Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Best chewies for Pyr pups

Hi there,

After a year of raising our neighbor’s free-range Pyr pup, who spent almost all her time at our home, they moved away and took the Pyr with them. Our home hasn’t been the same since. Even our Sheltie misses her.

So we finally decided to get a Pyr of our own. Pup will be coming in mid March from a responsible breeder who is helping us select for temperament. We plan for her to be a companion dog, house dog, go with us as we walk our property and surrounding area, travel, train for therapy work.

We are experienced at raising and training Shelties and have done a lot of research into Pyrs. Have ordered big crate for housebreaking!

We want to minimize risk of hip and joint issues so will be feeding a giant breed food that controls protein and minerals, and will be restricting stair climbing, slippery floors, etc.

BUT- puppies love to chew!! Our Sheltie’s preference is bully sticks. They have a lot of protein. What kind of dog chewy (edible or otherwise) do you experienced folks suggest for a Pyr pup?

Cheers,
    Kathy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Welcome Kathy!!

I would talk with your breeder and see what their suggestions are....

I usually start out with Nylabone toys something that won't break a puppy tooth, and keep a couple of wet, frozen towels/rags in the freezer for them to chew on....the frozen towels are like a numbing chew as they are teething

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Hi Nancy and Rudy,

Good thoughts. I will talk to breeder when we go over next week to see the pups. Never thought about frozen towels, that's a great idea.

See you are in WallaWalla. We used to live in TriCities. Too hot there for me! We like snow.

Anyone with ideas on why I get an error message uploading a 109K picture from both IPad and Windows platforms?

Cheers, Kathy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

We used to live in Alaska...and before that Priest River....I prefer the snow as well, and so does Rudy!!

used to live in AZ as well....W2 is a compromise for all of us!

not sure about the photo error message...I just save the photo to my computer, then up load from there (not very technically inclined!!)

Jewel`s Photos

Each of mine had different preferences. Bro, the one on the right of my avatar pic, was not a big chewer. He preferred flat soft toys. Bijou the one on the left, really liked the hard Nyla bones. My current adolescent Ren plays with a basket full of soft toys but he seems to have a slightd preference for the really big stuff toys. He has little interest in Nyla bone type hard chew toys. He loves plastic bottles.

Before Ran turned 6 months, I didn't give him any chews that would give him extra calcium. So he didn't get those big knuckle bones or pig ears.

Puppy (New Member)

I will have to watch pup and see what her preference is....if she never gets a food chewy, she won’t miss them. I’ve never had a dog that liked Nylabones, darn it. Hope she is a toy loving dog.

The neighbor’s Pyr pup chewed everything under the sun because she was allowed to run loose...She chewed deer antlers, deer legs, and old bones she dragged out of the woods, along with sticks, a straw broom, and every doormat I ever put out. She loved playing with empty plastic milk jugs. Our yard was quite untidy at times but she was so joyous in her play that I only took away things that were bad for her...which was all the time. (No, I will not allow my pup to roam! It’s a wonder that pup did not succumb to predators or die from eating something bad for her.)