Young Dawg (Member) oldhousegeek's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Advice needed on fencing

Help, please, experts. I have a 4 1/2-foot cedar picket fence in my current home and his lordship has chewed the tops off the pickets, pulled off pickets, dug under the pickets, and escaped in other ways. In an ever-escalating arms race, I've laid cinder blocks on the bottom, pvc pipe on the top, etc. The fence looks like it belongs in a penal colony.

I'm moving in a couple of months and this time I want to install the most escape-proof fence possible. (I want him to be able to see out, though.) Any suggestions on the best way to go?

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

I like pasture fencing, or chain link, with a pyr a 6 foot or taller fence is suggested. I include a picture of the fencing we have. Not usre if it is the best for your situation, but for us it works. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10426272_828345123897784_5034257547968306803_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	9513

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

so...is this a new behavior that "his lordship" is demonstrating?

is it possible there might be a female in heat near by?

he's about 4 now isn't he?

yes, definitely a taller fence is an answer, along with either cinder blocks buried so he can't dig out, or poured concrete at the bottom or some type of rock...deep enough to not be able to dig out.

just wondering...why do you want him to be able to see out of the fence? a fence he won't challenge might be a nice wooden fence

Jewel`s Photos

You need at least 6 feet fence. Even with a 6 ft fence, with a dedicated escape artist, your should still put the roll bar on top. You want to avoid any type of fencing where the dog could have a foot hold to climb the fence. We have 8 ft wood fence all around. With those to be extra safe you would want the horizontal rails to be on the other side. Our dogs haven't been climbers so it's not as big of an issue for us. Also note that any cinder block you can pick up and move, so can your big strong dog. So if you want to stop the digging under, it is more secure to bury the blocks under the fence, and not just pile them in front of the fence. Or pour cement down at the base of the fence.

I prefer my dogs not have visual of outside. The visual can stimulate them and encourage escaping; it can also expose the dog to teasing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I have a 6 foot wooden fence that has, thus far, managed to keep Commander Fluff contained. Granted, his preferred method of escape has been to open the gate and let himself out, so I keep the gate latch locked.

I did have a Behaviorist suggest using chicken wire around the bottom of the fence to prevent digging out. She suggested stapling the wire to the bottom of the fence, then burying it. She also recommended that when I resod my yard, to bury a layer of chicken wire underneath the sod to prevent them digging holes in the yard.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Young Dawg (Member) oldhousegeek's Avatar

Thanks for the helpful responses! His lordship (Diego) is 8 and has been neutered, so he's interested in menaces threatening his realm rather than romance. I thought he'd slow down now that he's older, but so far he hasn't gotten the memo.

I want a see-through fence for him because guarding the realm is really, really important to his self-image. And I want to be able to enjoy the scenery beyond the fence. I'll take your advice about burying chicken wire and using concrete blocks to prevent digging. The livestock fencing looks like a great idea, too. Much appreciated, all.