Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Behavior changes

Kit had her emergency spay lately but her vulva shrank a little. It is still somewhat swollen so I gather the hormone levels had not completely dropped to normal. She started a very aggressive barking at people in the car. I donít think she is trying to defend the car but it sounds quite alarming. One of my dog friends stuck her arm in the car and she acted fine but the aggressive barking sounds alarming. She does the same thing to golf carts, kayaks, and strange objects she deems threatening. This used to never happen. Our dog Sahara used to be aggressive and barked like this but Kit doesnít do anything except sound scary. I was wondering if this is the guardian instincts kicking in or the hormones still or adolescence? Otherwise she behaves fine around large group of people at the farmers market or the dog park.

Pjg8r`s Photos

It could be any of those things but you also are having health issues, right? These dogs are very sensitive to someone in their flock who may be extra vulnerable. This can be human or sheep etc. The barking is an alert and as long as you remain calm she should take her signals from you. However, I had one that once she began exhibiting this it was hard to stop. Hope you are all healing!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

not necessarily apples to apples, but it was 6 months after I got Wiley neutered before I noticed a change in behavior. A lot of his "puppy shyness" returned after that. He's still good with people he knows, but can often be wary of strangers- especially at night.