Current Great Pyrenees Owner

WW Farm`s Photos

Default Playing in the Water Troughs

I am a fairly new owner with two pups--4 month old female and five month old male. I also have a 20 month old male that has been loaned to me that I plan on purchasing as well.

We raise goats and the dogs are adjusting quite well to the herd. They are from working stock and were born and raised among goats, horses, cattle and chickens.

I posted earlier in the forum because of a behavioral issue with the then four month old male, Samuel. He was, and still is, trying to emulate our herding dog. I do try to put him up when we call the goats in, but I do not know if separating him from the herd is the best thing. We are working on this and he does not nip at the goats and it seems they gradually are determining that he is "playing" and are starting to ignore him.

That said, now I am having issues with him and water! Are Great Pyrenees water loving dogs? I cannot keep this pup out of my troughs or water buckets. We are having to dump water and clean muddy troughs everyday now. The female does not seem as interested but he seems to coax her into whatever trouble he is getting into. I really need to nip this water problem in the bud. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (4).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	9497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (5).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	9498  
    Last edited by WW Farm; 02-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I don't know about other pyr, but my dog loves water. LOVES it.
    I have to be very careful if I have her off the leash and there is a river near by because she will jump in the water.
    I was taking a bath a couple of weeks ago - I never take baths - and she was so intrigued that she jump into the tub. Mess.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Are you still keeping the two young puppies away separated from the goats when they canít be supervised? Thatís where I would start, especially if Samuel is still chasing the goats around. A lot of people house young LGDs-in-training where they can see and smell the livestock, but not have direct unsupervised access. This way, the pups are given the opportunity to bond with the livestock without accidentally hurting them with their puppy antics.

I would also consider giving Samuel his own designated trough/kiddie pool/stock tank to splash in. If you catch him trying to get into one of the goatsí troughs, calmly lead him back to his own splash pool and praise or treat. Your breeder might have more pointers for you, as well.

Some dogs love to play in water, some donít. Sebastian likes to play in the water, but really loved it when he was a puppy and adolescent. I ended up buying him a waterproof collar. Now, he will spend a few minutes in his kiddie pool on hot Summer days, but his favorite part of that is coming back inside after a splash, and heading immediately for the couch!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Your pups are just so cute! They've grown since the first post pics for sure! My Zech is only 8 months but he LOVES WATER
    at about 10 weeks he started to scoop water with both front paws at the same time out of every water bowl we had... I Live in a city no trough here but it took him a few months to out grow it and learn it wasn't his, we calmly use the phrases "leave it" and "not yours" a lot through his puppyhood LOL but he will get it!
    We plan on getting him a kiddie pool for the summer like Sebastian's Mom suggested.

It may seem while something is fresh and strong and new for them - and you - it seems like a huge thing but if you work on it and teach them what you do want, they'll get it! and then in a few weeks you won't even think of it anymore... because you'll be too busy with the whole bunch more, they are testing out, for you to teach them where the boundaries are... physical and personal... Spend the time, take the patience to build the trust and respect, and you'll have 3 pups that make your word! Cheers

WW Farm`s Photos

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

I will invest in a kiddie pool, although it is still winter here and will be hard to find!

I had been keeping him and the female pup separated from the herd until a week ago. I then put them in a pen with three of my pet goats who are very friendly and very tolerable of dogs (a couple think they are dogs!) They did great. Sunday was the first day I left them out with the adult GP, Tank, for several hours when I was gone. They did just fine except for Samuel and the water! We had our very first kid of the year born Sunday morning and Samuel seems to think he needs to watch over it! When he is out he lies up against the pen I put the baby and her mom in. I have let Samuel sniff and lick the baby and he has been extremely gentle. Tank has also been guarding the pen and I think Samuel is learning so much from his behavior. That is one reason I decided to go ahead and let Samuel fully interact with the goats so he can learn from the older dog.

WW Farm`s Photos

Thanks Zech's mom! I will work a little harder with him to teach him the troughs are not a play pool. My patience tends to wear thin the third time in a day I have to dump a 50 gallon trough and scrub and fill it again! Gotta love him though...