Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default In-becomming jealous (and aggressive ?)

Hi,

First of all, I'm really sorry for my bad grammar as I'm a non-native english speaker. I'll try my best to write this post in the best understandable way. Also, I don't know if I'm in the good part of the forum, as my post is kinda long and off-topic in some part, but I wanted to give all the background. So I thank you a lot for your patience and understanding.

I got my first Great Pyrenees, Maïko, last friday. He's 3 1/2 months old.
    I got him from someone who makes litters, but he's not a breeder. I saw the parents and they're well balanced, protective but not aggressive, alert and vigilent of the environnement, cuddly and delicate when gained their trust, not in overweight, very obedient.
    They had a litter of 8 in October, and 4 had been purchased really fast at 8 weeks. 4 of them stayed there since, Maïko being one of them.

The seller live in the mountains in the region of Ardeche (France) in the woods : he have plenty of space for the parents to run and guard during the day. The puppies were in a large enclosure, where the seller tried to incorporate elements from outside the park like pieces or trees, leaves, brambles and other wood-themed and smelly things... so they can discover a little bit of their environnement without the risk of wandering.
    At night, all of them get inside the garage or the house.

At the beginning, he was the " beta " of the pack, struggling to eat, because the seller give them food in the same big bowl and another puppy bigger than him was always fighting with him. And when 4 of the 8 puppies left, I don't know, maybe he was tired of not eating much as the others (he's skinnier and a bit smaller than the others), or it was the fact that 4 of them left and maybe it was his chance to get confident and take " ascendance " other the 3 that are left, but he started to fight back and became the " alpha " of the pack (by fight I mean grawling a little bit, jumping on each other face and bite the ears : when it happens, it's not really violent, and last like 10 seconds).

When I picked him last Friday, there was 3 puppies left : Maïko wasn't affraid or mistrustful, he didn't rush to the door of the enclosure but came confident, as the other 2. He sniffed my hands, clothes, he turned around me and my girlfriend, and then begin to jump on me, but I immediately remove his paws firmly saying " No ! " : he continued 2 ou 3 more times, then he began to sit in front of me, waiting for me to pet him, sometimes just " paw-ing " me without jumping : I said " No ! " again mutiple times and he began to be gentle.
    The first issue was when the other 2 puppies - the old alpha and another one that was cuddly and calm as hell - came to me, Maïko started to shove them a little bit, especially the old alpha one, and when I gave attention to that one, Maïko started to jump on him, and when it didn't work well, bite his ears (no growling, snapping). It wasn't violent at all, but I laughted as I know it could be a litlle bit problematic for a puppy this size to be " that " jealous.

For the road back to home (4 hours of driving), I let him on the car trunk with a cosy blanket, a toy and a shirt of mine. I did 3 stops to check if he was okay : he did fine, he wasn't ill, he didn't vomit. He was a little afraid but relatively calm.

And then this " disastrous " issue occured, that I think may have traumatised Maïko :

I temporary live with my girlfriend and her parents : she have 2 chihuahuas (3 years old male and female) and her mother have a female yorkshire of I think 1 1/2 years old. They're the living cliché of tiny family dogs : half of the time on their arms, the other half where they want (couch, bed, dog mats that are everywhere and on confy places...), they're very spoiled, as they give them food from the table, they carry them on their lap (thigh ? I don't know what word to use) so they can lick the plates when we're done eating. They are pretty jealous of each other, especially the female chihuahua : they grawl and bark when we touch their bowl when eating or one of them approach the other while eating, they grawl and bark at each other if they accidentaly touch the other while moving, they do know little to no commands except " Come ! Get out ! (getting outside in the garden for peeing or poo-ing)... We have 2 cats (male and female) and 3 kittens (2 males and 1 female) and these 3 devils do the exact thing they do to each other to our 5 cats.

We discussed weeks before adopting Maïko about her 3 dogs, especially the female chihuahua that is a pretty little assh*** when it comes to new pet in the house as she can't stand them, and the male chihuahua that can be mean/vicious when not supervised. She kept telling me that it'll be okay and her dogs do that every time there's a new pet in the house, and after 1 week or 2 it's okay... and I know it's completely my fault for trusting her, I should have ask the seller to have some " trial period " before adopting him. I know it's too late and useless to think about it, but maybe it can be a good advice for some future Great Pyrenees pre-owners.

