Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Does your dog head butt you?

Kit has learned that she loves to headbutt me. I took her to the dog park a few weeks ago and I guess she was super happy and had so much fun. I told her it was time to go and started walking in the direction of the gate. She comes running and head butted and kicked my bum literally. Then she started a game of chase Kit. She would slow down and whenever I get close, she runs crazy fast. It takes a solid 10 min for me to catch her. Finally now during walks she tries to jump on my back or bounce off my thigh. She looks very pleased with herself afterwards. My husband says she has also gotten mouthy and would grab his pants. I think it is the crazy cold front. This winter has been very cold here. I know the weather can make your dog act out but does your pyr do this? Passerbyers think it is hilarious but it gets really embarrassing and a pain in the ass. Maybe when she hits two, she’ll behave better? The head butting behavior has me pretty worried because she does a running jump and leaps into me. She has knocked me over twice already. I know she does this to her brother Lucky who does it to her but how do I teach her that you can’t do that to people.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    how do I teach her that you can’t do that to people.
    Now, THAT is the million dollar question!

If I had to guess, I’d say that Kit’s unruly behavior is exacerbated by the cooler weather, but mostly a product of her age. My money is on her (mostly) growing out of this. I say mostly because while Sebastian is FAR better than he was at Kit’s age, every now and again, he still gets a wild hair and decides that I am overdue for Special Hugs. Still, I’ll take Special Hugs over full-on Kill Mommy any day.

Three trainers and two behaviorists were stumped as to how to teach Sebastian not to pretend to maul me in public. I didn’t bother bringing it up with the last two behaviorists we have seen. For us, trying to “correct” him just made the game more fun for him. Ignoring him didn’t necessarily teach him not to do it, but it sucked the fun right out of it, and lessened both the intensity and the duration of the behavior.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Ren is 15 months old.

Let see…

Head butting ………. √
    body slamming …… √
    special hugs ………. √
    Kill Mommy ………... √
    Mouthing …………... √
    Head in crotch ……. √

But I am obliged to give credit that he does follow me when I tell him we are ready to leave the dog park. Granted, I usually take him to the dog park before he’s fed so he’s usually pretty hungry and ready to go home to eat.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Apollo was a very high energy pup and gave us hell for a while. They do grow out of the bratty horrible stage though. I just have to brag a bit on The giant furry beast though. I recently broke my ankle, we are talking Severely shattered the ankle, I had surgery Wednesday to repair it. I have a 3 inch steel plate on the inner side of my ankle with 6 screws, and 2 screws on the outer side of my ankle. Now Apollo is 3 and a half and has been such a good boy!! He hasn't tried to jump on me for hugs, When he gets in bed with me he is mindful of my hurt foot, and he has been more loving with me than ever before. So eventually all the work, embarrassment and down right abuse stops and they become lovely companions.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Christi....I hope that you heal soon...ankles & the foot area are so tender

Glad that Apollo is taking good care of you..I'm sure he's remembering how you nursed him back to health during his parvo episode

And on topic....Rudy who is now 5 going on 6 yrs., was never a big jumper or nose butt guy..except when my neighbor encouraged him to "hug" her....now that she has a big dog of her own, she realizes the effect of her actions!

What Rudy really likes to do is put is head between my legs...whether I'm standing or walking....

Our first Pyr, Spirit, was a "noser" but she seemed to do it only when she was excited & wanted us to hurry up

snow0160`s Photos

Oh...ahh good to hear they are all like this. It is exactly as SB mom describes. I didn’t want to mention this before but Paul says she has been a bit bitey. She tried to playbite at his privates. She mouth me pretty hard on the thighs. She goes right for the thighs which means you know what for a dude. I think she must think crotch biting is a fun game.

He dreads walking her because it looks like she is dangerous but she is just playing or having a tantrum. For her trantrums, she rolls over and straits kicking you while refusing to get up. The last thing is she learned something new from watching my cat Spunky play with Lucky. Now she uses her hands and slaps people as they walk by. We taught her paw as a very young puppy but then our trainer said it would be a bad idea for giant breed dogs because it will hurt later. The trainer has an English mastiff and boy is she right. For this reason, we discouraged it and it had worked quite well until now. She picked it up naturally and paws people or dogs whenever she wants to play. For a lomg time her CGC classes made her a better dog but since she earned her title, we’ve stopped classes and now her behavior is getting worse. She is only 11 months and 2.5 years is a long time from now.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian used to love to bite me on the butt. I am not exaggerating when I say that he ripped a hole in the seat of my favorite jeans while I was wearing them. He really, actually did that. Honest, and for true.

