Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Feeding an 9 week old Pyrenees

We just adopted a 9 week old 20lb Pyrenees and weíll be picking him up tomorrow. Iíve read online that Pyrenees have different food consumption than most dogs since they donít use as much energy. We did purchase a grain free puppy food: natures domain puppy Chicken and pea. I donít want to over feed or underfeed our new pup. How many calories does a 9 to 10 week old Great Pyrenees need per day and also what kind of wet food do you recommend as a topper for his dry food? Thank you so much

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome KodasPyrMom & new companion!!

I would start your boy out with a puppy kibble made for Large Breed puppies. Also, there are many breeders who do not even recommend feeding puppy food. Do you know what he is on now?

How many calories does he need....?......will depend on his exercise and energy level....I do try & feed my pups 3-4 times a day, smaller meals spread out through out the day...water picked up 8-9 PM....helps keep that puppy bladder emptied & you get more rest at night

Information on Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

you can look up the above thread to learn more about nutrition recommendation for large breed pups, I will try to "bump" the thread for you

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

thread has been bumped...

Jewel`s Photos

My breeder feeds the Kirkland regular formula to all her dogs. Ren was raised on the Kirkland chicken and rice adult formula kibbles. When he came to us at 8 weeks, I kept him on the same food the next two months. The adult formula has the acceptable calcium/phosphorous ratio and not too high in fat. The Natures Domain has similar calcium/phosphorus & fat content levels as well.

How much to feed entirely depends on your puppy's body condition. It was difficult to get Ren to eat more than 2 cups a day when we first got him. He was growing just fine, not fat, not skinny. I started giving him 4 cups a day when he turned 4 months, but he didn't always finish his food. The goal is to keep a pup in the condition where it has a layer of flesh over the ribs, but you can still feel the ribs without having to press dow. If you can easily count each rib without pressing down on the sides, the pup can use more food. If you can feel the ribs, you should consider cutting back.

What is this pup eating now? You might want to get some of his current food and slowly transition to the Natures Domain. Not all pups do well with a sudden food change.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    My breeder feeds the Kirkland regular formula to all her dogs. Ren was raised on the Kirkland chicken and rice adult formula kibbles. When he came to us at 8 weeks, I kept him on the same food the next two months. The adult formula has the acceptable calcium/phosphorous ratio and not too high in fat. The Natures Domain has similar calcium/phosphorus & fat content levels as well.

How much to feed entirely depends on your puppy's body condition. It was difficult to get Ren to eat more than 2 cups a day when we first got him. He was growing just fine, not fat, not skinny. I started giving him 4 cups a day when he turned 4 months, but he didn't always finish his food. The goal is to keep a pup in the condition where it has a layer of flesh over the ribs, but you can still feel the ribs without having to press dow. If you can easily count each rib without pressing down on the sides, the pup can use more food. If you can feel the ribs, you should consider cutting back.

What is this pup eating now? You might want to get some of his current food and slowly transition to the Natures Domain. Not all pups do well with a sudden food change.
    This is also what we started with back in the days!
    Last edited by Jamestheone85; 11-18-2018 at 10:16 AM.

cooltouch`s Photos

I'm still new to the breed, but I thought I'd pass along what we've been feeding our Great Pyr pup, who is now almost 5 months old and probably weighs around 45 pounds.

We got him when he was 6 weeks and fed him a combination of goat's milk and Kirkland's puppy food (chicken and green pea) that we softened with water. Within a couple weeks we began adding canned Pedigree and Alpo to his diet. For the past couple of months, he receives about half-and -half softened Kirkland puppy food and canned Pedigree or Alpo, sometimes it'll be the canned puppy food, but more often as not, it's just one of the regular flavors.

Our dog has grown quickly and is very healthy. The vet agrees, and visits to the vet have shown our pup to be putting on 9 pounds between each 3-week visit. He's gotten all his shots now, so the next visit will be at about a month since the last one, when we'll be getting his HartGaurd medicine from the vet. I expect that, when we visit the vet, he's gonna weigh at least 45 pounds.

Our Pyr has a very healthy appetite. He's now eating one-half of the small sized cans (13.2 oz) and about an equal measure of dry food per meal. We're feeding him three times a day and we supplement his meals with a scoop of dry food, which is almost always consumed before the next scheduled feeding. I'm estimating that we will need to increase the amount of food per feeding soon. The dog is growing so fast, I can almost see him getting bigger before my eyes. It wasn't all that long ago that he was a cute little bundle of white fluff. He's still a cute bundle of white fluff, except he's now a very big one -- too big to fit on our laps anymore, although he does try!

He has a good deal of energy, which he displays when we let him out into our large backyard to do his business, usually three times a day. We often leave him out to roam around for an hour at a stretch. The older he gets, the more interested he has become in all the features of our backyard. Our next door neighbor has chickens, which are kept in their yard via a common 6-ft chain link fence, and he usually goes over there to commiserate with the chickens almost every time he gets let out into the backyard. Just a short while ago, when we let him out, I was thinking he'd probably decline, since it is currently cold and rainy. But he surprised me, taking off into the rain, and running about in the yard, appearing to really enjoy himself. The dog has plenty of energy, that's for sure.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert at this, obviously, but I just thought I'd share what seems to be working pretty well with our fast-growing pup. Good luck in your future pursuits and enjoy your pup while it's so small -- it won't last long . . . although come to think of it, 9 weeks and 20 pounds sounds like a very healthy pup indeed.
    Last edited by cooltouch; 10-24-2018 at 09:19 AM.
    Best,
    Michael