Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default What to do with Kit in heat

Kit just had her period and I have a trip to Los Angeles this weekend where I absolutely cannot cancel. Iím having ovarian surgery done in LA and it has been in the schedule for months. Iíve do not have any experience with dogs in heat. We donít want to spay her until she is two years old or when she is done growing. We have her boarded at our dog sitterís home for about 10 days. I donít know what to say because I have no experience other than please donít have any dogs mount her. She needs to stay away from all unfixed males. My other dogs are all fixed so I think that shouldnít be an issue. The sitter does take care of smaller breeds but I figure you canít mate a ****er spaniel to a 85 lb dog. Is there anything I should be prepared for? Iím a bit concerned right now.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Oh, dear. Kit really did not pick a good time to go into season.

If Kit were my kiddo, I would send the other three to the dog sitter, and see if a friend/relative/other trusted person could stay at your house with Kit. Kit needs to be kept away from all males - big boys, little boys, neutered boys, intact boys - all of them. A determined little dog with the appropriate parts can do the deed as effectively as a big boy can - just look up weird breed mixes. Neutered males can also tie - and hurt themselves in the process.

Boys will also fight for breeding rights in the presence of a female in season.

Failing having someone come to your house, I would talk to your vet to see if they can board her there, or know of someone who can board her in her state of special needs.

Sending you so much love and good energy.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    The sitter does take care of smaller breeds but I figure you canít mate a ****er spaniel to a 85 lb dog. Is there anything I should be prepared for? Iím a bit concerned right now.
    Kit is huge! Ren isn't 85 lbs at 16 months.

Do you know if the sitter will have intact males around when Kit's there? I would b kind of worried if she'll have intact males around. Does she have a yard, if so, how securely is it fenced? What about inside, does she have means to keep dogs securely separated?

snow0160`s Photos

Kit's timing is impeccable!! I joked about this happening a few months back and my husband was like you worry too much. Ahh Men!!

I'm not certain of Kit's weight actually. The last time we checked she was in her 65lbs but she has gotten massive since then. I'm guessing she is high 70s but potentially 80s.

Sitter's yard is double fenced. She has a wooden fence and then chain link fence underneath that. It is very secure I made sure to check. What is so wonderful about this sitter is that she lives 1 block from a empty dog park. This dog park typically has no visiters and we go train there from time to time.

The sitter also has regular dogs but they are all small breeds like bichon, spaniel, dachshund mix, and they are all 10+ years. I am not sure if they are all going to be there at the same time because we have a four dogs boarded with her. I didn't think to see if they were fixed but I dont' think they can reach Kit. I mean unless she was to bend over on the floor? Again not a lot of experience with doggy mating positions. LOL if you can hear my laughter, you'll know it is nervous laughter. The sitter does have doggy dividers and multiple bedrooms. Her home is a small cute cottage with maybe 2-3 beds? I have only toured the main area. The only dog that I think could get potentially tied with Kit is Lucky, who is 50lbs.

I have a bunch of work in the coming days so I need to get this sorted asap. Kit's blood is like deep brown so I thought she pooped the sofa. Then I looked at her vulva and it is swollen and has a bunch of brown discharge. I was thinking of buying a doggy diaper but my husband says her pantaloons catches all the discharge. We even shaved her in the vulva area so she stays clean.

snow0160`s Photos

You know I should probably be honest about Kit's condition but I am freaking out right now because I don't have back up plans for Kit. My parents are traveling abroad which is why I have one of their dogs and my friends currently are not in the position to help take care of Kit. Some of them have allergies and others aren't dog people esp LGD dog people. If I board Kit at the vet, I wonder if she is going to get wierd in the head after being crated for 10 days. She is going to have so much psychological problems from that. I am worried that telling the sitter is going to force us to board Kit at the vet. I can't cancel my trip espeically since I am leaving this weekend. I have so much work I need to get done before this trip because I might be out of comission post surgery. I thought I had the dog situation squared away and was feeling pretty good until this eveing. Uhhh!! Don't know what to do. What should I say to the sitter so she says yes to Kit. Or is that even safe? I've noticed Kit is more energtic than usual. The sitter is rather a small person although she have family she lives with.

I know a lady who left her GSD bitch in an enclosed outdoor kennel in a fenced-in yard when she was in season. A determined boy found a way to get over the fence and into the kennel, then back out again without being detected. If a little dog can jump up on a bed, he can tie with Kit. If he is intact, he can get her pregnant.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    I didn't think to see if they were fixed but I dont' think they can reach Kit. I mean unless she was to bend over on the floor?
    Ummmmm, don't underestimate a determined hormone driven pair...

The discharge usually lightens up when the bitch is ready to breed. When the discharge is still dark, the bitch is usually not yet ready to be bred.

snow0160`s Photos

OMG really? Ahh crap. I'm going to have to talk to the sitter.
    Do you think she is going to have issues being in a kennel at the vet for 10 days?

edit: I think the setup at the vet is basically being crated 24-7 with 5 walks a day. That is so sad. I don't want Kit to develop behavioral issues .

Jewel`s Photos

I'd ask the sitter and see if she'll take Kit anyway. If she's willing, then ask if there'll be intact males around. If so, Kit must be separated at.all.times. from the intact males. She cannot go outside in the yard unsupervised.

Personally, I would rather have a twelve month old puppy with a bit of extra pent-up energy than one with a litter of puppies. Truthfully, a lot of bitches spend the majority of their time in season kenneled. If they are a little crazy at the end of it, they return to normal. Dogs are resilient.

Does Paul have to be with you The whole time youíre gone? Is there any way he can change his flight to go later than you or come back a few days early? I donít mean to pry, Iím just asking as a means to problem-solving. I know itís not ideal to be either pre-op or post-op without someone there.

My only other thought would be if you could find someone you know through training to take her while you are gone - preferably a breeder or someone else who has experience dealing with bitches in season.

I am so sorry. Traveling and surgery are both stressful enough without having a dog in heat.