So we came home, I had Maïko in my arms. I let him in the garden and stayed with him : the 3 devils saw him though the glass door, and started to bark for like 5 minutes straight : we tried to make them quiet, it was not really effective, so we though it'll be a good idea to let them come in the garden to approach Maïko, maybe just establish some close visual contact, some sniffs... That as the worst idea of all the ideas in the history of the worst ideas ever...

They rushed in front of Maïko, the yorkshire was like 20cm in front of him, barking agressively with an attack stance, same as the female chihuahua that was a bit far, the male chihuahua was circling around him barking, attempting to bite him from behind, like an ambush. It happened so fast, I was next to Maïko : they rushed to him, he moved back, his tail betweens the legs, until he was cornered : I stand in front of the 3 devils, close to Maïko and started shouting at them " No ! Back ! " . We made them get back in the house because they weren't even calming a little, and Maïko was afraid at the point that he was shaking : I conforted him, and made him go in the house, following me : I made him wait at the door and tried to show him that I was the head of this pack, shouting and correcting the 3 devils in a proper but firm manner so he can understand that I'm over these three, and I'm the one who have the lead over pets. I also tried to not pamper Maïko too much so he won't become spoiled or begin to think he's the favourite and do whatever he wants.

So, since Friday, I watched over Maïko a lot : he's never alone because of this incident (he's calm and delicate but I never trusted dogs, an accident can occur so fast, and because potty-training reasons too) : every time we're all in the living room around the fireplace - where the chihuahuas stay for obvious reason in winter - they grawl at him and sometimes barks if we don't tell them to calm : Maïko tried multiple times to approach to sniff them (I held him gently by his collar), I even gave each over treats and rubs when seeing each other so they can make the connection between seeing each other and having a treat, but it don't works at all. The 3 devils kept grawling in a defensive stance while Maïko began to take their bad habit : he did this few times, like maybe 10 times since and even trying to run to them, but stopped because he seemed to become curious about them, so recently when he approached them, or the 3 devils came close to him when passing, he didn't grawl nor bark, he just stay in a normal stance, the tail wagging or staying to the left.

The problem is that he sleeps with us in the bedroom on the carpet, while the 2 chihuahuas sleep in the bed with us (as they always have slept in my girlfriend's bed), and when Maïko approach the bed, the 2 chihuahuas starts grawling and barking, and if he's too close and they see that I held him strong and have said him to calm, to sit, they come to the edge of the bed and try to bite him : it happened 4 times, Maïko barked every time and got his front paws on the bed to snip them. Every time, I was there ready to intervene, so it was okay, I corrected (punished ? I really don't know how to say that in english) both the chihuahuas and Maïko, always with a firm but not violent manner, no slap or hit : sometimes I lightly hit them with an empty plastic bottle to frighten them, it's really effective but I don't like that manner and I know that one day it'll not be enough for Maïko, except if I hit him harder every time, but I'm not that kind of monster ahah.

And then this happened this morning : back from the garden, I enter the bedroom with Maïko, the chihuahuas were grawling at him, the female being really angry at him as usual.
    I don't know if it's because like with the old alpha of the pack that kept being mean to him so he started to be really annoyed, or he's becomming be jealous toward the other dogs like he did with the old alpha because my girlfriend (and all the people in the house) pet him a lot but he still doesn't have the right to sleep in the bed with us (to be frank, it'll never happen), but he jumped on the female chihuahua and bite her. That happened in like 2 seconds.

He just had his front legs on the bed, as usual the female chihuahua was close to the edge of the bed, barking and grawling. He bite her in the back, quite firmly because at first I tried too pull him back but he didn't let go, I had to shout " MAÏKO NO ! " and strangle him a little bit in order for him to let the chihuahua go : I know that if I had not strangle him a little bit like that he would have not let go, and I think I would have cause severe injury to the chihuahua if I didn't do that as he could have bite her one more time or strenghten the bite.

I know it was my fault for letting him alone just for 5 seconds without watching him/held him/backing the chihuahuas after entering the bedroom, but I don't understand why he rushed to her like that, he didn't even bark or grawl, he just rushed straight on her.
    She have a bite the size of a green bean that seems to be superficial that doesn't bleed. So the damage isn't that serious, but I'm actually afraid of what can happen in the future, since he's confident enough to do such thing without any kind of warning signs.

