Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default How much shedding is there?

It might not be snowing in FL this winter but it is certainly snowing in my house. It is that magical time of the year when Kit is blowing her coat. This typically happens a lot later in FL because of the tropical weather. I vaccum four times a day and there is still hair everywhere. I wish I was exaggerating. Kit has a lot more hair than Sahara because she is 25% longer and 25% wider but 100% fluffier. Hair here! Hair there! Hair EVERYWHERE! I lint roller the sofa, lint roller the bed, lint roller all my chairs. If she visits any of these surfaces, the hair will be there! The tumble weed tends to hide in every corner, nook and cranny.

So you might say to rake her with my double rake. It seemed like the hair is falling out at a record rate after her bath. I comb her every day and there is still more hair falling off when I pet her!! :afraid: Kit, should I start a weaving company? How much dog hair have I eatten? I hear it provides a good source of carbs and fiber. Who needs rice when you have dog hair ŗ la carte? Unless I lint roller myself everyday, it looks like I live in a barn with animals. Forget about wearing black, wool, or cotton for that matter. Best to just wear spandex 24-7 like a serious gym goer. The shedding is clearly causing me to have a mental breakdown and I am only half kidding.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

it does seem as if they shed more after being bathed...

I guess I have lived with Pyr & Aussie fur for so long...I no longer see it!

Puppy (New Member)

Oh my. You just described my house!! Lol. Except I also have a golden retriever and a mixed breed and they all shed horribly. I live in Texas so I know what youíre going through. Iím pretty sure my vacuum is going to blow up soon. I buy lint rollers in 5 packs at Costco. My Sadie is losing all her pup fluff as well. Argh. But itís worth the hassle to have them all.

snow0160`s Photos

I adore Kit! I forgot how bad the shedding is during times when she blow her coat. I had Sahara, previous Maremma for 8 years, and I feel like senior dogs shed less...A LOT less. Kit has way more undercoat than Sahara.

Sahara did not require physical contact and always sat close to you rather than on you. Kit is very cuddly and clingy which I like except during times like this during coat changes. Kit is a very sweet dog and loves to come up to rub up against you or put her head in your lap while you worked or watched tv or slept. Almost all of my clothing has Kit hair on it no matter how hard I try to keep it clean.

If you look at my bed, one side is a lot hairier than the other. She enjoys sleeping at the foot of the bed even if there isn’t very much room. I will sometimes bend my leg all night so she can stay there. The other day a kid called Kit a “Marley dog” because the neighbors must have been talking to my husband. She is a lot of trouble like Marley but oh so loveable!

Jewel`s Photos

Sahara was also spayed. Spayed bitches don't blow coat like intact ones. When Bijou was intact, she blew coat according to her heat cycle. She blew coat once a year, in March. So by August and scorching hot, she had a full coat. After she was spayed she stopped doing the big coat blows.

Ren went through his yearling coat blow back in August/Sept. He looked naked after the coat blow.

snow0160`s Photos

Jewel, I think I remember reading a post where you said that. I must have forgotten about that aspect of it. Today, I took Kit to Petsmart for a stronger leash and she was so well behaved. The Petsmart employees were so in love with her and she loved to rub on them. She got lots of her hair on their black slacks. I apologized and told them that she is blowing her coat. They comiserated with me about their own dog's shedding issues. haha.

snow0160`s Photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15F1FD9F-42E3-4213-A042-1EAC76A96F7A.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	9577 she looks like she is gonna launch a new Apple product!

Ahh I have so much Kit hair everywhere! I vacuum the same area three times a day and it is making me crazy. Hair in the fibers of my dress, sofa, bed, floors, counters, yard, and yes even food. Her hair also floats so I’ve been breathing it in! I’ve been raking her constantly and it reduces the shedding but always more to go aeoumd! I looked online for a solution and got desperate. I ordered the Shed Defender, which is essentially a dog leotard. It has 3/5 stars on amazon but I was pleasantly surprised how well it works. Kit is unhappy and Paul doesn’t want to walk her with it on. Hopefully it holds up to teenage Kit.

Jewel`s Photos

LOL, she looks like she's wearing her surfing wetsuit...

Are you raking her inside your house? I've always found raking must be done outdoors because it pulls up undercoat without any means to contain it like a pin brush or a slicker would do.

If you are really lucky, this is her first and last post-heat coat blow and that she's one of those that won't do big coat blows after spay.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Seeing Kit in her wet suit brought this to mind:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90B30E29-FE83-4C77-9789-2095B3BA6F5F.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	9578

My Mom saw something about the Shed Defender on TV (I think a morning news show) and sent me a link to their website a few months ago. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I have no doubt Sebastian would (actually) kill me if I tried to put that on him. At the very least, I can see him pooping on my bed.

He did manage to kill the gear box on the upstairs Roomba last week. Enough of his hair got into just the right spot, and pushed an important gear so far out of place that it broke the cleaning head casing. Sadly for him, it was a fast and easy fix, thanks to Amazon!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

I like the Audrey Hepburn reference better than my Steve Jobs idea. ahhh.. shedding season! It seems like everyone here is going through the same thing! Actually, the Shed Defender dog leotard was originally created for a St. Bernard. I get this feeling this breed sheds a lot. Can't imagine a dog that can shed more than Kit but I guess when you are massive, there is going to be more hair. Kit has really gotten used to the suit. It took about 2 days.

Jewel, I raked her outside once and then got yelled at by a board member on the HOA. A member was passing by and literally came to specifically yell at me. Ughh!! I really hate the HOA. This woman was the worst!! She is the community nazis handing out massive fines to people violating stupid rules like planting the right plant or not moving your trash can. A neighbor got fined $200 because her sidewalk was uneven due to an overgrown tree root. This vile individual deserves some Kit poo on her lawn except I'm too scared to cross her. If I had god like powers, I would send all the animals in this neighborhood to poo on her lawn.