Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Just checking in that hopefully both Kit and Nibbler are responding to meds.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you SB. Your dogs are good buddies for sticking up for me =)

Update:
    Kit's discharge is no longer a brown pus. Last night it was turning red like regular blood and then now it is clear but it is a huge mess back there. We had to trim her panteloons. Her fever dropped from 102.3 to 101.8. I think the Zenequin really helped. She did get up to eat and drink. I was really emotional yesterday because Kit wasn't moving and bleeding like crazy. I made some very bad food choices. I didn't want to leave her alone and had pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For dessert, we had leftover icecream. Unfortunately, this gave me acute gastritis. Anger and sadness does not mix well like ice cream although the drumstick flavor Edy's ice cream is to die for. I don't know if any of you had acute gatritis before but I woke up several times in excrutiating pain throughout the night and almost headed for the hosptial. After a bit of research on acute gastritis, there was very little they could have done for me at the ER, I've decided to sleep it off all day.

I have a question about how to keep Kit clean back there. We keep shaving off her hair but it is still a mess. I am hesitant to give her a shower because of the stitches in her tummy. We are just using wet nonabrasive microfiber towels to wipe off any new discharge. Is there any better ideas? Are there specialty wipes? Should I use baby wipes?

Jewel`s Photos

This is what I did for Bro when he had bladder stone surgery then had complications after. Over several days he dripped pee all over his fur and down his legs. I tried wiping him off when he dripped, but it wasn't really cleaning his fur much.

I'll try to explain the best I can. The key is you have to have some sort of hard surface to wipe the fur against in order to get the gunk off. Bro was very obedient and I had him lie flat on his side for me on top of a plastic sheet. Then I put a wet towel underneath his rump and then I wiped the pantaloons of the the leg underneath with as many wet paper towels as needed until I got the fur as clean as I could. I used a tiny bit (not enough to lather up) of shampoo on the paper towels to help clean the fur. Then I had him roll to his other side and did the other leg. Use just enough water to clean, but not enough that it would run everywhere. I went slowly. I was careful not to have the towels too wet to avoid getting his belly where surgery site was wet.

[sigh...] come to think of it, I used the same method to clean Bijou when she was terminally ill and was passing liquid stool. It got her pretty clean under the circumstances...

snow0160`s Photos

Thanks Jewel. I did exactly as you've said and got a lot of the gunk off. Kit is doing great today! She tried to snuggle me on the sofa. I am going to limit her movement because she seems like herself again.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Snow, I’m so thrilled to hear that Kit is feeling so much better! The boys and I hope that you and Nibbler are able to say the same!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

SM:
    Nibbler's eye also appears to be improving. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to check her eye. My stomach is getting better; however, I've developed plantar fasciitis from intense foot swelling during my travels. I must not have noticed it the first few days of getting back because of all the dog injuries. I wasn't sure if it was the procedure, the plane, or walking around that caused it. Everytime I fly, especially long distance (ususually longer than 5hours), my foot swells up a little. This time, my foot swelled up a lot on the plane. I'm gonna stay off my feet for a few days and will be wearing my boot if I need to get around. I feel a bit hexed but I am happy to say that things are improving.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I’m so happy to hear that Nibbler also seems to be improving! Please let us know how the appointment goes tomorrow! We are sending lots of healing energy in the hopes that you are feeling much much much better soon! Hopefully, there are no more setbacks!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Snow this was a horrifying read! We are sending you prayers and vibes for healing and strength! I hope things are better for all of you and you 3 continue healing. I second Sebastian's wish for that lady and Zech says he'd love to learn how to go Beethoven from Sebastian.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

I sure hope things have improved! I understand feeling the way you are right now and am sending lots of love and healing to you all!

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you guys! Kit is back to her crazy self except now the pent up energy is rising bc she is in a cone and can’t play with Lucky. She is back to being pretty nutty and crazy cuddly. I miss this Kit. My husband is back to being embarrassed taking her on walks. Ahh all is back to normal! Hurray!

I don’t know if I mentioned that the doctor sent out a tissue sample for biopsy. He said there were some “weird stuff” when he cut her open like something he has never seen before. Well turn out it is embryonic stem cells from when Kit was a puppy. It never developed and just sat there. He has never seen anything like it in his entire 30 years of practice. He was not able to remove these tissues during the surgery bc he did not know what it was. The worst thing that could happen is reinfection but he said that hopefully, without a uterus and ovary, she would have no hormones causing any future infections. So it isnt bad news just odd news.