I just had a severe argument with my girlfriend telling her that the real problem here is her chihuahuas not being properly socialized, and it's her dogs that started being aggressive and physical with Maïko as the two of them have tried to snip/bite him and sometimes succeeded without proper punishment, and it seems that it start to make Maïko jealous and they show him some really bad habits.

I do all I can to give my Pyrenees a good start in the house, with positive reinforcement, without hitting, shouting, showing him his place in " our pack " in a loving yet "ascending manner", but I start to think that it'll not work as long as these 3 devils won't change : in the beginning Maïko chased the cats and grawled at them but quickly stopped, he now look at them without reaction (even if we pet them), or maybe sometimes he run after them but he's mostly curious.

But this situation begins to be stressful as when Maïko and the 3 devils is in the same room, he's kind of a watch dog because he might have understand now that he's not welcomed, I'm afraid he becomes too alert/vigilent towards them and never accept them : meanwhile, I'm becomming a dog-watcher since I'm constently behind Maïko.

Beside that, he's wonderful with people : he don't jump on people, he sniffs hands and clothes really gently, he licks really softly. As I'm the " mean-daddy " , he takes advantage of the situation when I'm not around watching him or a bit far when he's with my girlfriend or her mother, so he sometimes puts his paws on them, he licks/kiss them a little too much to be able to establish a " plot " for bad manners (begging for food, standing and puting he's paw on the table to see what's those smelly thing in those plates, etc...).
    He's never rough (abrupt ? I don't know what word to use : for example when he's walking/running next to someone, he doesn't push nor make contact, he always goes around or stop if the person is walking as well and he's blocking the way and there's not enough space for him to move).

I took him to a pet shop where I try some harness on him, he didn't bark nor wasn't afraid/suspicious, he was calm when the lady set the harness on him, he even did a little kiss and give his paw when the lady asked him.
    Fun fact is that he doesn't even bark when someone enter the house, or the ringbell sounds, even when the 3 devils are barking like beasts : he just stay where he is when it happens, or came a bit close to me, and wait to see who's comming. This weekend I'll train him for the walk on leash in the garden as he come back easily when called.

He got he's first appointment at the vet tomorrow for his vaccines and the thing for the worms (I don't know the word for that : the wormer ? getting dewormed ?). I'll see how he react about being with other dogs in a medium public space.
    My girlfriend's grandmother have 2 German Shepherds, a 5 years old male (that's a bit rough and childish) and a 8 years old female that is a hug machine. Is it a good idea to go to her home with Maïko so he can discover dogs that are bigger than him (and perhaps learning dominance and being dominated ?) and play with them as soon as possible ?

If someone have/had the same problem with their Puppyrenees (okay that's a weak attempt of humor...), or know great methods about that, I'll gladly take that advice. I've got plenty of time to work on that (even if I know that a big part of the problem is about the chihuahuas) and I'll do anything to give Maïko a healthy et loving environnement.
    I'm browsing the forum but nothing too similar happened to people, or maybe I didn't search enough and then I'm sorry.

Thank you very much for reading, and sorry again for my poor english.
    Last edited by Navkyl; 02-07-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Wrong order

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

No need to apologize for grammar! Your English is way better than my French (I learned German in school).

The first thing to understand about Maiko is that, while he may already be the largest dog in the house, he is still just a teeny tiny baby puppy. For the first few years, every month of puppy age is the rough developmental equivalent of a year in human age. If Maiko were a human, he would almost definitely stillbe in diapers. He doesn’t see the devil dogs as dinky little ankle-biters, he sees them as angry adult dogs. He didn’t grab the chihuahua out of a quest for dominance, or because he’s jealous or mean. He grabbed the chihuahua because he was defending himself. In just those few interactions, the devil dogs have taught him that this is how the world works at your house.

This is not a dominance issue. Dominance did not cause it, and dominance will not treat it. The whole idea of Alpha dogs and Beta dogs and Omega dogs is not only outdated, but also based on bad science. Dominance theory arose from a WWII study of captive wolves. In a nutshell, the researchers noted that the wolves fought a good bit of the time, and assumed that the wolves were fighting for status. They weren’t. They were fighting because the wolves in question were taken from different packs. These animals never would have been able to cohabit peacefully in the wild - think reality tv show, here. Also, the wolves were housed in an enclosure far smaller than a wolf pack’s natural territory. Decades later, when researchers were able to study wild wolves in their natural habitat for the first time, they realized that wolves were far more peaceful in their natural habitat than they had been in the small enclosure. The captive wolves hadn’t been fighting for status - they were fighting for resources.

