Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by chadchad View Post
    In one of the articles it states that these dogs are deaf.... meaning that they only hear what they want?!?!!? In what world is that EVER a desired trait in a dog?
    Unfortunately whatever research you did you appeared to have not actually read the information. This is a breed that has been bred for many centuries to work WITHOUT human instruction/guidance. For that exact reason, they aren't wired to please or obey humans like all the other breeds that have been bred specifically to please/obey humans. Being able to make independent decisions is THE most desired trait for a livestock guardian dog.

Pyrs can react every differently to training or correction as compared to other breeds. With a lot of breeds, if you are stern with them, they are contrite and will try to engage in the behavior that pleases you. If you are stern with a pyr, don't be surprised to find the pyr to go NUTTIER. There are plenty of individuals in this breed that are calm and laid back and don't need much training. But there are certain individuals that are high spirited and I can tell you from experience, those are not for novice owners.

If you had acquired your pyr as a LGD, and at almost 2 yrs old she doesn't know her own strength and has no self-control when playing with smaller animals then she doesn't sound like she's suited for LGD work. Not all pyrs are cut out to be LGDs. If she's harming your other animals because she has prey drive, that's not a desired trait for a LGD. If she's harming your other animals because she has no impulse control, that's also not a desired trait for a LGD.

If you truly dislike this dog, and I give you credit for admitting that, then the right thing to do is to find her a new home. Not every dog is suited for every family. It's like sometimes divorce is the best thing for a couple. There was another member a few years back who gave away her pyr because the pyr repeated attacked their other dog. The pyr went to a rescue and found another home. Neither the rescue nor the new family saw any aggression in that dog and the new family loved that dog.

If you want to attempt to work with this dog, you have to be able to change your attitude. mikelg84 has made a extremely generous offer to help. But if you read his posts, you would see that he's very committed and is putting the tremendous amount of work to educate Pippa. If you have a negative attitude when you work with your dog, you are just wasting your time because you are likely going to make yourself and your dog mutually miserable. If your wife isn't ready to give up the dog, then perhaps she needs to be the one putting in the intense commitment to work with the dog. If she's unable to commit to do that and is relying on you to do that, then you need to be honest and admit that this dog needs to be with another family.

Puppy (New Member)

Default Update

Apparently I didn't hate my dog as much as I thought. After my neighbor chewed me out for her barking. I began the search for a new home for Lady. Today she's headed to a big farm with lots of room and other animals. It was sad to see her go, but she'll be happier there. Thanks everyone.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

tough decision...but one made with Lady's best interest in the fore front...

hope all works out for her, and you & your family

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Sad that I didn't get to see Lady. Hope that everything works out for her and your family.

Puppy (New Member)

Default Another Update

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    Sad that I didn't get to see Lady. Hope that everything works out for her and your family.
    Thanks Again for the offer.

Another update...

Lady injured a Cat at her new home.
    The lady is currently trying to find another home for her....sigh

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Here is a list of contacts for National Great Pyr Rescue, as well as their affiliate local organizations:

https://www.nationalpyr.org/contacts

Also, I am a member of this Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1401...group_activity
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Falkor's mama`s Photos

I don't understand why a dog that seems to have cat aggression was put in another house with a cat and introduced to said cat the first day the dog is at his new home. Huge adjustment for him being in a new home plus added stress of a cat. Maybe they can find the dog a place with no cat and ease him into his new situation.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Falkor's mama View Post
    I don't understand why a dog that seems to have cat aggression was put in another house with a cat and introduced to said cat the first day the dog is at his new home. Huge adjustment for him being in a new home plus added stress of a cat. Maybe they can find the dog a place with no cat and ease him into his new situation.
    ^^^^^ THIS! As soon as I read that Lady had been re-homed to a large farm with room to roam, I saw disaster in the making. Unless a more mature Pyr was there to show Lady the ropes, I wouldn't expect any change in behavior. Lady needs training... which is a HUGE commitment... the training really never stops. It is a tall order... I know. The Pyr's legendary "stubbornness" doesn't lend any favors either. My relationship with my Wiley has been strained at times. I've told several people that I should have worried less about HIS temperament, and more about MINE when I brought him home. I freely admit I'm not the most patient person... and Wiley knows how to push my buttons! Sometimes, I just have to walk away... before I do something I regret. I've learned a lot about both Wiley AND myself through this process. Pyr's are not an easy... nor am I. I told myself when I brought Wiley home that I'd do the best I could for him. Sometimes I fall short. Luckily, Wiley's been pretty resilient & forgiving... we'll get there.