Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default New owner of a rescued Great Pyrenees mix

I want to introduce myself and my dog, Latte. I hope it is ok to post in these forums if my dog is not a purebred. Latte is a 9 month-old Great Pyrenees/Rottweiler mix we adopted from a local rescue group. She was found abandoned on the roadside with her two litter mates and lived in foster care before we adopted her at 5 months old. I am posting here because she looks more Great Pyrenees than Rottweiler to me, and I may be a wee bit in denial about the Rottweiler part because of concerns about possible aggression (we recently learned of her breeds through a DNA test). Fortunately, she is friendly and loving, and has shown no signs of aggression. Firm and kind training will continue to be a part of our lives!

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can determine if I am feeding her enough? She weights about 58 lbs. at 9 months (although exact age is only an estimate). She currently eats 4 cups of dry food per day, split into 2 feedings (this is a recent increase from what we had been feeding her). I am feeding her the high end of the recommended amount on the bag of food for her current weight, but I don't know if this is how much she is SUPPOSED to weigh given that she is a mix of breeds. She eats her food in about 30-60 seconds and always wants more. Also, I know she was malnourished and underweight when she was rescued, so she may always be on the small side. I don't want to over-feed her and risk other health problems, either.

Thank you for any other need-to-know information you can provide about our new family member!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Latte.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	9474  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! It is absolutely okay to post about mixed breed dogs here, especially when you include photos! Latte is gorgeous! Thank you for giving her the loving home every dog deserves!

I received one of the doggie DNA test kits as a Christmas gift, and have been meaning to send in Sebastianís DNA to see what they say he is. Iím already pretty sure that he is Saint Bernard, Pyr, and Anatolian Shepherd. If the results come back somewhere along those lines, I will get another kit to see what they have to say about my other dog, Chester. The test kits have the reputation of being somewhat unreliable in determining breed mix.

As far as her weight goes, the best way to determine if she is a healthy weight is her body condition. You should be able to feel her ribs without having to press down too hard, but not see them. Keep in mind that it is good for them to be on the leaner side - especially while they are growing. 4 cups a day for a pup her age and size sounds reasonable.

I look forward to hearing more about her!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

lattelove`s Photos

Hi, SebastiansMom! Thank you for the advice about feeding and weight. I have taken to feeling her ribs as you suggest since it's hard for me to see how much fat she has because of her thick coat (it's hard to see in the picture I posted, but she does have a pretty dense coat). I worry sometimes that I am under-feeding her because of how quickly she eats and how hungry she always seems. But I think some dogs will eat to gluttony if you let them, so maybe that is not a good guide.

Sebastian is a beautiful dog, and I can definitely see why you say he has Saint Bernard in his lineage! I have heard conflicting things about the reliability of the DNA tests, and I think some of it depend on just how "mixed" the dog is. In Latte's case, I learned through our vet that the lady who adopted her two litter mates had them DNA tested. We were all shocked to find out the results were 50% Great Pyrenees/50% Rottweiler! Everyone had thought they were a mix of Golden Retriever and some kind of terrier or shepherd (I've attached the picture the rescue group posted when they were puppies). I had actually just purchased a DNA test kit for my kids for Christmas (I thought it would be a great family project since we were having so much fun trying to figure out what she was), but hadn't done the test yet. We just got the results back last week, and since they were the same as her litter mates' results, that gives me more confidence in them. I don't know if we used the same company or not.

The testing also revealed that she has genotypes for a fawn/sable coat color with possible black tips on ears or tail (which she does), and white markings (which she does have). It also correctly identified that her hair is wavy (which it is, although you can't really see it in my photo of her) and short to moderately short. I found it interesting that they identified those facts.

Thanks for the welcome!

Name:	Latte Mocha Godiva.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	9475  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

mixed breeds welcome...especially since you bribed us first with a photo of your cutie!!!

which breed are you concerned with regarding aggression...the Pyr or Rottie? Some of the sweetest dogs I have ever been around have been Rotties!

just wondering...are you feeding her a formula for large breeds?
    is she still on puppy food?
    she may be eating quickly because of her earlier situation....you might want to get her a puzzle bowl that will slow down her consumption...so that she will taste her meals rather than inhale them.

as Sebastians Mom stated, it's about body condition, not weight...what does your vet say?

