Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default I hate my Pyrenees!! ADVICE wanted

The title is true-- it's not just an attention getter. I have a female Great Pyrenees that is 1 3/4 years old, and I HATE her. My wife and I have a small farm and we currently have 5 goats. We thought adding a guard dog would be a great addition to the farm. We did some research including reading forums and articles like "so you think you want a Great Pyrenees". Apparently we didn't take to heart some things.... This dog is just too stinking excited about life. She jumps on people constantly and nothing can deter her. In one of the articles it states that these dogs are deaf.... meaning that they only hear what they want?!?!!? In what world is that EVER a desired trait in a dog? I don't mind the barking, or the wandering, or the growling when she's disturbed while eating. I realize she isn't a standard breed. But this animal almost killed our cat, because it wanted to play. It also dragged one of our goats around the pen by her ear, again i presume it was playing. My kids cannot even go near her or she'll be on them. 100 lb dog beats a kid every time. I have heard that these dogs can calm down with age--- but who wants to deal with a big uncontrollable deaf dog for 3 years until they mature??? Is there any hope for me and this dog or should I begin searching for a new home for her?
    Thanks

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

can you send her back to the breeder you got her from?

a puppy learns from a mature adult as to what their "job" is....LGD or companion...did she have that direction available to her?

how do you exercise her? what do you do to mentally stimulate her...do you show her how to work, right from wrong?

no..they are not "deaf"...they hear what you say...they actually "think" about the "request" & decide if it is the right action at the time..

I'd say you are right...you did not take the article on "so you think you want a Great Pyrenees" seriously...so, in my humble opinion, either get out there & teach her what it is you expect from her....or find her another home...no one wants to be where they are not wanted....no matter the species

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Truth be told, the behavior you describe doesn’t sound all that far off for a dog her age of any breed - particularly one who lacks proper training and socialization. You can’t blame the dog here - this one’s on you.

Dogs aren’t born magically knowing how to behave. They also aren’t born speaking English. You have to teach them what is expected of them, and what your verbal cues mean. This takes time, energy, and a whole lot of patience. Yes, Pyrs require a bit more to motivate them to follow your lead, but it’s possible if you know what you are doing or bother to take the time to learn.

I say that from raising a difficult puppy myself. Sebastian’s puppy antics are well-known around here, and while they drive me to tears more times than I can count, they never EVER drove me to dislike him.

If you really, truly, hate this dog, PLEASE return her to her breeder or make arrangements to give her a chance at the loving home every dog deserves. They are smart enough to know the difference. However, I would think twice about ever bringing another dog into your life. Unless you are willing to do the work to show the dog what is expected of it, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t like a different dog any better than you like your Pyr.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Ok Chad, the behaviors you've experience is very similar to my previous LGD. This breed isn't meant for the faint hearted esp when it is going through the teenage phase. I spend an hour training Kit every day and her behavior has significantly improved. She used to lunge at people and other dogs; now she just does that occasionally with some dogs. It is typically ones that are simlar in size.

Once a dog is resource aggressive, it is very hard to train that out of him or her. I had been very careful training Kit because of my previous experience with this. It can be quite dangerous for children and animals. It will take a lot of dedication on your part to break this. Given the title and some of the issues you've mentioned, I am wondering if it is fair for your dog to continue to live with you. Maybe your pup can find a new family that previously owns great pyreneeses that can provide her the care she needs. You can perhaps return her to a breeder or a responsible neighbor who alrady owns a Pyr.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t like a different dog any better than you like your Pyr.
    Not true, I have another dog and she is AMAZING. I did deserve a bit of scolding though-- my post was written 5 minutes after my pyr almost killed my cat, so things were a bit raw. I do not think the breeder is going to take her back considering its been a year and a half since we got her. I do want to find another home for her though. I agree that someone needs to like this dog, I am just finding it to be difficult to like a dog that isn't learning. I am NOT a professional dog trainer, but I do read, and have followed a lot of advice and have seen very little if any progress. My other dog like I said is amazing.