He also liked to stick his nose where the sun don’t shine every time I would get out of the shower. Nothing like a cold dog nose you-know-where to start the day. Even for a dog, he has always been a butt man.

Despite the two black eyes, possible concussion, and untold number of goose eggs and split lips he has given me over the years (he has literally slapped me across the face more times than I can count), I wouldn’t change a thing. He taught me how to 1) curb my emotional response to the little things, and 2) stop caring about the opinions of strangers. Both were amazingly liberating.

Here’s a fun fact: a few weeks ago, a story hit the National news about a national political figure (or two) posting a photo to social media of themselves posing with a controversial cookie cake while at a party at a fine dining restaurant in Dallas. That restaurant is less than a block away from where Sebastian and I used to live, and is, in fact, the very restaurant where a waiter ran out in the middle of his shift because he thought that Sebastian was actually trying to kill me. A few steps down from that spot is where Sebastian gave me my first black eye. If I remember correctly, that was accompanied by loud, profane words coming out of my mouth, and all of it happened in front of a family who was waiting to pick up their two (2) Bentleys from the Valet stand. Oops. So much for us being good ambassadors for giant breed dogs everywhere...

I understand dreading the walks. I used to dread them every day. Now might be a good time to reread some of my very old Sebastian threads. Maybe Paul should read parts of Attack of the Giant Teenage Puppy. If Sebastian turned out okay, I assure you Kit will, too!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    If I remember correctly, that was accompanied by loud, profane words coming out of my mouth, and all of it happened in front of a family who was waiting to pick up their two (2) Bentleys from the Valet stand. Oops. So much for us being good ambassadors for giant breed dogs everywhere...
    Ah, well, I feel pretty good that Bentley Family likely believes that was a St. Bernard they saw...

Speaking of concussion... silly me, how did I forget the bloody nose Ren gave me... oh yes, he probably gave me a concussion with that bloody nose... now THAT was a heck of a head butt!

@snow... I know Kit is a bit of a nightmare right now, but everything you've described sounds pretty normal - as compared to Bijou and Ren... Just one thing... Bijou didn't mature until she turned 4....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Timely thread after tonight's walk with Rona... We just got far enough to make it a long walk home when she went haywire and I was wondering what possessed me to think an evening walk was a good way to drain her before bed?! As I'm trying to remain in an upright position and she launched herself off my hip and into the air, I thought, this must be the beginning of "kill mommy"...! Ru was disapproving of the behavior but when Rona turned it on her, she was happy to stay just out of reach and leave me to deal with the biting, barking, twirling, attacking, jumping, pulling creature that was at the other end of my leash!

snow0160`s Photos

God I love this forum and hearing all of your stories! It makes me smile reading your responses.

Zech sounds like he is way better behaved than Kit was at 7 months. She became a little terror around that age because of a crazy energy spike.

Nick's Spirit, I have taught Kit to "nudge" instead of paw. "Nudge" is basically her nosing my hands. So far so good. I've taught her to nudge my hand to alert me to my phone going off while it is in my purse. She is excellent when I have a treat in my hand.

Christi! I'm sorry about your broken ankle. Your description sounds incredibly painful! A few weeks ago I managed shut the car door on my foot and then locked the car. I didn't think that could happen to a human being but it beats having nerve damage from falling off the ladder dec 2016. I have no idea how I manage to hurt myself every december. It usually involves holiday decors. I sincerely wish for a speedy and painless recovery.

Thank you SB and Jewel for your funny and reassuring stories. SB's photo makes the stories even funnier. I am relieved to see that Kit's behavior is the norm for an LGD pup. Seems like most LGD teengagers are like Beethoven the movie! Paul says she is harder than the other three dogs and two cats combined but she is super endearing. She is our only dog that comes over and cuddles by sitting on you. Since Kit isn't a Pyr, she can't be registered with AKC as a purebred dog. I'm not sure how a registration would even work. Her corrected CGC certificate has not yet come in the mail. I did enjoy training classes but some of her issues will take time to work through.