Rudy is 5 years...and has maintained his weight at around 74 pounds....don't let the number fool you...it's all muscle! I can feel his ribs...once I get through all his fur!

thank you for rescuing this cute little girl...hope you have many wonderful adventures together...and we get to hear all about them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attention!.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	9476

lattelove`s Photos

Hi, nick's spirit! Yes, it is the Rottweiler part that would have me concerned about possible aggression (especially around our children) since many of them are bred for that trait, and I do not know the parents of my dog. I have to admit that I probably would not have knowingly adopted a Rottweiler mix, but since Latte was in a foster home (with a rescue agency that is well-known and respected in our community) before she came to us, we were able to find out details about her temperament and interactions around children and other animals before adopting her. She's a great dog with a wonderful personality. I know many Rottweilers are as well, but that part did get my attention!

Yes, she is still on puppy food, but we have not been feeding her a large-breed formula since we did not know her breed (and how large she may actually grow) until just recently. I am looking to switch foods anyway since I just learned that the brand we have been using (Blue Buffalo) is involved in a lawsuit over lead contamination in their food. I am going to look for a new puppy food intended for large breeds. Any recommendations would be welcome (I prefer grain-free since my daughter has celiac disease and should not handle wheat/gluten even when feeding our dog).

I have only seen the vet once since we adopted her (she had all of her shots just before coming to live with us), and I did not specifically ask him about her weight at that time since I just recently started wondering about it, but he did not express any concern. She has been gaining about 5 lbs. per month since we got her, which sounds like a healthy weight gain to me. I like the puzzle bowl idea and will consider getting one.

Thank you for the welcome. We are really enjoying getting to know her and watch her grow. We have lots of experience with other dog breeds, but Latte is our first large breed, so there is still lots for us to learn.

Jewel`s Photos

What a cutie!!!

Pyrs can have sharp temperament too, depending on the bloodline. Socialize your girl as extensively as possible.

With food you are basically looking at calcium/phosphorous ratio. You want calcium to be less than 1.5%.

Instinct, Castor Pollux, Horizon Legacy all have acceptable calcium content. I mention those because I fed those to Ren who is now 16 months old. I didn't really focus on using only puppy formula. I just checked the calcium content. The large breed pup formula is supposed to have the appropriate calcium and it is also has a tiny lower fat level.

Wellness Core, Merrick and Taste of the Wild has hight calcium content for large breed pups. At over a year old, Ren can now be on the foods with higher calcium content so he's on Wellness Core.

lattelove`s Photos

Jewel, thank you for the information about the food. And yes, we are socializing her as much as possible, and she is doing very well with that. We seem to have a very high dog ownership rate in our town, so we always encounter other people and dogs on our walks or when I take our youngest to the park. We have also had several family and friends visit us since we adopted her, and some have even brought their dogs over. She is doing very well with people and other dogs with the exception of continuing to want to jump up on people (including us). Work continues on that. We had 6 family members stay with us over the holidays, and we were surprised at how well she adjusted to that with the help of lots of extra chew toys to keep her occupied!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Hello and welcome from another Texan (just out of Corpus Christi) You girl is a darling and that picture--it is if she is saying "Make sure that thing you are holding captures just how cute I really am". We adopted our Sir Moose in Sept. 2014. I had grown up with English Setters, and then an Irish Setter showed up , skinny, lots of fleas and ticks, and no collar. No ads in Lost and Fopund, no posters...I had him 8 years and when he went to the Bridge, got an Irish Setter puppy and had him 12 1/2 years. Three years before his death our son got a golden retriever to train as a duck retrievers and I fell in love with the breed and ended up with 5 of my own over the years. When Honey died , I decided on a Pyr, the breed we had always admored. I did research and decided to adopt one. We addicted 7 yer old blind Shaggy, hence my name as I joined when we adopted him. However, lost him 3 1/2 weeks later to hemangiosarcoma. The resc ue (Texas Great Pyrenees Rescue) said I could have rerfund or pic another Pyr. Just those 3 1/3 weeks with that awesome blind Pry was enough for us to know we wanted another.