I think i can safely say that I made a mistake. I did some research, but apparently not enough. I could just suck it up and hope that the dog matures, but like some of you said... Maybe I need to get this dog to someone who would actually enjoy it. Or maybe someone that likes claw marks on there face and has too many cats around.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Unless you are willing to do the work to show the dog what is expected of it, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t like a different dog any better than you like your Pyr.
    If you’re going to quote me, it might be helpful to include the full quote. The whole part about showing the dog what is expected of it is pretty integral to what I was trying to say as a whole.

Your other dog is AMAZING? Congratulations. You got lucky. Either you adopted an older dog and someone did the hard puppy work for you, or you raised a naturally easy puppy. That doesn’t change the fact that when it came to your Pyr, you ignored the research you did, neglected to set your Pyr puppy up for success, and are now blaming the dog for being a normal puppy when YOU didn’t do your work. She didn’t drag your goat around by the ear because she’s bad. She did it because you allowed her to be in with the goats unsupervised before she was ready. Same with the cat. If you know she’s going to nearly kill the cat, why is she repeatedly being given the opportunity to do so?

I’m not a professional dog trainer, either. Yes, I’d had some training experience before Sebastian, but literally nothing I had learned before really applied to him. I literally had to relearn everything I thought I knew about dogs. It turns out that they’re a lot more cooperative when you work with them instead of against them.

If there is any chance that you might be willing to turn things around with this dog, I am going to suggest two books for you to read - books that are based in current behavioral science. “How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves”, by Dr. Sophia Yin, and “The Other End of the Leash” by Patricia McConnell, PhD.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Hey Chad, I see that you are from Michigan. I am *from* Michigan too. Grew up by the Pyrenees mountains in Northern Spain, but moved to the States for school. I have always been fascinated by this breed because of my roots.

I have a 1 year old mixed Pyr female. If you don't want to see a trainer or a behaviorist, I am willing to meet up with you any day and give you some advice and tips on how to socialize your dog. I AM NO EXPERT, but I have a great deal of experience in training my pyr. I think going over some training rules, how to socialize your dog, places where you can go with your dog during your free time, understand some of the behaviors shown by your dog, etc.. might end up being very helpful. Let me know what you think. This is the only thing I can think of right now to help you with some of the "issues" that you're having with your dog. We could meet at a park near Grand Rapids area (I go there pretty ofter since I have family living there) and discuss some of the issues that are making you unhappy. Please let me know. I would love to help! Free of charge of course!

My dog is very mellow and she loves to play with other dogs her size. And please, don't be mad at your dog. She doesn't know any better! She was never told what is right and what is wrong, but it's almost never too late to change that.

Falkor's mama`s Photos

I have a pyr and he is wonderful and precious. At the beginning though, he had several issues that he needed help with. I payed attention to him and trained him. I will add that in order to train him, I NEVER had to be physical with him. He learned because I was patient with him and used food. I adopted him when he was 3 and I was able to train him at that age, so age doesn't matter. I have to say that by reading the word "HATE" though, it tells me that you are not willing to put forth the effort to train your dog and that your house is not the best place. It seems you have made up your mind about this animal, and its life would be better spent with someone who has the time to train and socialize the animal. Those two things (training and socialization) are very important for any giant breed especially a protection breed. They are just like children. You can't expect a child that grows up with no rules/boundaries to be a great kid. Same thing for the pyr. No rules=bad behavior.Please find a good home for it. Not every home should have a pyr, but every pyr should have a loving home. Best of luck.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    I am willing to meet up with you any day and give you some advice and tips on how to socialize your dog.
    mikelg84 --- I might take you up on this offer.

Here's another timely story..... I just got a very angry voicemail from my next door neighbor. Apparently the barking "incessant all day and night" is "against the law" and is "disturbing the peace". The dog does bark lightly at night but I actually liked that trait about the dog. I've always understood it to be the "warning bark" to any potential predators. It's not annoying but calm and soothing...... at least to me. Sad thing is my neighbor was REALLY ticked. I have never heard one thing from him before... not sure what set him off now. Could have been a drunk call.

I'm ready to find her a new home but my kids and wife aren't ready for that.
    So...... she might be coming to live inside.

Puppy (New Member)

forgot to mention--- I do live in the country.
    This is my only neighbor... he lives about 150 yards away on the other side of some timber.