That doesn’t mean that dogs don’t need good leadership - they absolutely do. However, leadership and domination are two different concepts. Current behavioral Science has found that the leaders in wild candid groups is the one that controls access to the resources. This is how humans establish themselves as leaders, too. We control the resources, and if the dogs would like their share, they have to work for it. This concept is known as Nothing In Life Is Free, or NILIF for short, as well as Say Please, or Earn to Learn, depending on whom you ask.

So, if current behavioral Science has debunked Dominance Theory, why do so many dog trainers continue to cling to it? For some dogs, techniques based in Dominance Theory can produce very quick, almost miraculous results. This often comes at the expense of the dog’s long-term progress and emotional stability. The Alpha Roll, which some trainers say is an effective way to show the dog who’s boss, is the equivalent of a death threat in the dog world. It can lead to serious behavioral issues.

Also, Pyrs don’t subscribe to Dominance Theory at all. They have been bred for thousands of years to think for themselves and make their own decisions based on what they feel will keep everybody safe. They don’t work in packs, they work in partnerships - and partner status with a Pyr is something that we humans have to earn by showing that we can be calm, consistent, and make good decisions.

Earning Maiko’s trust is going to start by teaching him that you can and will protect him from the devil dogs. Aggression breeds aggression, and if I can be blunt, people who allow their little dogs to act like diabolical vicious monsters because they think it’s harmless or cute are a pet peeve of mine. My pit bull mix is deathly afraid of little dogs, and probably for good reason. If the devil dogs can’t be nice to Maiko, then they need to be kept away from him until they can behave. I would also start all four dogs on NILIF. If dogs want food, treats, petting, access to outside, up on the bed, they have to earn it by sitting. I would also say that if Maiko can’t sleep on the bed, the devil dogs shouldn’t either.

You are also going to have to teach Maiko that not all dogs are like the devil dogs. I would only introduce him to the grandparents’ German Shepherds if you know with absolute certainty that they will behave themselves, and not act aggressively toward him. He needs to see that meeting new dogs means fun, happy, time. Otherwise, you could end up with issues down the road.

There are two books that I would recommend that you read. Please forgive me, for I have no idea if either of them have been translated into French, yet, or not. The first book is “The Other End of the Leash”, by Patricia McConnell. The second book is “How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves”, by Dr. Sophia Yin. I think both books will help you get a better understanding of what is going on at your house, and how to go about helping your dogs.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Navkyl & Maiko....

this is a very difficult situation...the 3 chihuahuas need to be taught manners, and it doesn't sound like that is ever going to happen.

as SebastiansMom said, you must work on getting Maiko's trust...which in the current living conditions is going to be difficult. First of all he comes into a new home, taken away from his family, so he's already unsure & insecure, you are trying to teach him how to have manners, but the current dogs don't have any...so that must be very confusing for him.

Honestly, as I see it, Maiko was doing what he thought was the correct thing to do to control this little devil dog by doing the exact thing his mother might have done to him if he misbehaved...and that is give her a nip to say "stop, I don't like this behavior"
    Usually a Pyrenees will only use as much force to get their message across to the person or animal that is being annoying. Maiko doesn't know his own strength yet, so a harder bite doesn't surprise me

The recommended books are a good place to start, ask your vet also if they have any recommendations for you on how to control this living situation.

And by the way...the first thing most Pyrenees learn is the "Pyr paw"...they are masters of it...and use it constantly...as they mature they tend to be more gentle about it.

Keep working with Maiko, teach him how to be a well mannered boy...after all, you are a team...

Jewel`s Photos

You need to separate those little ones from him if they are going to keep aggressing at him. It can definitely teach your puppy to be aggressive to other dogs. You puppy needs socialization with many other dogs once he's got his second set of vaccinations but those dogs you introduce him to need to be nice dogs. Otherwise he will learn the wrong things.

Try put them all on leash and walk them outside. Those little devils are less likely going to be as nasty when outside of the comforts of their home. Walking together can be a way to introduce them to get along.

