Keep the coming!

I hope one day I can bump this thread and tell you guys that Pippa has let me clip her nails or that she hasn't dug any holes in the yard lol

I love all of these stories! Jewel, I am so excited to see Ren follow in Bro and Bijouís footsteps! Mikel, if Pippa is anything like Sebastian, she will just seem to magically snap out of her bad habits one day. Of course, she wonít snap out of them all at once, but...

The other day, Sebastian told me that he wanted to go outside. I opened the door to let him out, and sure enough, as soon as the door was open and he was taking off toward the fence, I saw the silhouette of a dog walking on the other side of the wood slats. Sebastian started trying to break the gate to get to the other dog, when I asked him if he would rather have a piece of chicken instead. He actually came running inside to get the piece of chicken! That was a pretty proud moment at our house!

Sebastian is also pretty grossed out by Chesterís nasty poop-eating habit, and has developed a special bark to alert me to the fact that Chester is turd burgling again. Thatís also pretty pride-inducing!

As for Chester, he has been making leaps and bounds of progress with his anxiety, especially his SA. He now chooses to hang out by himself in the front bedroom from time to time, when Sebastian and I are in my bedroom watching tv. Chester is also okay with me leaving at odd times of the day, as well as leaving more than once. Words canít describe how proud of him I am for learning to conquer his fears!

Lately, I have been leaving some food on my plate on purpose and then walk away from the dinning room to see if Pippa eats it or not, and to my surprise, every time I come back, the food is still there. Very surprising! One of these days I will leave some bread on the table before going to work to see if she gets it or not. Right now I'm very proud that she doesn't steal my food when I tell her "No Pippa, this is not for you". She doesn't eat anything that is on the table either. She patiently waits by my side until I'm done eating, so we're making some progress. I don't know if I told you guys, but when she was 7-8 months old she ate an entire tray of cupcakes that I had made the night before. She ate at least 10. She ate everything but the toothpick and the wrap.

So yeah, I'm happy that I can leave some food sitting outside that she could totally reach, but she decides not to take it. YAY!

Iím glad to know Iím not the only one who has eaten 10 cupcakes in one sitting...

As far as learning to leave your food alone when youíre not looking, YAY, PIPPA!!! That is definitely behavior worth being proud of!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I think Pippa is turning into quite the lady!...great going team Pippa!

Rudy is on a roll.....yesterday he woke me up at 6...(he goes out around 4 or 5 AM)....his bark was different...he also came to the bedroom glass door & loudly barked...that got my attention!! Looked out, & there he was barking & running along our fence line...pacing a coyote!! Hubby went out to give Rudy back up...and the coyote took off in the opposite direction.

Rudy proved that he takes his role as LGD very seriously!

I forgot to mention that the reason why I am very proud of her is because when she was a puppy she escaped and ran away twice. For a while I had to have her on a leash inside my house because as soon as she heard a door opening, she would run out and finding her was tough. I am not saying that I leave the door open on purpose now, but she has had opportunities to run out again (for example when I am entering the garage) and she hasn't done it.

Call it training. Call it growing up. I don't know what it is, but I am loving it.

Pippa has transformed my life and I don't know what I would do without her. I love this breed and I can see myself having another GP mix in the near future.