Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barking

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

It is a good point, I am getting separation anxiety confused with attention barking. Kit is an attention barker and does not bark when she is left unattended. Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is separation anxiety or attention barking espeically if you crate your dog. For example, if Kit does not get any chews in the crate, she will bark nonstop if I am not in the same room. This looks a lot like separation anxiety but if I leave her in the bedroom by herself, she would not bark even if I am not there. This is how I know Kit doesn't have separation anxiety.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Until youíve been through it, and I hope you never do, true SA can be very easy to misunderstand or mistake for other issues. There are professionals who really donít understand SA well.

When Sebastian was a puppy, there was a time when I was concerned that he might have SA. He freaked out when I would leave him home alone. However, for him, I eventually learned that confinement was the issue. He didnít care if I left him home alone so long as I didnít put him in his crate or close him in the bathroom. That was the issue that brought me to the forum.

With Kit, working on building a strong association between her crate and awesome stuff might help alleviate the attention barking she does when she is in there. Strengthening Chesterís association between his crate and everything that he loves was part of his SA treatment. He was already getting meals and long lasting treats in his crate. We started having structured bone-chewing time in his crate most nights. I started out sitting on the floor next to his crate, and over the course of a few months, moved farther and farther away from his crate until I was able to leave the room without him flinching. Our Behaviorist also had me start giving Chester all of his treats in his crate. When he knows it it time for a treat, he runs to his crate and waits patiently. Itís really cute to watch him do it now.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Ren's SA was pretty easy to spot. Left alone in the house - he'd scream bloody murder for hours on end... worse if crated. We would come back and find his chest wet with drool and stress panting and then he'd be hyper glued to me until he settled down.

Bijou on the other hand, would scream bloody murder if we crated her while we were home. She just didn't agree with being crated if we were home. If we crated her and left the house she'd fuss for a couple of minutes and once she figured out we were gone, she'd stop wasting her energy screaming. She definitely did not have SA. She was just a brat.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Kit is like Bijou and Sebastian. She does not like being confined. She does not bark in her crate when we are at home because she knows we will let her out. Usually we feed her in the crate and will also give her a yummy chew treat so it keeps her occupied. The moment we leave, she goes psychotic. We can hear her half way down the block. Typically we donít crate her when we are gone for our neighbors sake.

Young Dawg (Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Do you know if he's barking and screaming the whole time while you're out? If so, then he probably has separation anxiety. If he's fine in his crate, then it is unlikely he has SA. A puppy who does attention barking doesn't mean it has or is going to develop SA. As SebastiansMom said, SA is a irrational condition and you can't mistaken it when a dog has it. My Ren has SA.

Ren for the most part does not bark to get attention. But when he was much younger (Ren's is 16 months now), he used to bark at me when I prepared his meals, like I just couldn't prepare it fast enough for him. And it was that very annoying high pitched bark snow described. But that went away on its own.

Do you see a routine of when Remy usually barks? If he's doing that annoying bark in the mornings it's likely because he is full of energy and needs adequate energy outlet. When pups hit 6 months, their energy level goes up a notch or two and they need an outlet for it or they'll drive you crazy.

My Ren is an only child as well. When Ren was 4 months old, overnight his energy level shot up by 30%. I found I wasn't capable of draining his energy adequately. So I took him to daycare. That made a huge difference in curbing his craziness. When he hit 6 months, there was another overnight spike in energy level. There was no way I could provide the kind of exercise he needed by just walking him. Daycare was critical for my sanity. He's now 16 months and not as crazy bitey. I walk him every morning before I go to work. We go for about 1.5 hours and anywhere between 3-4 miles. Then we come home and he runs a bit around the backyard and then he can settle for the day while we are at work.

If daycare isn't an option, do you have dog parks around you, or maybe there is an enclosed tennis court or something that you can let Remy safely offleash and do a few zoomies? You can also make a flirt pole that Christi used with her Apollo to great success.
    When I am out, Remy is crated and only barks occasionally. It is not an all day thing non stop. Supposedly, once every few hours he will let out 4 barks or so. I have someone who comes to the house 3 days a week on my longer days and plays with him for a while during mid day. Remy does the same thing when I prepare his food! I do believe that it might be energy related, because when we go to stay with my parents he spend all day playing with their golden retriever and we dont have this problem.

The only thing is- remy never did this before we spent 2 weeks there. I think remy is still used to my dads schedule, because when staying with them my dad would wakeup at 5 each morning. So I think the change in schedule and less play time might have something to do with it. Right now my main concerns with him are the barking and chewing of furniture and what-not; which are both probably energy related. I will have to look into a dog day-care but I am not sure if i can afford it. Thanks!

Young Dawg (Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Is the attention seeking always when you and Remy are in the same room, or does it get worse when you are in another room?
    A little bit of both to be honest, but when I am upstairs while remy is down he will only bark if he hears me upstairs, like if i get up to walk to the bathroom and he knows I am there.

Is there a good reason why he canít go upstairs with you? If he absolutely canít, I would try giving him a frozen stuffed Kong to work on while you are up there and see if that helps to distract him.

As for daycare, I took Sebastian as often as I could afford. Sometimes it would be once or twice a month, sometimes it would be twice a week. If he still tolerated other dogs well, he would still be going.

Young Dawg (Member)

remysmomma`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Is there a good reason why he canít go upstairs with you? If he absolutely canít, I would try giving him a frozen stuffed Kong to work on while you are up there and see if that helps to distract him.

As for daycare, I took Sebastian as often as I could afford. Sometimes it would be once or twice a month, sometimes it would be twice a week. If he still tolerated other dogs well, he would still be going.
    Theres just too many things upstairs that he could chew on that i need him not to destroy. Also, as a puppy (6months) I dont want to give him full reign of the house until he can completely handle downstairs. Additionally, I dont want to teach him that he always needs to be by my side, we spend a lot of time together and he needs to learn that sometimes its okay to be alone. I feel like that would just be a quick fix that would cause many more long term problems.

Jewel`s Photos

He's already learned how to be alone because you leave him every day. By your description, you likely inadvertently encouraged the barking because of your choice to keep him out of upstairs. I am not suggesting that you should let him upstairs, that's your choice. Just that it's not as simple as blaming the puppy when you may likely contributed to creating the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by remysmomma View Post
    I dont want to teach him that he always needs to be by my side, we spend a lot of time together and he needs to learn that sometimes its okay to be alone. I feel like that would just be a quick fix that would cause many more long term problems.
    I feel like you will have more success and happier neighbors if you teach him itís okay to be alone by teaching him to associate your absence with things he really likes - favorite toys, special treats, long-lasting chews, etc. Occasional trips to day care helped Sebastian learn that really good things happened when I wasnít around.

Right now, it sounds like you might be teaching him to associate you going upstairs with him feeling frustrated that he canít join you. I agree with Jewel that by letting you leave him at home every day without freaking out, he understands the concept of alone time. What he doesnít understand is why youíre allowed upstairs and he isnít.

If he were my puppy, I would try puppy-proofing the upstairs and seeing if that helps.