Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Iíve noticed some odd behaviors as she is recovering. She is really vocal. She barks at absolutely nothing. Yesterday we were in an elevator and she barked at the ceiling. Today, I saw her barking at an empty bathroom. She despises this cone and is clearly bored from being kept apart from Lucky. Iíve underestimated how important Lucky is in keeping her occupied. She keeps trying to get Paul to play with her by nibbling on his pants. We stopped giving her Tramadol so I wonder if the drugs were keeping her calm or this is a side effect.

Jewel`s Photos

Very happy the site is back up!

I am enormously relieved to hear that Kit is getting back to her normal self!!!! Can't be happier to hear that Paul is back to being embarrassed by Kit on walks!!!!!!!! Sorry Paul....

Well, it is sure good information about the embryonic stem cells. I mean, it's not good for you and Kit, but at least that gives a reason why in the world Kit would have come down pyo during her FIRST heat.

I think her "odd" behaviors are just the byproducts of her first season and everything else that's been so out of whack lately. Even though she's now spayed, there is probably still hormones in her system for the time being. She was spayed during her heat cycle, and so it would not be a surprise if she's still acting differently because of her hormones.

I hope that Nibbler is doing much better now. And also mom herself too!!!!!

snow0160`s Photos

Yeah the website had some database errors. I asked my husband about that and he guessed, itíll get fixed in a day or two and surely it did! Thank you GP site manager!

Do you think the embryonic cells caused the pyo on first heat cycle? The vet did not attribute it to the stem cells. Pyo is really terrifying because even with surgery there is a 20% failure rate. The vocalization and crazy behavior does seem like how she behaved when her heat cycle started. We weighed her at the vet she weighs 80lbs at 13 months. Paul was surprised even though I thought she weighed more. Paul thinks she grew while we were away bc even pyo Kit is crazy strong. What kind of behavioral changes should I expect from a spayed female?

Jewel`s Photos

Because Kit is young, her adult personality is still developing. Thus there would be no way to attribute any behavior/personality shift to either the spay or just her mature personality coming through.

She's not little at 80 lbs at 13 months. Our first pyr was 65 lbs at 10 months and eventually matured to be about 82 lbs. Bijou was 59 at 13 months. Kit's just about the same size as Ren, who at 17 months is about 83-85 lbs.

snow0160`s Photos

Haha Kitís dad is named trex and he weighed 115lb. Mom was a small framed but 92lbs

snow0160`s Photos

Sahara was 68lbs and Kit is a lot bigger. She is getting really bored with the cone situation and has a lot of restless energy.

snow0160`s Photos

Update 1:
    Two days after stitches were removed, Kit ate the rest of this book she loves. She ate the first half a few months ago since it is my favorite book, I could live without the cover. Paul hid this book on the shelf but she is still tall enough to reach it. You figure there are plenty of other books she could eat but she likes to only eat the one I love most. I am a bit puzzled how she manages to know.. she must have a good nose. Well now I know she is getting better!

Update 2:
    The biopsy came back and the vet thinks she is a medical marvel. Turns out the tissues are undeveloped stem cells. Crazy right? I don’t know if that means it is a vanishing twin situation or simply undeveloped cells from birth. The vanishing twin is a condition where a fetus absorbs the other embryo while in the womb. Someone had mentioned this concept to me but it is very fascinating. Does that mean my dog has two sets of dna? I need to speak to my vet in about a month for a recheck to see if the tissue grows and becomes problematic. If so, back in for surgery again. Poor Kit. I think without any hormones, the tissues should most likely not be an issue.

Update3:
    She has a seroma or a pocket of fluid buildup around the incision area. I understand this is normal bc Lucky had that after his gastropexy. I am limiting her activity until that pocket gets smaller. I have a question regarding if I can bathe her soon. She has some mats on her butt and belly. Her incision site is still a bit pink although it is healing nicely.

Jewel`s Photos

Must have been a very good book!

Being mischievous is a very good sign!!

How is Nibbler doing?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian absolutely loved the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. He literally devoured it, starting with the ending. Out of all of the books he tore up, that was his favorite. Iím glad to see that Kit is, once again, up to no good. She must be feeling better!

I hope that you and Nibbler can say the same!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. My foot problems got worse and I am really unable to walk. Nibbler is doing way better. Rover denied Kitís claim for pyometra bc you cannot prove definitely that it is caused by neglect as it is related to elevated progesterone levels. Kit is feeling so much better now that she humped Lucky as I started typing this post. Lol. Both dogs have been off their cones and things are returning to normal.