Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

Default Help

I will say first I am sorry if i ramble. I have had a horrible few weeks and last night things took a sudden and drastic turn for the worse. I have broken my right ankle that required surgery. I can't walk, drive or do most things. I need to have help with many things right now and unfortunately my husband decided to stop taking Meds for his mental illness. He is currently in jail, so for now I am safe from him. He was booked for domestic violence, interfering with a 911 call, and vandalism. So far he is being held, but that won't last long and I will not be safe once he is out. My parents, who are 70 are trying to work out how to get me, a few of my belongings and my car from NE Tennessee, to Florida. This is a 12 hour drive each way.

My issue is Apollo, he is aggressive, and not safe around children. I will be moving in with my daughter who has a 6 year old a 2 year old and a 9 month old baby and its not safe to have him there. I have no one to take him and if i take him to a shelter it is a death warrant for him. I am dying inside knowing I have to give my baby up, and possibly know he has died, because of this situation. I will never forgive my soon to be exhusband for this. He spent 2 days calling me vile horrible names, he broke phones so I couldn't call 911 and i had to hide my laptop so that i had some form of communication. I was only able to call for help because I found an old cell phone, that I was able to call with. Most of my fingernails have been bent backwards, he tried his best to dump me out of my wheel chair and I banged my broken leg pretty well in all this. I am going to my doctor tomorrow to have xrays done to see if we did any damage.

I have reached out to Big Fluffy Dogs Rescue and am awaiting a response. If anyone has any further idea's please share them with me, I just can't think right now.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Omg I am so sorry! You aren't rambling at all. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I don't have advice about your husband and am happy to hear that your family are able to help. You can try to fly frontier airlines if you dread the drive to FL. Frontier is very inexpensive and tickets can be as low as $25. You can also do many checked bags at $25 per bag. I've done the drive from FL to Knoxville and it is a long drive indeed.

Many years ago, I had gone to FL Pyrenees rescue in Zephyrhills FL. The woman running the rescue is named Terry Sandlak (727-686-4186 or tsandlak@floridapyrs.org). Here is the website: http://www.floridapyrs.org/

I know for a fact they've taken many pyrs from all across the south-east. I am sure she is able to help you. Please email her and let her know about your situation. We rescued our previous dog Sahara from Tampa, FL and she was aggressive and was also given up because she wasn't safe around kids. Please know that your dog can have a great life.

Jewel`s Photos

I am so sorry for your situation Christi. Perhaps FL rescue is an option like snow suggested. I'm sorry I do not have contacts in that area. I am hoping others might know someone in the area.

Christi`s Photos

The problem with taking him to Fl is the aggression, things could go very wrong in the van with him and my parents. I have to do this here before I leave for everyone's safety. I have a call into my Vet now to see if we can do something locally. Most rescue won't take an aggressive dog. BFDR can't. And I understand why, but it just really sucks. Still working on solutions. Snow thanks for that info, am going to give her a call and see if she can help. Meanwhile I have another person that is working to help as well, crossing my fingers on this one.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Christi, I'm afraid I have nothing I can offer for a suggestion for Apollo, just want you to know how deeply sorry I am that you are going through this. My heart aches for you having to go through this and be parted from Apollo. You have my love and prayers.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Christi....please know that this Pyr community is with you, sending prayers, healing & positive thoughts as well as strength...

I'm sure that there will be a solution for Apollo...and a safe place for the both of you

please keep us informed as you are able...you will be in my thoughts & in my heart...

Christi`s Photos

Thank you everyone, I am not sure what is going to happen, I am currently in a safe house because a judge decided that releasing him was a good idea. My Uncle is home with the dogs now, and for now everyone is ok. Tommy is mentally ill, and he needs help and I reached out to his old case manager to go to court with us on Wednesday and get him into treatment. If he will agree to go I will be able to return home and be safe. Once he is back on his meds and stabilized he will be rational and I won't have to be so guarded.

This doesn't mean he is going to be living with me again, but when he is medicated he is not dangerous and I won't have to worry about being safe. I am going to take a few days to consider my options and come up with a plan that doesn't include the death of my baby.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The boys and I are sending so much love and good energy to you!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Big Hugs, stay safe, and we are pulling for you that things will be better.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am sending you positive thoughts.