Hi,
    Thank you all for your answers, it's really heart-warming to see some comprehensive and helping people like you

As planned, he got his vaccines Thursday and he was wonderful at the vet. He's still not afraid of people, he had no apprehension at all, he was really calm even when we were in the waiting room with other dogs : there was a Beagle, a Labrador, a Belgian Malinois and two Staff puppies. I didn't even say him to sit or down at my feet when I sat, as I was surprised as he did it instinctively like at home (I though it was okay to not overload his mind with a " sit " so I congratulated him for making it by himself, I hope that this kind of thinking is the right way), looked curiously at the dogs after 20 seconds before walking calmly and surely to them to make some sniffs after the owners said it was okay for him to approach. As he made contact with them, he became really happy and his tail did not stop to wag. I think he really enjoyed this experience.
    We took the female chihuahua he bited with us : he didn't even mind her.

Before checking the answers on the forum, I was thinking about all that happened since last Friday : it was sure I was doing something wrong and I didn't see all that happened as it should be interpreted.

To answer about the " dominance " topic, I admit that I fall into this alpha-beta-omega theory too quickly, obviously because of my ignorance of the breed (I admit - Like a majority of people, I read articles on popular websites instead of forums like this one). I had a golden retriever before Maïko and I remember that we had a really strong bond that worked really well, not because I tried all day to show him that I was over him " on the hierarchy " by overloading him with commands that are quite useless, not appropriate... but because I treated him as my best buddy, my teammate : for sure I was over him, but as a leader of the great team we made.
    So as you adviced me, I worked a lot on how to gain his trust with a better way : it's obvious that he trust me a lot since he's with me as he follows me everywhere, he's very attentive when learning commands/tricks, I litteraly don't have anything negative to say to him during the day... but now I'm convinced that we took a further step by considering him as my buddy, like I always did with my dogs.

And I reinforced this trust with taking radical action about the 3 dogs, to answer about the devil-dogs topic : since it's too dangerous to let the 2 chihuahuas sleep on the ground in the bedroom, I don't allow them in the bedroom anymore : if they can't behave, they can sleep wherever they want, but not here anymore and surely not in our bed.
    Since that decision, Maïko stopped jumping on the bed and didn't have this stressed/alert behavior anymore.

When we are in the living room, if one of those brats start growling or barking I immediately correct them, now without holding Maïko by his collar/harness, and make them change room : like in the bedroom, if they can't behave in the living room - and all other room, including the car - we make them leave : the well mannered babyrenees (okay it's the last one I promess !) does not have to leave or be hold while he behave well.
    We have an open ground floor (large open kitchen/dining room/living room) with an office at the start from where we can see all of the previously mentioned rooms : so when the 3 dogs can't behave in the kitchen/dining room where there's the fireplace, we take them in this office and place a barrier so they can still see us while being isolated or take them to the opposite side of the ground floor in the living room, where they do not like to stay. Like in the bedroom, Maïko seemed immediately relieved as he does not need to stay alert like before, as I was there to correct them immediately, making them quiet and leave.

When the 3 dogs is in the same room with Maïko, or they're passing next to him and doesn't growl, bark or have a suspicious/aggressive stance, Maïko just look at them calmly without any reaction, he sometimes doesn't even care and don't look at them. I guess it's life-changing for him, and for me !

I established the same thing about the meal-time : they can't behave when they all eat at the same time as they all try to steal Maïko's food, so Maïko eats first while the other watch him eat from the office. He gets outside in the garden alone too (Thursday, my step-dad didn't see that Maïko was in the garden and let the 3 dogs outside : he started to growl as they encircled him, I ran as fast as I can to avoid the worst, shouting at the 3 dogs. Maïko seemed really happy that I came fast to get him out of this ambush and stood strong and proud next to me, and immediately stopped all " aggressivity " in his behavior. I now really see that that's not jealousy, aggressivity or whatever I thought it was as you explained me really well with great context what it really means).

I read some articles/guides about the NILIF method, and I have to say that it made him a little more obedient and receptive (although he was already really obedient and receptive). When I give him a treat, I make him sit, when he asks for rubs and hugs I make him sit or down (make him get that sweet pet-me-position ahah), when he wants scratches on the head when we are in bed, if he already have his head on the bed, I make him remove it from the bed, sit, and get his head back on the bed for his scratches... He's not stubborn at all and learns very quickly : now he almost do all of this without me saying anything.

I didn't know about this " Pyr Paw " thing, but now I understand why he does that a lot, but still, he's pretty gentle when doing it (a little less when playing, but it's kinda light and never on the face, head or upper-body... so Iit's okay I guess ?).

About the German Shepherd, I sincerely think that it will be okay : he got his second set of vaccinations in 3 weeks so we'll see if I was right.
    I started to walk him on a leash/harness in my street : he doesn't pull at all, he's not afraid of cars (he's pretty curious about them) or trucks, he's attentive when I talk to him, he look at people without being too suspicious...

