Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Ear Infection for Sir Moose

Thursday afternoon Sir Moose was shaking his head a little. Then yesterday he would flinch and pull away when we touched. So a trip to the vet. NO problem with his left ear, but his right seemed very sore. They did a culture to check of ear mites, etc and I guess to determine what kind of infection it was. Let me tell you, it took 3 of us to hold him while the vet got a culture in both ears. He never growled, snapped, etc, just whined and turned his head almost upside down.

Decided to send him with a couple fo days of milk pain pills and a tube of cream to put in his ear, and some antibiotic pills. I reminded them how hard it was to get a pill down him, all but impossible. You can poke one WAY down his throat and just rub and massage for minutes, he will swallow a couple of times, and then leave the room. an hour or so later you would find that pill in the entry hall or clear back in one of the bedrooms.

With Jerry, me and the tech holding him, the vet tried to put that ointment in his ear, but no success. So she used a syringe without the needle and did get it in. Then they put his pills in a pill pocket and he had it out before the vet could say Sir Moose. Tried poking the antibiotic down his throat, rubbed an rubbed it, thought he had swallowed it, he went to the door (he wanted out of that exam room) and sapt it out. Plan B.

Decided to give himn injection for pain that would last about 24 hours and an antibiotic injection.....and put the pills back in their bottles. Gave him the pain injection and he never flinched. I saw that thick white liquid in the other syringe and asked what it was and the vet said "Penicillin" When I was 10 I had rheumatic fever and was in hospital for 10 days. In morning got pen. injection in one arm, that hip that night, other arm the next morning, that hip that night. I I well remember how much they hurt. Sir Moose agreed--he flinched big time and let out a whine when they gave him that injection.

Sent home a syringe for me to use to put the ointment in his ear until it stops hurting so much, and Jerry held him and I did it this morning, but he offered very little resistance. Guess it is already feeling better. We go back on Tuesday for a follow up.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

My dogs refuse to take pills as well, I use a mortar and pestle, and mix the pill in with a big spoonful of peanut butter in a small bowl, works every time. Another word of advice, I have a long history of ear infections, so I am well versed, I had tubes in my ears as a teenager and I ultimately blew both eardrums at separate times.Until his ears clear up you should remove all forms of dairy, and really cut back on starches. Yogurt is excellent to feed him right now though. The other forms of dairy feed candida which run rampant when you have any sort of an infection, they help keep it going, so you want to starve them out.

I know he is on a pretty strict diet so if you can't elimate, please at least give him some good plain yogurt I hope he gets well fast!!! We send prayers and good healing energy to you all.

Jewel`s Photos

I am glad to hear that Sir Moose seems to be improving already!!

A few years back when Bijou had a raging ear infection, the vet used this one med that is applied once, packed deep in the ear that lasts 2 weeks or something like that. It makes the dog a bit deaf for several days but the owner wouldn't have to medicate the earat home. It worked for her though it was disconcerting that we had to shout at her so she could hear.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

so sorry that Sir Moose is having to go through this.....tho he sounds like a trooper, unlike Rudy, when Rudy has a problem in his ears he turns into a growling, grumbling stubborn mass of muscle! And just like Moose, he doesn't like the ear ointment....last time he had a problem with his ears he was so bad we had to put him under, and they gave him the same medication that Bijou had....but Rudy already had been without hearing in that ear, and his listening response is not that well anyway!

the mortar & pestle sounds like a great idea...just making the pill into a fine powder & put it on/in something he really like, heck ot could be gravy or soup!

please let us know how the good boy is doing....hope you & Jerry don't have to wrestle him too much!