Moose was 7 years old. He had been found at age 3 stealing food from the salad bar of one of the open air cafes along the Rive Walk in San Antonio. They thought it was a Saint Bernard becaue of his markings and called the SB resuce. But as soon as they saw him they said no, he was abadger Pyr and turned him to the Pyr Rescue. I have a picture of him with his foster and he was shaved--doesn't even look like Moose. I suspect he was so matted they ha to shave him. Anyway, he was adopted and the couple had him 4 years--named him Moose. But then they decided to move back ot Minn and open and run Bed and Breakfast and he was going to be a fishing guide, etc. Becaue of the barking and shedding and size, they didn't think it wa a good idea to have Moose there. Contract with rescue says if you have to give your dog up, you return it to the rescue. They decided to turn him back a couple of months before they move and foster him in hopes of getting to meet whoever adopted him. And it worked out that way. We met them half way (they were in Austin) and got Moose. They were almost in tears and asked if I would e-mail and tell them how me made the trip, etc. I did. I sent pictures of him in our yard and at the beach and told of his adventures. Then later on they asked if we would take their 11 year old golden retrieve, Sophie. She had such bad arthritis in her hips and knees and they got to worrying about how she would handle the harsh Minn. winters. We jumped at the chance. They had had her sine she was 5 weeks old when her mother was killed. To this day, over three years later I still send them "Sir Moose News). Sadly, we lost Sophie Oct. '16, just shy of her 13th birthday. But those 20 months with her was great and we adored that little girl. Jill sent me a lot of copies of pictures of Sophie thru the yers (love the little puppy pictures) and of Moose after they got him. They sent Sophie;s favorite toy, her Teddy bear, and I have several pictures of her carrying it around.

Since I am "queen" of our domain, I decided to knight Moose, and he is now Sir Moose, LOL. He lets all the dogs in the area know that he is the most handsome, smartest, most loved, most spoiled dog in our little town. He protects from acorns hitting the roof, leaf blowing by window, birds of prey he sees when we are outside (he doesn't mind any other birds, even at the feeders just off patio. He loves people, especially kids. He gets a walk every morning and actually sulks if he doesn't get it. I am 72, hubby will be 74 in March and once in a great while his arthritis is acting up in his knee and he can't really walk Sir Moose. I have sciatica and cant' walk far.

Your puppy eats like a golden retriever puppy--they inhale their food. Sir Moose eats STRANGE. He gets a mouth full from his pan and drops it on the floor and then eats it. Constant floor cleaning for us. He was diagnosed a year ago with liver disease and put on hepatic food, which he refused to eat. I had him on Taste of the Wild til then. Becaue would not eat he lost so much weight. I researched and started cooking for him. It took a while to build his appetite back. And when we tried to get him back in kibble, he would not touch it. We tried everything from the TOTW to Pedigree (which his former owners had fed him). He would just pick at them and we ended up giving them our son. When we evacuated for Hurricane Harvey I bought a bag of Nature's Recipe greain free--andhe loved it. He gets it for breakfast most mornings now, but I still cook his supper.

By the way, I understand you worry about the rottie. I have always been nervous around them. But my niece and her husband have had two and they were just big marshmallows.

If pictures show, this is our Sir Moose. The one in snow was taken Dec. 8, our veryunepected 4" of snow. Sow is very rare down here, very rare indeed. One is of hinmon the bed with one of our granddaughters.One of him and hubby on beach, an then the oen of him shaved with his foster. Doesn't look like same dog does it?

Name:	100_2736.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3237.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	9478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baldy moose.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	9479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2907.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	9480  
    Jerry and Moose

lattelove`s Photos

Nice to meet you, Shaggy's mom! I'm wondering how my pup will do in the Texas heat next summer!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Lattelove, our Sir Moose does just fine. He DOES like to dig holes under the cedar tree and lay in the cool sand. AOnce it gets war he gets his walks VERY early in th morning. Apparently there are several around in this area that guard cttle, goats and freee rang chickens. When we lived in Austin from '72 to '88, one of our oldet son had a friend who had a Pyr named Samson--he was 160 pounds, HUGE. And a guy that worked with my hubby had a pair of pyrs. I never sas the, but Samson lived at the end of our street, and some and Arthur would brign him down to our house when he was waling him. They did just fine and Austin is hotter than down here as we usully have at little breeze off the gulf most of the time
    Jerry and Moose