I admit that your advice about walking them all on a leash is really great Jewel, but it's kinda cold where I leave so I think the chihuahuas - spoiled as hell... - won't like walking in the rain/snow even if it's for 15 minutes ahah.

So I think I found a good balance in this situation since the main and only issue here is those 3 pesky dogs. I even talked and made another point again with my girlfriend and her mother about the fact that those 3 dogs need to be taught manners, that what happened is kinda normal (the vet told me exactly what you guys told me, and he even laughted since he know how rude are those two chihuahuas, and of course like I said to them, the bite was superficial and benign), and that I'm doing all I can and all the right things to make Maïko the best puppy possible : it's their turn to make sure they are well informed owners and begin to tame those tiny beasts.

To answer SebastiansMom about the two books, it's okay if it's not translated into French : I read english and understand it well but I'm not that great at writing it (" yeah, we saw that... " ahah). I'll read them as soon as possible.

Once again, I thank you all for your kind help and those really clear advices. It's really appreciated !

Have a very nice day !
    Last edited by Navkyl; 02-10-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Doing my best about my poor grammar !

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Keep up the good work team Maiko & Navkyl!!!

and please keep us informed from time to time on how you are progressing in your relationship....

Nice that your girlfriend & her mother will try to control the "devil dogs"...it will make it so much better for all of you

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Navkyl, it sounds like you have a great plan in place! Please keep us posted on your progress with Maiko!

I hope I didn’t offend you about my comment about not knowing whether or not the books were translated. I lived in Germany for a year in high school, and I found that sometimes, living in a non-native language was exhausting. Believe me, your English is far better than my German will ever be! Your written English is better than that of some native speakers I know!

Sending good energy that Maiko and the devil dogs can learn to get along!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your support, it's really appreciated !

I didn't want to spam this thread everyday by writing what happened during each day, but it is going pretty well since the last post and the changes that've been made.

I wouldn't say that the cohabitation between my fluffy boy and those tiny wild beasts is perfect, but since I took the situation in charge, they tolerate Maïko on different levels :
    - The female chihuahua (The Chosen One as I like to call her since he bit her) don't bark or growl. It's obvious that she's afraid of him(she's not feared like trembling as a leaf nor scared/traumatized), but there's no more aggressivity in her behavior when Maïko is there. She avoids him as much as possible when she feels that people may leave the room and follows them.

- The male chihuahua became strangely jealous of our 2 kittens, since he still don't trust Maïko but he can't do anything if we're petting him, so he do his vicious stabs at the kittens. They " sniffle " each other but it's pretty rare. He doesn't mind Maïko too much if he's there, but he'll keep on eye on him for every move he'll do.

- The female yorkshire is just a pain in the ass that goes deep into the brain. When Maïko is approaching her too closely, she shows her teeth and if he continues to approach, she barks. When he's passing next to her, or I'm carrying him, she tries to bite his back legs.

Everyday, I try to make them stay together near the fireplace as usual and make Maïko stay there too (not too close I know, they're not warm-lovers ) so they can stare at each other and perhaps get the intelligence to realize that " Hey, he's pretty big but he's kinda cool " , but no. The yorkshire just ruin it everytime she saw that I'm about to leave them " alone " (I just sit 2 meters away).

So I just take her to another room and leave the 2 chihuahuas with Maïko, and it's working pretty well : I make them stay really close to each other (like 20cm), I give them treats if they all " down " or sniffs each other without showing teeth or growling, I change room and make Maïko come to me, then the female and the male... it will take as much time as needed, but they have to live together, as those 2 chihuahuas are pretty much my boys too since I'm in a relationship with their mommy ahah.

