Old Dawg (Senior Member) ecfinn's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Loose stool - changing food suggestions

Hi everyone,

Long time no talk. 2017 was a bad year for me and it ended not so well for our Pyr Toby either. In October we fostered a female pyr for the first time and she came to us with fleas. These fleas were resistant to both Frontline Plus and Advantix which we happened to have on hand. We quarantined her and gave her Nexgard which killed them. This kept the fleas off of Toby, but apparently we missed some of the eggs somewhere. She was only with us for 10 days before she was adopted to a great home. When the fleas eggs hatched later Toby got them bad. He got bad sores and couldn't stop itching. He was put on 3 weeks of antibiotics and prednisone as he's apparently allergic to the flea bites.

All this to say that all this stress upset his stomach and he started having loose stool/diarrhea on a regular basis. We tried numerous time to put him on a chicken rice diet for a week and then slowly transition back to his regular kibble. Each time we tried it when he would get up to about half a cup of kibble with his chicken/rice he would start with loose stool again. This was 2.5 months after the prednisone/antibiotics were done.

So this time we put him on chicken/rice and transitioned him to Hill's Prescription Diet ID. On this food his transition worked great and he's back to normal. Now we can't keep him on this as its major $$$$, so we're looking for something to put him on with limited ingredients. We're guessing he just became sensitive to the old food, Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Grain Free.

So has anything been through something similar where their dog's food started upsetting their stomach? If so, what did you end up feeding them that worked? Vet recommended Purina One, but I'm not a fan.

Thanks,
    Eric Finn

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Eric, welcome back!

I am so sorry that Toby had such a rough time with the Fleas. Sebastian also has a flea allergy, but from the sound of it, it is nothing like Tobyís. The fleas at our house are resistant to Frontline, as well, so itís Nexgard for us.

Sebastian also has a sensitive stomach, so I have tried several different brands before finding what works best for him. He did well on Holistic Select, but he got sick of it after a while, and started refusing to eat it. Iím also not sure if they offer a grain-free formula.

For the last few years, I have been feeding him Merrick Grain-free, and he has been thriving on it. Itís not exactly inexpensive (around $55 - $65 for a 25lb bag), but itís at least less expensive than the prescription diet. I usually alternate back and forth between the Buffalo and the Chicken formulas, but there are a lot of flavors to choose from.

Hopefully, you will find the right food for him quickly!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I've gone through this with two dogs, one being Tyro. I think his case is extreme, as usual! For him, we needed to put him on a Kangaroo based formula (Zignature brand) since his issues seemed to be related to the protein source. For my other dog that developed issues, he had trouble with chicken and beef but not other proteins. He did well on fish, venison, turkey, etc.

Since Toby is tolerating chicken and rice just fine and the Hill's prescription food which also contains chicken, I'd be wondering if he has a problem with the protein in his old food. I can't tell if it is a fish or turkey based food he was on. Other brands of LID food we used were Nutro and Natural Balance. I could not get any of my dogs to eat the Nutro but they were happy enough with the Natural Balance. I hope you can find something that will work for Toby. Flea allergy is a nightmare to deal with and hopefully he will not have to go through this again!

Young Dawg (Member) Aspen's Mom's Avatar

My Pyrenees had quite a sensitive stomach for several years after coming down with Parvo as a puppy. We also used the Hills Prescription Intestinal Diet with great success. At one time, I thought about switching and the nutritionist at the Vet recommended Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin formulation. I don't remember actually trying to switch her over to the Science diet, but she is now on a urinary diet. The transition was verrry slow. We actually failed one transition, but I tried again since the UTIs continued and went even slower which seemed to work.

Young Dawg (Member) oldhousegeek's Avatar

I haven't had any health complications with my guy, but he's been very loose since the day I got him as a puppy. I finally solved this problem by 1) greatly reducing chicken in his diet and 2) adding fiber. I feed him 1 part Hill's Intestinal formula (crap nutrition and some chicken, but lots of fiber) and 3 parts Acana Singles with Lamb and Apple (very nutritious and single-sourced protein--no chicken).

