Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Feeding an 9 week old Pyrenees

We just adopted a 9 week old 20lb Pyrenees and weíll be picking him up tomorrow. Iíve read online that Pyrenees have different food consumption than most dogs since they donít use as much energy. We did purchase a grain free puppy food: natures domain puppy Chicken and pea. I donít want to over feed or underfeed our new pup. How many calories does a 9 to 10 week old Great Pyrenees need per day and also what kind of wet food do you recommend as a topper for his dry food? Thank you so much

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome KodasPyrMom & new companion!!

I would start your boy out with a puppy kibble made for Large Breed puppies. Also, there are many breeders who do not even recommend feeding puppy food. Do you know what he is on now?

How many calories does he need....?......will depend on his exercise and energy level....I do try & feed my pups 3-4 times a day, smaller meals spread out through out the day...water picked up 8-9 PM....helps keep that puppy bladder emptied & you get more rest at night

Information on Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

you can look up the above thread to learn more about nutrition recommendation for large breed pups, I will try to "bump" the thread for you

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

thread has been bumped...

Jewel`s Photos

My breeder feeds the Kirkland regular formula to all her dogs. Ren was raised on the Kirkland chicken and rice adult formula kibbles. When he came to us at 8 weeks, I kept him on the same food the next two months. The adult formula has the acceptable calcium/phosphorous ratio and not too high in fat. The Natures Domain has similar calcium/phosphorus & fat content levels as well.

How much to feed entirely depends on your puppy's body condition. It was difficult to get Ren to eat more than 2 cups a day when we first got him. He was growing just fine, not fat, not skinny. I started giving him 4 cups a day when he turned 4 months, but he didn't always finish his food. The goal is to keep a pup in the condition where it has a layer of flesh over the ribs, but you can still feel the ribs without having to press dow. If you can easily count each rib without pressing down on the sides, the pup can use more food. If you can feel the ribs, you should consider cutting back.

What is this pup eating now? You might want to get some of his current food and slowly transition to the Natures Domain. Not all pups do well with a sudden food change.