But I can't do much about the yorkshire, as my step-mother is pretty " two-sided " with her dog : it's either " Oh, come here my baby " and she carry her in her arms, she gives her food from her plate... or it's " COME HERE ! OOOH, YOU'RE REALLY PISSING ME OFF, COME HEEERE " and it's like she's about to stomp that poor yorkshire... so she just keep her dog with her most of the time : no yorkshire in sight, no endangered Maïko (when she's standing right in front of him while barking aggressively, he backs off most of the time, a bit afraid. They're all surprised when seeing it and even laugh at this "ridiculous situation " where the tiny dog won against the giant one. I don't know what's amusing about an aggressive, jealous and uneducated dog threateningly barking at a puppy... It's all fun until I say " One day he'll crush them without even realizing because he'll run straight into them loudmouths and the impact of 130lbs on 8lbs will be catastrophic "

My step-mother and my girlfriend are those kind of people saying " I know those 3 are not educated at all, but... we can't help, they're too cute. Also, they're mommy-dogs too, they are pretty mean to be in arms and spoiled... but yes, we'll make efforts " but continue to do all the forbidden things. How can you possibly work on a good balance to make all the animals in the house live in harmony ? But it's sure that while the 2 chihuahuas seems to change a bit, this york won't change. Period.
    I can't even understand what's bad about teaching your dogs manners, even if it's some Paris Hilton kind of dogs.
    As I interpret it, you give commands and socialize your dog well, not for the pleasure of being obeyed (and giving commands =/= being mean), but because you and your dog litteraly needs teaching " to live in peace " with all the things that are around us everyday... like we do with kids by teaching them to behave like this or that, by wanting them to have friends, by providing them all kinds of toys when they're baby to stimulate and make them discover a lot of things as soon as possible, etc...

Maïko is just adorable and calm as usual. It's like he forgot that day 1 when they all tried to murder him, and that day he bit the female chihuahua. He sometimes wants to play with them, he even chase them just to be close to them (he seems to not search contact, he's just curious and amused). He seems relieved and confident as day passes but still doesn't trust the yorkshire.
    All (minus one that is a lil' coward) the cats now approach him closely, sometimes Maïko chase them, sometimes he just look at them with his tail wagging like he won the lottery. Like with the dogs, he's really curious and wants to play : I think the day they will all play together is not that far.

Also, Maïko became vocal (protector ?) : if there's people passing near our house in the street talking too loud or making strange noises, if he hears the other dogs in the neighborhood bark, if he hears that someone opened the front door (outer door ?), he rushes to the garden or the glass doors to see what's happening and barks several times until he sees that there's no danger (so he maybe barks 4 or 5 times before realizing that it's okay). I tried to teach him to go where there's unusual but normal noises and see what's happening by saying " Who's there ? " and " Go see ! " but it doesn't work well as he prefers to stay close to me, but for me he's already doing a very good job just by reacting and barking when those other situations occur.

He now sit without being told when he ask for scratches on the head when we're in the bed, when he's getting a treat, when he's getting his food-bowl, when he's about to go outside in the garden... Other than those situations, I don't tell him to sit if it isn't needed.
    I taught him to go on his dog-mat by saying " go to bed " and taping on it with my hand (pat ?). I think next step is " down " without touching him. But he learns pretty quickly and he's not stubborn at all : like him, I remain calm and patient and if it's not working and it's been a pretty long time since we're there learning commands (like after 10 minutes, more or less) I just stop and play with him outside chasing him, play fetch (more like " Okay Maïko I'll retrieve it myself " 1/3 of the time ahah) or some " wrestling " (more like paw-ing, cuddles and kisses).

Oh and he's still clean as well : still no pee or poo in the house, when he wants to go outside for it, he just sit in front of the door and looks at me (if I don't see him, he comes to me, sniffs me, then proceeds to make sure that I'm following him by turning his head back mutiple times while walking to the door, it's hilarious). I just showed him 1 time when he arrived in our house and it was already okay (the fact that there are the other dogs's odors in the garden may have helped a lot)

I didn't have the time to go to the grandmother's house for the Pyrenees-German Meeting, but I'll try to go there maybe this weekend if it's not raining.

@ SebastiansMom : Oh no no, I wasn't offended at all, on the contrary I was thinking that it was really kind of you to inform me that it may have not been translated in French, as I perfectly understood you were making sure I will be able to read them (and perhaps other recommanded books in the future).
    I read my first answer about that, and I admit that I may have been a bit " rude " ? or a bit cold/a formal tone ? But I want to make sure too that there's no problem about it and I want to thank you again for those recommandations

So there it is. I have a lot of work to do with the 2 chihuahuas, while providing my fluffyrenees (I just can't stop with those silly words sorry ahah...) a good environnement and a lot of love.

And again, I want to thank you all for your support, it makes me so happy to see some kind people like you, it's really appreciated !

Hope you're doing great,
    Boops and belly-rubs for your dogs,

Have a nice day !
    Last edited by Navkyl; 02-13-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: As usual, grammar !