The way most chickens are raised is so ghastly that no one ought to eat chicken, but it's a big part of most dog foods because it's so cheap. After reading that many dogs can't tolerate factory-raised chicken, I switched to the single-sourced lamb and that helped a lot. But adding the extra fiber in the intestinal formula has totally solved my problem.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Feeding a large dog is incredibly expansive. I have two large dogs and two small dogs. One bag for my small dog last 6 months whereas for Kit it lasts half a month lol. We used to feed everyone Acana and then we moved to Fromm. Fromm was horrible! We had the exact problem as you with dog food and Sebastianís moms idea of Merrick GF salmon and sweet potato works very well for Kit. If you order on amazon subscribe and save, you could get 10% off .

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I can't believe how lucky I am with Pippa. Every time I read this thread or hear other friends talking about how hard is to switch diets etc, I feel horrible. I am currently feeding Pippa Nature's Domain Puppy Formula Chicken & Pea from Costco. She likes it and she is healthy. It's very inexpensive, and a part of me "feels bad" that I'm not feeding her top of the line brands, but I really don't think the food I'm giving her is bad at all. If anyone thinks otherwise, please, let me know. I have had some coworkers kind of making fun of me for not spending more money on her food. Oh well...

I also give her a kong with wet food before I go to work. I fill the kong with Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner Variety Pack With Filet Mignon. When I get home from work, the food in the kong is always gone.

Pippa eats a lot of fruit too. Well, I shouldn't say a lot in one serving because I know that sugar can upset their stomaches, but I like giving her small portions of a peach, apple, watermelon (she loves watermelon), pear... once a day.

The only health issue that we have had in the past was caused by lactose intolerance. Pippa is lactose intolerant so no milk or cheese for my Pippa! I know this is a very bad habit, but one time I let her lick a spoon that I had used to eat some yogurt, and she got very sick. She had really bad diarrhea for almost 2 days.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Mike...I have fed our dogs, Pyr's & Aussies the Natures Domain for years now...and all are healthy

I may be mistaken, but I thought I once read somewhere that this food is made by the same company that makes higher priced kibble, so I thin the joke is on your co-workers...you are feeding a high quality food without paying the outrageous price!

I think by now, you might want to think about switching Pippa over to the adult food....you're call...

What I like about the Natures Domain, is that if I want to switch the dogs to a different formula, say from salmon to turkey, it's not a big deal as with other foods having to be introduced very gradually

Poor Pippa....no ice cream for her..

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Mike...I have fed our dogs, Pyr's & Aussies the Natures Domain for years now...and all are healthy

I may be mistaken, but I thought I once read somewhere that this food is made by the same company that makes higher priced kibble, so I thin the joke is on your co-workers...you are feeding a high quality food without paying the outrageous price!

I think by now, you might want to think about switching Pippa over to the adult food....you're call...

What I like about the Natures Domain, is that if I want to switch the dogs to a different formula, say from salmon to turkey, it's not a big deal as with other foods having to be introduced very gradually

Poor Pippa....no ice cream for her..
    I was going to make a thread about switching Pippa over the adult food. I am planning on gradually doing it in the next few weeks. Hopefully no issues! Fingers crossed!

I am glad to hear that you also think Natures Domain is high quality food. Pippa likes it and the vet approves. But I have to say that I really think the people who has told me that Costco food is not as good as other brands is because they just don't like the store. I did my research and asked my vet about what food Pippa should be eating the week I got her. So it's great that some Great Pyr owners also feed their dogs the same food as me and have no issues. Yay!

I will be the one eating ice-cream this summer. After a long run, ice-cream tastes amazing

Jewel`s Photos

Ren was fed Kirkland Adult chicken and rice formula by his breeder. I assume that's what she feeds to everyone in her kennel, some of which are active show dogs and others are breeding dogs. Her dogs routinely live into their teens.

I kept Ren on the Kirkland food until he was about 6 months old. Then I switched him over to high protein grain free foods. It's simply personal preference that I use high protein kibbles.