Thread: Panosteitis

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Panosteitis

I posted a little ways back about our Gene (our Great Pyrenee mix) who was on occasion being bitey or growly when being picked up. Fast forward, he has Panosteitis. Nancy and Rudy(Nick's Spirit) suggested that I look into that inititially. So Nancy, thank you for that.

Gene is now 7 months. His Panosteitis has been acting up pretty badly. He's limped non stop for over a week now. Maybe about 10 days straight or so. I'm wondering if any of you can share any advice or insight? Do any of you have experience with the bouts lasting that long?

Thanks for any input,
    Kathleen

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KGK View Post
    I posted a little ways back about our Gene (our Great Pyrenee mix) who was on occasion being bitey or growly when being picked up. Fast forward, he has Panosteitis. Nancy and Rudy(Nick's Spirit) suggested that I look into that inititially. So Nancy, thank you for that.

Gene is now 7 months. His Panosteitis has been acting up pretty badly. He's limped non stop for over a week now. Maybe about 10 days straight or so. I'm wondering if any of you can share any advice or insight? Do any of you have experience with the bouts lasting that long?

Thanks for any input,
    Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen, from what I have heard and seen, panosteitis should disappear once your dog stops growing. So, depending on the size of Gene (I don't how big she will get since she's a GP mix), she should not have any pain for much longer. I know someone whose dog had panosteitis for a couple of months as a puppy (9-12 months), and the dog is healthy and happy now. Inflammation meds are used to reduce the pain. I'm sure your vet will be able to give you more advice on how to control the bone tissue inflammation with or without drugs. All the best!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Kathleen....glad you found out what was bothering Gene...however...I think your best bet now is to call your vet....

try not to let Gene get over stimulated or jump...I know how hard it is to keep a puppy quiet, but I think that's something he might have do for right now.

let us know what your vet says, and if the vet puts Gene on any meds...we all learn from the experience of others

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Hi Kathleen,
    Has Gene been neutered? I wonder if that would interfere with it. I'm sorry your poor dog is going through this painful disease. From everything I've read it resolves when the dog reaches maturity and can be neutered.