Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Ahh just came completely clean to the sitter. I told her about my desperate situation and fingers crossed! If this doesn't work we can board her at our neighborhood vet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sending you lots of love and good energy!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you so much! You guys are the greatest!

snow0160`s Photos

I am so relieved!! Heard back from the sitter and she is able to take care of her. She has past experience with dogs in heat which is just fantastic.

Jewel`s Photos

That is good news indeed!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

That is fantastic news! Hopefully, this will take some of the stress out of what would have been an already stressful time!

The boys and I hope you have safe travels, and that your surgery is a success!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Default More Questions

Hey guys! I was wondering if Kit's behavior in heat is normal. She does the following:

Her blood is now running bright red, which I believe is that period when she is ready to mate. Her energy is definitely up. She is super barky! She barks at every person with a dog and sometimes people without dogs. Then she tries to jump on people to get petted. If a dog comes close to her, she literally looks like she is struggling to get free and will run around like a clown while being leashed. Yep she drags my husband around like he has lost control. This morning, I was sitting in bed with my cat on my chest and she jumped on top of him. She is even more into cuddles and snuggles. She enjoys getting close, really close. For example, it wasn't enough to be at the foot of the bed . Her head is literally next to mine and she tried to lick my face. Kit is usually not a licker. In fact, all of these behavior is odd because she has come really far in not lunging at people or dogs. Please tell me this is normal dog in heat behavior.

I am worried that spaying her at 2 years would encourage this kind of bad behavior to continue. I've read that dogs her size comes into heat only once a year so maybe I can just wait until next December when she is two years to spay her. Do you guys think this is a good idea so it doesn't interfere with her development?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Ya know Apollo and his littermates were an oops. My then neighbor had them as working dogs and he and his wife had something to do. The female was being kept indoors to keep her safe, well don't you know those 2 dogs clawed and chewed their way through the door and the deed was done. Both parents were young, and temperament was an unknown at that point. Now we know they never should have been bred, The sire is very aggressive and The Bitch is wary of people and neither is suited for a house dog situation.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

All my females that went through a heat acted different from their normal selves but not the same during their heat so it is hard to compare. My Ru is a pretty independent girl and she became incredibly clingy, not wanting me out of her sight and practically glued to my side. She had a very bad false pregnancy after her first heat so we decided to go ahead and spay her rather than wait for her to turn two. With Rona the adoption papers say she is to be spayed at 7 months but I requested an extension and was granted it since we've safely taken multiple dogs through heat with no accidents.