Thread: Brrrrr

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Brrrrr

We are having an unusually cold winter here on the Texas coast---and Sir Moose is loving it. Winter before last we never got below freezing. Last winte we had two nights in a row where it dropped to 22---and killed my hibiscus and level our fire bushes and poinsettia--which all ere cut to ground and sprouted back We called it our "two day Winter"

But this year has been a real winter. We got 4" of snow on Dec. 8. Here, we get snow on average of every 30 years and we had gotten about 5" on Christmas Eve 2004, the first in 30 years--and that had only been an inch. Was so rare the 2004 snow as called the Miracle Snow (especially since it fell Christmas eve night/Christmas Day morning and a coffee table bok was published using pictures and stories people sent in.

anyway we hit several days where it got down into the mid to low 30's in Dec with highs in 40's. I went into the hospital Dec. 27 and a day or so later hubby and son brought in a lot of our outdoor plants and covered what they couldn't bring in as it was down in the upper 20's for about 3 days. I got out of hospital on the 4th and it looked like a nursery in our dinning with all the plants. I have started 2 avocado trees and one is almost 4' tall, the other only a foot. Plus a couple of other tall plants and many small ones.

Son came over and he and hubby got them all back out as it wa in the 60's gain. Then wham, he started getting don in the 30's at night, and then 20's. We have had like five straight ngiths of being in the mid to upper 20's. So once again dining is nursery and our back yard is covered with sheet wrapped plants.

We hare 72 and 73 and believe me, we feel the cold. But hubby makes sure Sir Moose gets his walk every morning. Yesterday morning it was 26 with wind chill of 13 and Sir Moose, at age 10 1/2 and with liver disease, was like a puppy with springs on his feet. He was bouncing around and couldn't be still while Jerry ws getting on hat and coat & gloves. And he will go out on the patio and just lay and not want to come in. He is loving this weather that is freezing us andmaking us so miserable.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Ha!!

the weather can't make all of us happy!!!

but I'm sure it does your heart good to see Sir Moose acting happy....tell Jerry he gets lots of gold stars for going out & taking Moose on his walk!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Shaggy’s Mom, I feel your pain. 2018 has gotten off to what seems like an ususually cold start in Dallas, too. It probably doesn’t help that the last two winters here have been pleasantly mild.

Tuesday Morning, the windchill when I woke up was 2 (That’s degrees Fahrenheit), which meant that two unhappy dogs had to put on their coats to go outside. They’re lucky it wasn’t the dreaded sweaters. When they came back inside, they made sure I knew how upset they were that they had to wear their stupid coats and I didn’t even have the decency to make it snow. After all, the lack of snow is, in their eyes, all my fault.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E74524A8-FD93-4B5D-A396-DF6AABA2D6AB.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	9465

Here they are in Sebastian’s room (formerly known as the front bedroom) watching for the snow that was not to be.

Stay cozy!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Shaggy's Mom sounds like a brutal winter for you guys!
    Here in Denver we are finally going to have a chance for snow last cold front brought us an ice storm! that is not right for Denver and today it is going to be 70 before the front comes in Saturday night.

I can't wait for Zech to experience more than 2" of snow! I took Zech to the Dog park last week and it was so cold no-one was there but us so we walked the whole perimeter together and he loved every second having it to himself. it was 34 when we got back in the car.

It was like 6 here on Monday this week with the ice storm.

Sebastian's mom you put coats on them for the cold? what temperature do you use them below?
    Both Zech and my Shiba have already told me they will mutiny if I try that on them....
    I love the picture of them both so serious and the matching poses,

LOL How DARE YOU not make the snow fall bad mommy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Last week I was walking Pippa and I fell on the ground because of how slippery the sidewalks were (and still are). I didn't break anything, but my back hurt for a couple of days. Instead of falling forward I fell backwards so my back and butt got all the impact. It didn't help that Pippa was pulling me She loves the snow.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Zech’s Mom, I don’t have any set rules about when they have to wear their coats to go outside. I try to go by windchill and whether or not it is raining/snowing/sleeting. Chester is realistically the only one who NEEDS his coat, but I make Sebastian put his on out of fairness. Naturally, Sebastian is more accepting of his coat than Chester is.

Name:	0249AB85-AD1C-4406-8E80-1B8A82AED871.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	9471

Sebastian reminds me a little of a vampire when he wears his coat.

Name:	934294CE-6E6C-436A-A863-732C7127DECB.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	9472

Chester just looks naked. Also, that is Sebastian slobber on his forehead.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

We had to bring plants in AGAIN. Our poor fire bushes are going to have to start over again, poor things. Last Jan. we had two nights where it dropped to 22 and we call it our 2 days winter. Think it was the only elow freezing we had. Anyway, it killed my hibiscus deader doornail. Killed all the firebushes above ground, but we cut the dead off (about 12' tall and they grew back. Were about 10' when Hurricane Harvey hit and fence and neighbor's rain tree fell on them, smush and breaking them, Again, cut back to stump. Had gotten about 8' tall and now...dead above ground again. I thought I lost my poinsettia last Jan and we were ready to dig it up--and it sprouted. Was about 2' tall when Harvey hit, but it got no damage. We had it wrapped good, but part of it is frozen and will have to be removed. As berst as I can tell, our pear tree and orange tree are okay and our lemon is just fine. I had planted another hibiscus, an it is dead above ground. Will hae to wait to see if roots are dead also.

Our plants may not like this cold but Sir Moose sure does. The other morning it ws 26 with wind chill of 13 and Jerry was out waling Sir Moose. Said he couldn't' disappoint the bigt boy. Also, we have noticed that his fur is the thickest it has been since we got him 3 years ago this past Sept. His undercoat feels like a sheep's wooly coat. His top coat is like velvet, most likely because of the tablespoon of organic coconut oil he gets in his supper every night.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Zech’s Mom, I don’t have any set rules about when they have to wear their coats to go outside. I try to go by windchill and whether or not it is raining/snowing/sleeting. Chester is realistically the only one who NEEDS his coat, but I make Sebastian put his on out of fairness. Naturally, Sebastian is more accepting of his coat than Chester is.

These pictures are great! haha

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post

These coats are GREAT I have never had a dog that needed a coat and most I have seen look like costumes more than a useful coat. I love the sebastian slobber touch of reality LOL... most everything I wear seems to get slobber on it somewhere everyday... Zech loves to put his head on my leg or arm right after drinking