Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Pyrenees owner needing help

So I adopted two Great Pyrenees pups recently. I was told my boy was 6 months old, but when we got him he seems probably closer to a year with no more puppy hair or teeth. He is a wanderer and while trying to train him on the invisible fence we've had to keep him on tie out while not in the yard with him. The first couple weeks he was a bit timid and mostly afraid as he had never worn a collar before we got him, but his manners were pretty good. The last three days though he has very much warmed up and decided this is his home, but has decided that both jumping up and playful nipping are appropriate behaviours. So now while outside working with him, small child in tow I have a 70lb Pyrenees jumping all over me and can't seem to get him in line. He doesn't know any commands really other than call back, so I've been telling him no and pushing him down but everyday its the same thing again. We also got a 4 month old puppy who is definitely her age and she follows his every lead so now I have two jumpers. Any suggestions?

Jewel`s Photos

If you boy is about 70 lbs, it is quite possible he is really about 6 months old. My Ren was an average sized pup and kept thin and he was about 63 pounds the day he turned 6 months.

Jumping is not easy to fix. They jump because they are excited and by pushing him down, you are likely getting him more excited. Pyrs can react a little differently than other breeds. When a pyr pup is excited, it isn't unusual that physical corrections back fire. They are big robust pups that play rough, and so when you try to push them off, they get even more excited. My 17 month-old teenager is like that and so was his aunt before him.

Are these puppies getting enough exercise? If a pup has too much energy, it is very difficult to teach manners. So, make sure these pups get plenty of physical exercise and play. A tired pup is a good pup.

Is this puppy food motivated? If so, you can start teaching him to sit for food then have treats with you when you go out and ask him to sit and wait for the treat. You can ask him to sit, ask him to lie down. If you can get him over the initial burst of excitement he would be more manageable.

Invisible fences are not always workable for pyrs. I wish you good luck with training yours on it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

My boy jumped a lot and what I found worked well was to not verbally respond and turn away from him. It is no longer fun when the pup is not being engaged. I would also suggest ramping up the exercise. Google search flirt pole, you can buy or make your own. It is meant as a training tool, but I just used it as a toy to drain Apollo's energy.

As to the nipping, that is very typical with pyr pups, we call that shark mouth at my house. As I recall it was 8 or 9 months old that that slacked off. I found that soaking a rope toy in water, then freezing it helped, teething for these guys is fairly painful and the frozen rope toy helped a lot, you can also use old hand towels and wash cloths. Just keep in mind they will be chewed up so don't use anything you care about.