Thread: Best leash

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Falkor's mama`s Photos

Smile Best leash

Hello there! I was wondering if anyone has found a good leash for walking your pyr. I was using a harness, but realized it activated his "pull" instinct and he pulls me a lot. With a dog of his size, I want to have a nice comfortable/safe walk with no pulling. Any recommendations? Thank you

Road Dawg

Hi Falkor's Mom,

I am currently training (not that training ever ends with dogs) my almost 10 month old male GP mix using a properly fitted choke chain, a 6ft nylon lead that has 2 handles like this one---> https://www.trendyhounds.com/prodima...sh-Black01.JPGas well as I always have his favorite treat on hand for a little extra bribe to watch me over anything or anyone else.

When I chose to use a choke chain (only for walks on leash) I looked up sizing guides as well as I watched videos on how to properly put on and use the chain. I decided to use it for the exact reason you are describing....Judge had his pulling moments and I just wanted a little extra control when needed. Ultimately I hope to train the pulling right out of him and get rid of the chain completely.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Yep! They are seriously strong when they see something they want to pull. I use the easy walk and gentle leader by petsafe. The gentle leader is the most effective but your dog will love rubbing on you while getting used to the gentle leader.

Jewel`s Photos

I use the 2" wide martingale collar. Ren is not big for a male, but he's the biggest one we've had since our other purebred pyrs were females. I like the martingales because when I need it, I pull up on the small loop for quick control. The wider width also gives more leverage.

I've used both the choke and the head halter. I actually used the choke for years but found the martingale to be more effective. The head collar worked ok, but it left a line over the fur on the snout and I didn't like that.

I've also used the harness. Harness doesn't work at all for Ren... because he figured out I can't pull him forward when he's wearing the harness and he would take full advantage of that. He can quite an a$$...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Harness doesn't work at all for Ren... because he figured out I can't pull him forward when he's wearing the harness and he would take full advantage of that. He can quite an a$$...
    I used a harness on all my puppies until Rona arrived... She must have taken lessons from Uncle Ren since she has figured out this same thing. Makes me crazy. My neck can't stand the pulling but half the time she doesn't want to move. You know what trying to get a dog to move in an anti-pull harness looks like?! I'm almost at the point of fitting her with multiple types of gear before I head out on a walk and shifting the leash between them!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Kit is strong enough that she has pulled me over with the martingale. I think it is important to use each collar correctly because most people don't.

The martingale works well for dogs who need an occasional correction during training but it works less well for well-established pullers. I only use the martingale during training sessions as an correctional tool for when she pulls. These two collars does two different things. To me the martingale is a correction collar and if you want to train your dog not to pull on a martingale, you can use it during training sessions where you are correctiong the dog's behavior. If you want the dog to not pull because you've yet taught him or her, then I would use the gentle leader. The gentle leader does not teach your dog not to pull and is not a training tool. It is simply a restraing so that you can get a control of your dog. Remember, you cannot pull the gentle leader. It is a leading collar and not a correctional one.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I have two that I really like for my two. I use the Easy Walk (front clip no-pull) Harness with a Mendota Rope Lead for quick trips out front, or the equivalent. For trips to the vet or other times that I need more control, I use the Freedom Harness, which comes with a lead that attaches to the harness both in front and between the shoulders.

Having used choke chains growing up, I will say that I would advise against them UNLESS you know how to use one properly. They are meant to be used as a training tool as opposed to a restraint. If your dog is going to pull and pull and pull while wearing one, he runs the risk of doing some serious risk to his trachea. Another drawback to the choke chain is that the dog always needs to stay on the same side (for me, it was always my left) in order for the chain to be self-releasing.

Ultimately, though, the best tool is the one that works best for you. It took Sebastian and me some trial and error before we found what works best for us.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Remember, you cannot pull the gentle leader. It is a leading collar and not a correctional one.
    YES!! Wholeheartedly second that 1000 times.

GL works very well for some dogs. My best friend had a rhodesian ridgeback that was a puller. It wasn't fun walking 85 lbs of solid muscle built to bolt. Then they discovered the GL. When they put that GL on her, she walked like a dream.

I used the GL on Bijou when she was less than a year old because she jumped on every person within 5 feet of her. With the GL, I could keep her head from going up, and if the head couldn't go up, the feet stayed on the ground.