Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New to farm Pyr keeps digging and jumping fence AWOL DAILY

We recently got a 10 mo female Pyr. We already have a 2 yo male. The female has started jumping over the fence and digging under fence. The last time She left she was gone and entire day. The male goes with her, but he comes back.
    Female, Sheba, was found 3.5 miles away by kind people who responded to our ad. How do we keep Sheba in the pasture when she clearly wants out. We are daily reinforce fencing. They are both gone again today. Help

Falkor's mama`s Photos

What type of fencing do you have?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

do you think your female is trying to find her former home?

how long is "recently"?

if your male doesn't challenge your fencing, maybe you might think about putting Sheba in a barn...or some other secure area where she can settle into her new home.

unfortunately, a higher fence with rocks or concrete poured at the bottom might be the answer....one of our members put a pvc/plastic pipe strung on a wire above his fencing....pipe turns on the wire, doesn't allow the dog to get a paw hold on it
    look up "home made coyote roller"

Puppy (New Member)

We’ve had Sheba for a month. She never attempted climbing fence until I took her for a walk this week. I Put her up and that was her first escape. I guess the taste of freedom? We had her in our barn when we first got her and again after her first escape this week, she busted through a window(plexiglass) and got out. The male, Shiloh, also diggs and climbs out routinely, but hasn’t tried since we got Sheba, he always comes home. Yesterday they were gone for nearly 7 hours, and finally came home. Her former home is 2 hours away, they kept her in the house, that’s why they were getting rid of her. We have a small 13 acre farm, with only
    4 acres fenced, currently.
    The pvc on top of fence sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

Puppy (New Member)

“Fencing” Mostly chain link and regular post/wire. It’s higher in the pasture than in their dog pen. She digs under pasture fence and climbs over dog pen and goat pen fencing. Both pens open up into pasture.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

You may be able to run a hot wire along the bottom (to prevent digging) and top (to prevent climbing)to keep her from escaping. This is a method that is often used if you are dealing with an escape artist and fences that are not solid or constructed to prevent climbing. Putting in hot wire is one of the least expensive ways to secure a fence line. Wireless is not considered a secure containment for LGD breeds by itself but can work if there is a visible fence to prevent them from just rushing through and getting beyond the shock quickly. It's often hard to determine why a dog takes to roaming but it is a strong pull in the genetics of LGD breeds and once they start, it is very difficult to stop them unless you can make your fence secure. Even though your male currently comes back, he's also at risk of injury if he is roaming about. Where I am, folks will shoot a dog if it is running loose and comes near their stock. They shoot and ask questions later. Doesn't matter if the dog shows no signs of being aggressive towards the stock... Hopefully you can implement a system that will keep Sheba and Shiloh at home where they are safe. If Sheba was an indoor dog previously, she may be having difficulty transitioning to being outdoors and may be missing time with her people. Perhaps some supervised indoor time will help her bond more quickly with you and help show what she needs to keep her safe and happy.

Puppy (New Member)

"Sheba got loose last Sunday for the first time. Almost everyday since." Yesterday we had to retrieve her from the pound at $200. She got chipped, which means it will more, next time. At this point, we are most likely getting rid of her, as we don't have the time or money to fix fence before she takes off again... which was today. Not sure we have time/money for the hot wire, though we could tackle it if we had more time. Any quick solutions? (She breaks through the windows in barn.) We'll probably put her up for sale today.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by sheba View Post
    we are most likely getting rid of her
    I get it, you can't contain her. I guess that makes her entirely disposable.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

out of curiosity..has she been spayed?

if you do put her up for sale, please be honest regarding her behavior....ask a substantial price...please make sure that she is not going to be a puppy mill...that she will go to a knowledgeable home regarding LGD's...

at 10 months old, she is still very much a puppy, sounds like one who hasn't been taught exactly what is expected of her...unfortunately teaching takes time, energy, patience & dedication, as well as knowledge of working with her as a "team" where there is mutual trust...

Puppy (New Member)

"Jewel" I appreciate your earnest desire for GPs. We have a farm. We have lots of animals to care for. We have 3 other dogs that we have had since they were puppies, one is a GP. Unfortunately, we do not have money to spend,$200 per visit, nor do we have the time. My husband and son have spent countless hours installing(and reinforcing) fences and shelters/homes for our animals. I gave up a career to homeschool our children. We do not have the extra income that we could pay someone to install a hot wire fence in one day. Today, Sheba has gotten out of the barn and the pasture, two times, just today, she would have went missing again, if my husband & kids had not been working outside to catch her. Husband works 10-12 hours a day, sometimes having to travel, he cannot install a fence on a whim. Which is what we need. I would much rather Sheba go to a family that has a secure fence and lot of time, to keep her safe.
    Walk in my shoes before you pass judgement, please.